Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 31, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #11,026 of 37,707

Updated with the Fostex leather case and new ADL dock connector. An early review mentioned that the HP-P1 reminded him of older Sony portables. With the addition of the nice leather case, I am reminded of my
trusty Walkman Pro cassette (WMD-6?) that travelled the world with me. It never sounded this good and those tapes took up lots of space. Sometimes progress is progress. 
Steve

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #11,027 of 37,707
This evenings listening:

iPad 4 using FLAC Player -> CEntrance HiFiMate (via lightening to USB connector into USB input of M8) -> DreamEarz AUD-8x

Current listening - Amber Rubarth - Sessions From The 17th Ward (24/96 FLAC) - Washed down with a drop of Jack Daniels Tennesse Honey :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #11,028 of 37,707
This evenings listening:

iPad 4 using FLAC Player -> CEntrance HiFiMate (via lightening to USB connector into USB input of M8) -> DreamEarz AUD-8x

Current listening - Amber Rubarth - Sessions From The 17th Ward (24/96 FLAC) - Washed down with a drop of Jack Daniels Tennesse Honey :)

Besides the Jack Honey, that rig is rockin'!

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #11,031 of 37,707
IMO

Top RS 71 B below AK 240 below Pico Power Bottom Due

That headphone cable sure looks fluffy
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #11,032 of 37,707
Transportable rather than portable......just taken delivery of my HD-600

Are the HD600 living up to your expectations? I've always wanted to try them however have two issues, 1. finding enough power to drive them correctly. And 2. a misfortunate experience I discovered with open cans in my current living environment. For these reasons, I cannot bring myself to spend the muneyz.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #11,033 of 37,707

Are the HD600 living up to your expectations? I've always wanted to try them however have two issues, 1. finding enough power to drive them correctly. And 2. a misfortunate experience I discovered with open cans in my current living environment. For these reasons, I cannot bring myself to spend the muneyz.

Well I owned the HD650 in the past so sort of new what to expect with the HD600.....But yes they are definately living up to expectations so far. They are brand new and Ive only have them connected for an hour so Im sure that they will improve even more over the next few days / weeks.

I loved the HD-650 but found that the bass made them sound a little too warm and lush on some occasions. So far I would say the HD-600 are a more neutral headphone nd I would definately say that their major selling point is the midrange (especially for accoustice based music and female vocals).

The reason I bought these was because they are open back and they are used in my office and late at night at home when I'm on my own, so noise leakage isnt a probem. I wanted something other than my custom IEM's which basically cut me off from the world completely.

All I need to do now is sort out a shorter balanced cable with a 4pin XLR connector for the M8 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #11,034 of 37,707
  Well I owned the HD650 in the past so sort of new what to expect with the HD600.....But yes they are definately living up to expectations so far. They are brand new and Ive only have them connected for an hour so Im sure that they will improve even more over the next few days / weeks.

I loved the HD-650 but found that the bass made them sound a little too warm and lush on some occasions. So far I would say the HD-600 are a more neutral headphone nd I would definitely say that their major selling point is the midrange (especially for accoustice based music and female vocals).

The reason I bought these was because they are open back and they are used in my office and late at night at home when I'm on my own, so noise leakage isnt a probem. I wanted something other than my custom IEM's which basically cut me off from the world completely.

All I need to do now is sort out a shorter balanced cable with a 4pin XLR connector for the M8 
smily_headphones1.gif

My problem isn't so much leakage but isolation levels. I've explained once before I think in this thread. My experience with Grado SR80i the traffic where I live is too distracting for someone (like us) who wants to concentrate or analyze music instead of casual listening, it kind of limits by choices and defeats the entire purpose for me.

Especially if we're talking about dropping $350 AUD on a pair of headphones to hear cars driving through them. 
mad.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #11,035 of 37,707

My problem isn't so much leakage but isolation levels. I've explained once before I think in this thread. My experience with Grado SR80i the traffic where I live is too distracting for someone (like us) who wants to concentrate or analyze music instead of casual listening, it kind of limits by choices and defeats the entire purpose for me.

Especially if we're talking about dropping $350 AUD on a pair of headphones to hear cars driving through them. 
mad.gif

I do believe I read your comment about that somewhere on here. I cant really comment on the HD600 isolation at the moment as I'm not near a busy road 
beyersmile.png

What I can say though, as I am sure you are aware, having owned Grado's I found them to sit on top of your ears (which doesnt help with isolation), the HD600 sit over my ears so I feel the isolation is better. For instace I cant hear myself typing this message or hear people knocking on my office door, however I can hear my phones ringing.

I agree though that it is a lot of money to drop on something that isnt fit for purpose.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #11,037 of 37,707
Tonite I have chance to try my AK 240 SE line out pair with my RSA Intruder

Source : AK 240 use SE Line Out > Intruder line In
Dac/ Amp : RSA The Intruder
Headphone : LCD XC use Norse cable Reign Series 8 braid x 26 awg balance RSA / Kobikon plug
Cable : mini to mini diy
Music : WAV , AIFF , FLAC 24 bit and DSD

My impression :
High : very good clarity with extended crisp high , better detail than RS 71 B and Pico Power and slightly better than Duet
Mid : very clear and clean mid , a bit thiner than Duet but better clarity , Duet has more analog mid
Bass : very detail and clean Bass , not as deep impact as Duet , bass speed about the same with Duet , Duet has fuller bass
Separation : on par with Duet , I think is slightly better than Duet
Soundstage : is wider than. Duet , Duet has better Depth
Background : black Background
Hiss : Zero. Hiss lie Duet

Overall :
I have tested Duet , The Intruder , Pico Power and RS 71 B pair with AK 240
My favorite as follow : Duet > Intruder > Pico Power > RS 71 B
The Intruder sound character to mid high with better clarity than. Duet and Pico Power and RS 71 B
Duet has sound character to mid low with better mid and Bass impact

I like these two amps Duet and Intruder pair with AK 240 , for certain music genre these Amps has plus and minus point

Duet is overall better than Intruder if you hear jaxa vocal , country and blues

Intruder is better than Duet if you hear instrumental , minus the bass impact to thin and mid sound to mid high

For all rounder Duet is the best from these four pair with AK 240

Nobody is perfect , but I love these two amps

IMO

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #11,038 of 37,707
I do believe I read your comment about that somewhere on here. I cant really comment on the HD600 isolation at the moment as I'm not near a busy road :beyersmile:

What I can say though, as I am sure you are aware, having owned Grado's I found them to sit on top of your ears (which doesnt help with isolation), the HD600 sit over my ears so I feel the isolation is better. For instace I cant hear myself typing this message or hear people knocking on my office door, however I can hear my phones ringing.

I agree though that it is a lot of money to drop on something that isnt fit for purpose.

You bring up a good point about the on the ear / over the ear differences. If I ever see HD600 for about $200 on the FS section, (which does happen) I might do it just for the experience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back