Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Aug 12, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #20,853 of 37,570
All I need/want since 2013. Convenient, truly portable, long battery life and the sound is wonderful and natural.

I never know what amazes me the most, the prize of the Tera or the level a PortaPro can scale to

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #20,854 of 37,570
Actually the most amazing thing is how long have it been around
etysmile.gif

I have about 4 pairs, the plug portion and wire always give me problems after like 1 year of use~

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #20,856 of 37,570
I never know what amazes me the most, the prize of the Tera or the level a PortaPro can scale to
I used to buy it for less than $20. Great to use for long jogging sessions.

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #20,859 of 37,570

As an owner of tera for 6 months my self (long time ago}...TO BE HONEST with you, NOTHING SPECIAL for this player except for its size! I bought mine for USD950 ONLY (new one), and the increased price, IMO is the craziest story in audio journey! Sorry, i know everyone got each own preference, but still thou, in my personal opinion, the current price of tera is a JOKE!! (except if they made changes component to gold/diamond or something)

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #20,863 of 37,570

Strange as it's hardly discussed or reviewed. More people seem to prefer other offerings, like AK's Fiio etc.

I remember recently seeing an entire CLAS stack on sale for $800 - so there obviously still is a market for them.

With every (mentionable) piece of gear to enter the market, there is an initial phase of 'hype' and 'discussion'. This holds especially true for products which have no precedent, as was the case with the first CLAS - the ability to bypass the iPod's DAP in a portable form-factor was completely new. 
But after 5 years on the market, about everything has been said about virtually every possible pairing which can be made with the CLAS. So people moved on.

There are fairly few products which can truly stand the test of time and are still discussed vividly years after release. Those are, in my eyes, truly worthwhile and legendary releases. HD600 and ER4 are good examples and even with those products, it is usually a small but loyal fanbase which keeps these discussions alive.

I don't own a CLAS personally, but from what I have heard both here and real life, is that 
a) it is versatile (as it is meant to be paired with many amps)
b) fairly slim (even when stacked)
c) still sounds good

Those are features the Fostex HP-P1, for example, didn't bring to the table, although it was also in itself a revolutionary product (first DAP+AMP in one case - imo more trailblazing than the CLAS). But especially when it comes to versatility, it was more of a proof of concept, as it lacks the power to drive about anything significantly better than today's DAPs. This is why it saw such a price drop, is rarely seen in use today and is considered outdated.

Speaking of outdated...

One of the components in this stack still works. Try to guess which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back