Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 4, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #14,836 of 37,783
What are you using to drive the Alpha Dogs then?

I'll be using an iFi Micro iDSD for both home and portable rig. I was thinking of an A2P TUR-06 as my future amp but the wait and tax issues with my country are off-putting. I'm currently looking at the two Burson Soloists, the Woo WA7, and the Violectric V2xx line with products of the former two brands locally available.

Hi,
I heard the alpha dogs sound good with these Duet. I never had the alphadogs tho. But friends asked me to try many times. They say the dog's signature suit well with these Duet. Not sure thou.

Maybe I'll get to pit the CLAS -dB/Duet against my Micro iDSD.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #14,838 of 37,783
I have been considering the micro idsd.
Want sure whether to take the leap out not

It's been compared favorably to the Hugo by some but it seems there are two camps… one that hears the Hugo to be warmer and the iDSD neutral-warm and another that hears the Hugo to be leaning closer to neutra-lean and analytical and the iDSD to be warmer and musical. All comparisons though claim that the Hugo still lead slightly in technicalities such as soundstage overall (envelopment). The iDSD is the choice though if you're in need power to drive the planar magnetics. However and like the Hugo, the iDSD does not offer balanced output which might turn some away.

Overall and in my own experiences, I find the iDSD DAC section to be superb and its internal amp to have great synergy and versatility albeit lacking in refinement and technicalities compared to TOTL portable amps. At the price of $500 compared to the Hugo $2000+ you can buy portable amps and even desktop amps to push the performance past the Hugo. The Hugo is probably still better especially as a single-box setup. In the end it still goes back to what you need and what you're willing to spend/carry around.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #14,840 of 37,783
@Bryan:  LOL!! and WHAT NOT! you're always da man bro! Cleverly set! 
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #14,844 of 37,783

So... here's Rzepa mobile gear. This is something that can be described as "not as good as some others you guys have" :D Obvious Phonak pfe 012 is obvious but who'll guess what the dap is? :)

I'll soon replace source for something better, stay tuned!

ps: sorry for terrible pic my camera struggle without sunlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back