Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Feb 10, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #10,009 of 37,704

iPod Classic 7th gen -> RSA SR71A -> HD600

I don't understand portable rigs with an open-backed headphones. It just doesn't make any sense. When I hear portable rig i think commuters and students that need the noise reduction/isolation, those who don't want their music to be shared, and lastly just something more compact and easier to store and take less space in a container or bag.

I  mean, good luck with taking a pair of HD600's everywhere you go without annoying people around you with your music and damaging your hearing with unnecessarily loud volumes. I see some great portable rig pictures on this thread, but every now and then I see some one with open back headphones. Seriously, go post that kinda' rig somewhere else.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #10,010 of 37,704
iPod Classic 7th gen -> RSA SR71A -> HD600

I don't understand portable rigs with an open-backed headphones. It just doesn't make any sense. When I hear portable rig i think commuters and students that need the noise reduction/isolation, those who don't want their music to be shared, and lastly just something more compact and easier to store and take less space in a container or bag.

I  mean, good luck with taking a pair of HD600's everywhere you go without annoying people around you with your music and damaging your hearing with unnecessarily loud volumes. I see some great portable rig pictures on this thread, but every now and then I see some one with open back headphones. Seriously, go post that kinda' rig somewhere else.

That's what I'm wondering.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #10,011 of 37,704
Well the reason behind portable rigs is having the freedom to carry your music with you, not only in different rooms of your own house but also in other quite locations like hotel rooms. You would look like a complete lunatic if you commuted with such gear. I wouldn't want to be tied down to one room of my house with a giant amp and dac.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #10,012 of 37,704

A wee bit harsh now aren't we? After all, it's called "Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)", not "Pictures of Your Portable Commuting Rig (part I)". As farhangleo stated above, the applications for a portable rig can be much more than just when on the go.

edit: Btw guys, IT'S OVER 10000!!!!

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #10,014 of 37,704
Also,who on earth would listen to hi res audio on a commute. I mean have you ever used the bus or train? If you have then you know no matter how high end or isolating your gear is, It will still sound like rubbish. So keep your condescending thoughts to your self. 

Well HD music is typically a different master from the CD counterpart, so there's a reason why I have that stuff on my portable setup. I'm too lazy to down-convert, and it's not space efficient in my current setup.

And yes I can hear the differences between the CD master and the HD master of some albums on my portable rig, in the noisy public bus I ride every weekday.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #10,015 of 37,704
Well HD music is typically a different master from the CD counterpart, so there's a reason why I have that stuff on my portable setup. I'm too lazy to down-convert, and it's not space efficient in my current setup.

And yes I can hear the differences between the CD master and the HD master of some albums on my portable rig, in the noisy public bus I ride every weekday.

I'm not saying that you can't hear the difference. I just think that it makes more sense to use a portable rig with open headphones in a quiet environment over using an expensive portable rig in a noisy environment.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #10,016 of 37,704

You do realize that most good portable headphone amps are designed to drive orthodynamic and high impedance dynamic driver headphones. How many high impedance, closed back headphones or planar magnetic headphones do you know of? A couple from Fostex maybe? If portable rigs weren't intended to be used with high impedance open back headphones, then portable amps with gains of over 12 wouldn't exist. Surely you don't need powerful portable amps for your 16-32 ohm headphones. An amp with a gain of 3 would probably blow your head off with such cans.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #10,017 of 37,704
Well the reason behind portable rigs is having the freedom to carry your music with you, not only in different rooms of your own house but also in other quite locations like hotel rooms. You would look like a complete lunatic if you commuted with such gear. I wouldn't want to be tied down to one room of my house with a giant amp and dac.

Ever been to Japan?  Your rig would look quite normal on the streets of Tokyo...

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #10,018 of 37,704
Being on the road 3-4 nights per week for work, I can tell you that I run my HP-P1/IPC/HD650's all the time in my hotel room. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #10,019 of 37,704

Telling people to post elsewhere just because they have a different preference isn't exactly mature. Have you ever thought that some people use their portable rigs in a different manner than you? Some use them around the house when they don't want to be tied to their desktop rig. Some use them in quiet areas at work or school like an office or study room. Some use them in hotel rooms after traveling on the job. Some take these rigs to headphone meetups so they can enjoy their full-size cans on the go.

Please, before you chastise your fellow headphone enthusiasts, remember that everyone has a different philosophy. None of these philosophies are "incorrect" and all are welcome here.

With that said, here is a rig of mine from long ago. Notice the removable single-entry cable.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #10,020 of 37,704
Neat rig you have there. I had a similar setup back in the day, except that I had a diy cmoy amp and a pair of Grado sr80s. Well I actually blew out one of the drivers as a result of a diy mishap. I've moved on since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back