Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 3, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #14,477 of 37,643
No sadly I wasn't aware of the mod when I owned them.
I would recommend them to people, I really did like them most of the time.

Love wood headphones

The headphones look awesome.

James told me with the mod the 850 is a good alternative to the EX1000, but I was hesitating to buy a pair of new iems which requires a mod. As much as I love good bass I am a treble head, and can't stand anything muddy/dark/boomy regardless of how good it sounds 95% of the time.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #14,478 of 37,643
  Tonights relaxation rig along with compulsory BIG mug of tea & Vaporiser ( Tea and Vapour not in pic lol )

Rockbox'd iPod 5.5g
Playing Gynopedie Number 1 and Other piano pieces by Eric Satie.
Silver Leopard LOD
Little Bear B-1
Beyerdynamic Tesla T70p

RockBox...

cool... Im thinking about maybe doing this.. to my 7th gen iPod...

Do you mind answering a couple of questions? I don't understand much about it... 

1) As I understand I don't have to give up my iPod OS to have RockBox right?
2) Can I access the music on my iPod OS while logged in RockBox?
3) When you connected the device on the computer, do you manage it from iTunes or what?

awe... 

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #14,479 of 37,643

RockBox...

cool... Im thinking about maybe doing this.. to my 7th gen iPod...

Do you mind answering a couple of questions? I don't understand much about it... 

1) As I understand I don't have to give up my iPod OS to have RockBox right?
2) Can I access the music on my iPod OS while logged in RockBox?
3) When you connected the device on the computer, do you manage it from iTunes or what?

awe... 

1. No, It will install onto your iPod, Making it a dual boot system.
2. No, Your Rockbox folder shows as a HOME or whatever folder in your computer section.
You can have music on both OS's but you cant play say an album on your Rockbox firmware from the iPod folder and vice versa.
3. As stated above its all drag and drop for Rockbox.

4. Unfortunately the 7th Gen isn't compatible with the RB firmware. That was the case last time I checked anyhow.*

*Note: Firmware will install but it wouldn't run stable. I cant find any up to date info that says otherwise. :/

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #14,480 of 37,643
I installed rockbox (RB) to a 7g/160GB last year, and it has been actually quite stable. But it seems battery doesn't perform very well under RB comparing to Apple's OF. Also the computer had trouble detecting the rockboxed ipod when connected via USB. This is a generic issue with rockboxed 7g not computer specific. But recently a tip from a fellow head-fi'er to boot into fallback image seems to get the ipod recognized. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #14,483 of 37,643
  Just a quick question, I have a 7G IPC now. What iPod would I have to buy for RB to be fully compatible? Seeing as they've been abandoned and I like iPods, what would be my best bet?

Quote:
That is a great question. I am in exactly the same situation.... Anyone?

This is probably OT here, but below are the two threads where you may want to visit for more info.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/566780

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/532426

To be fully & officially RB compatible , you will have to get those really old ipods videos (5g or 5.5g). The ipod videos are great toys for modding, you can change any parts you want and also desolder/solder/fly wires to bypass the internal amp in order to send clean signals to the lod. Man, these ipods are the best toys I ever had since I was a kid.

The most you can get out of these ipod videos, as of this date, is a 1TB diymod powered by a 2000 mAH battery. The diymod, unlike the RWA iMod, is done by flying wires from dac directly to the lod pins with the pins lifted off board to achieve a clean bypass. A capless diymod when coupled with a capless amp will give a very transparent and neutral sounding. 

Classic 7g is a great piece of gadget if you honestly value the portability combined with good-enough sounding and no-match stability and UI. While I can tell you a capless diymod with a capless amp wins a stock 7g hands down in pure sounding, a 7g modded with a CF card and a 2000mAh  battery will power your music for weeks without the need for charge. The 7g has a capless & well-designed circuitry which yields very clean sounding thru the headphone out. Whether you like the Wolfson or Cirrus dac sound sig that's personal taste. Personally, with the capless diymod setup I find both dac's have more in common than difference, with the Cirrus slightly less analog sounding.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #14,484 of 37,643
I had the 7th Gen iPod before and RB was fully working. But i think dual boot isn't possible - that's reserved for the 5 and 5.5Gen iPods.

Installation of RB on the 7th Gen isn't as easy as using the RB installer, you have to follow the instructions in the IPC thread to fully install RB.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #14,486 of 37,643

a 7g modded with a CF card and a 2000mAh  battery will power your music for weeks without the need for charge. 

Sorry, last bit of OT, but where can I pick up this battery? That kind of mod would really interest me. 
gs1000.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #14,487 of 37,643

1. Main Gear
    1. Shure SE535 (I normally use the comply foam P-Series, but it I need to get more)
    2. Sony PHA-1
    3. Apple iPod 7th generation 160GB
  2. Cables and Connectors
    1. Custom 30pin to USB (I made it myself as the one that comes with the PHA-1 is too long for my liking)
    2. Short 30pin to USB (use to charge the iPod on the go)
    3. Fiio L9
    4. 1/8" to 1/8" shot jack cable
    5. 1/8" to 1/4" gold plated connector
  3. Miscellaneous
    1. Ear buds (I can't get myself to insert anything up my ear without cleaning the screw* out of it) 
    2. Cleaning micro-fibre cloth
    3. Tiny screw driver (you never know when you will need to use one 
      biggrin.gif
      )
    4. Sailers hoek to the case (so i can strap it to my pants at home and walk around)
    5. Lowepro Rezo 60 case

I still want to find a tiny micro usb cable to charge the sony, but everywhere i go there is always someone with a micro usb cable, so its not that bad for now....  

Love the case. I will be ordering one today.. thanks for shearing. :D

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #14,489 of 37,643
BestBuy sells a lot of LowPro cases. They are typically marketed as cases for portable digital cameras. I'd check there if your the instant gratification type like myself. :wink: The sell a variety of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back