Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
May 25, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #27,661 of 37,782
GXMMBAZ.jpg
Chick magnet.

May 25, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #27,662 of 37,782
May 25, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #27,665 of 37,782
wow 2 tones TOTL DAPs! What are the differences of SQ actualy :smile_phones:?
If you are referring to the R2RK black and red, there is not much to SQ differences in my opinion. The black is based on pcm1704k and the red on pcm1702. pcm1702 appears to be less rare and musical than pcm1704k on the paper but in practice the differences are very slight, There is also perhaps a difference in bits between the two chips but again both produces a very natural and organic sound. the red is half the price of the black. I bought the red as back up when i am on the go or do a bit of sport. I use more the black as a sedentary dac at home or office.

May 25, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #27,666 of 37,782
If you are referring to the R2RK black and red, there is not much to SQ differences in my opinion. The black is based on pcm1704k and the red on pcm1702. pcm1702 appears to be less rare and musical than pcm1704k on the paper but in practice the differences are very slight, There is also perhaps a difference in bits between the two chips but again both produces a very natural and organic sound. the red is half the price of the black. I bought the red as back up when i am on the go or do a bit of sport. I use more the black as a sedentary dac at home or office.
how about Hifiman vs Sony?

May 25, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #27,667 of 37,782
how about Hifiman vs Sony?
Sony 1z is great for relaxing sessions, very smooth and detailed sound, will pair relatively well with most iems I have. I would understand why some consider IER-Z1R pairs better with 1a but in the end it's just a matter of sound signature and personal preference imho.
Personally I prefer 1z over 1a. Hifiman R2R2K has a more dry, organic and natural sound. It's really difficult to explain but Sony and any other daps I have tried feel like there is a digital veil to them when compared to R2RK. Does it mean that R2RK feels more detailed or has a more black background : no. To me R2R2K reminds me the way music sounded more alive when I was younger in the eighties and nineties in the good sense of it. It's highly subjective, what I recommend if you are interested in R2RK is to try it multiple times and to give enough time for your ears to get used to it. At first I really did not like it, because I was used to other daps based on Delta-Sigma chips but after few listening sessions it became my favorite sounding dap. I would often use the R2R2K as an external bluetooth dac paired with Sony 1z or 1a for their UI is much more convenient. I obtain the best result is when I pair the R2RK with Woo Audio 8 Eclipse because the tubes mitigate nicely the dry aspect of the R2RK without loosing the organic, natural sound of it.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #27,669 of 37,782
Beautiful. I just have to ask -- which combo gets most playtime? Which is your favourite?
No1 would be IER-Z1R plugged on R2R2K fed in Bluetooth either by 1z or 1a
If standalone 1z would be the device I use most with IER-Z1R also.
This is mostly because I have IER-Z1R for 1 or 2 months and was really impressed with it.
As I just got the U18t, I plan to spend more time with it during the coming months.

May 25, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #27,674 of 37,782
2 ends of the Chi-Fi price spectrum that work surprisingly well together. (tethered by an Ultimate Ears silver SL cable) the amp section is a bit overkill (ok a ton of overkill), but a pleasing end result on low gain, sweet filter enabled and a volume setting between 48 and 56 depending on the track

20190525_201649920_iOS.jpg

LPG Diana Edition / KZ ZS10 Pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back