Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 10, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #20,551 of 37,715
Ripping your OWN cd's is so much more fulfilling. It really makes you feel like your library is yours when your looking through your player

I thoroughly enjoy ripping albums on a separate disc drive (so I don't burn up the laptop one) it's quite the process but it's so worth it in the end!

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #20,552 of 37,715
$10, roughly the price of one CD which you then add to the piles that clutter up your home. Or, access to a vast library of music from any genre you choose at any time at your fingertips.

Out of all the format CD's have the shortest life span, i like to buy individual Flac files as are fairly priced or i steal from a friend. Streaming will add up and it will never be your 3yr=$360 that could be 60GB of music that is your to own. Google, Spotify and Tidal all offer special deal on streaming.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #20,553 of 37,715
Pics, bros, pics! Lets get those pics rolling!

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #20,555 of 37,715
Ripping your OWN cd's is so much more fulfilling. It really makes you feel like your library is yours when your looking through your player

I thoroughly enjoy ripping albums on a separate disc drive (so I don't burn up the laptop one) it's quite the process but it's so worth it in the end!

So true. I just received through the mail a used copy of Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. First thing I did was use EAC to rip a perfect copy. Attached the album cover. Loaded it onto my AK120ii. Feels a lot more personal that way.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #20,556 of 37,715
$10, roughly the price of one CD which you then add to the piles that clutter up your home. Or, access to a vast library of music from any genre you choose at any time at your fingertips.

+1 And with subscription music services you have no control over the mastering quality its get what your given.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #20,557 of 37,715
It's a good thing that we all have different ways of enjoying music and that so many options are available. It all depends what your concerns and priorities are. For me streaming allows me to be a listener rather than a collector. Which suits me fine. Each to their own.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #20,559 of 37,715
Well said, my only concern is does the artist get paid well enough to keep the model alive? I certainly hope so. Alos online allows so many more artist get exposure so all types are a win. 

Excellent point. This is way off topic. Maybe we should take any further discussion to a Streaming thread. Or PM. :)

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #20,561 of 37,715
Hmmm. I respect your point of view. I'm certainly not laughing at the old stuff.
I also accept your point about obsolescence.
Although I suspect that an unbelievable number of Walkman and tapes ended up in landfill.
At the end of the day what matters is the music.
The emotion of which can be felt from the cheapest equipment. Ever tapped your foot to a transistor radio?
Digital is the inescapable present and likely the future.
There are downsides of course but having a huge selection of the worlds music in my pocket just about blows my mind!
I have heard some fabulous high end turntable systems and through all the surface noise I could detect the wonderful emotional experience that you speak of.
wink.gif

Sorry, I am being facetious.
Personally I think everything is hurtling forwards and I advocate going with it. We will either end up in a handcart in hell or at a new kind of human experience.
I totally understand and respect anyone who sees all the downsides and advises extreme caution.
There is usually a middle way.

I appreciate that. I don't want to go back, and we can't go back. I don't think walkmen could do more than a smartphone.

I'm trying to crack through the ignorance that claims "modern 320k mp3 is all we need".   "Good enough".  "Close enough".  "No one can tell".

If that 30 year old $50 tech is pushing out more musical enjoyment than a modern 320k mp3 (it is) and if it's getting closer to what the musicians heard in the studio (it is) then I hope you modern people realize that's not progress.

Your new digital TV will not come with less pixels than your previous one. Your new digital camera won't come with a less sensitive sensor than your previous one. Your new smartphone won't come with a worse screen or less ram than your old one.

But when it comes to consumer music -- this sad belief that you deserve less than the original because ________ (fill in the blank)  has been like a poisonous rot for 15+ years now.  I know we all don't have it but even here on a place called head-fi, some believe that. It's like they need to believe it.  They need to diminish their own hearing abilities to enjoy crappy tech.

So I make these big arguments using a walkman to shock 2016 thinkers into considering what's important in their music listening.  Technology is amazing, especially when it focuses on improving quality.

No need to go backwards and reduce everything anymore when you can own master-quality digital audio files and render them properly with the proper device.

aka 
this cheap playback device from the 80's

vs.
this cheap speaker set from today

I'm thinking that top one will smoke the bottom one at getting the party started.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #20,565 of 37,715

Fulfilling is kind of an individual thing. I don't find that fulfilling, but you might. I do find playing vinyl fulfilling from time to time. Having a streaming subscriptions saves me enough money that I can buy my favorite albums on vinyl, and go decidedly lo-fi from time to time. Not because it sounds better (it most certainly does not) but because I enjoy it. 

Out of all the format CD's have the shortest life span, i like to buy individual Flac files as are fairly priced or i steal from a friend. Streaming will add up and it will never be your 3yr=$360 that could be 60GB of music that is your to own. Google, Spotify and Tidal all offer special deal on streaming.

I save so much money paying $8/month for Google Play Music All Access compared to what I used to spend, they could shut down tomorrow and I will have saved money.

+1 And with subscription music services you have no control over the mastering quality its get what your given.

This is not true, at least no more so than with physical media. Plenty of music available at HDtracks and their ilk are just the same master packaged differently. In instances where there are multiple masters, I know that Google Play Music often has all of them as options. If there's a remaster that you like, you just choose that copy of it. You should do some research before you make categorically incorrect statements. 

Well said, my only concern is does the artist get paid well enough to keep the model alive? I certainly hope so. Alos online allows so many more artist get exposure so all types are a win. 

Depends on the service. But the artist doesn't get paid a ton with streaming. Nor does the artist get paid a ton from record sales. Just like always, the record company gets most of it. This is how the industry has long worked. The artist gets paid up front when they sign their contract, the record company pays to get their album out the door and markets it. Album company then gets most of the album sale proceeds, and bankrolls tours, for which the artist gets paid. 

Google Play Music All Access pays out the most per stream of the streaming services, followed closely by Tidal. Spotify is near the bottom per stream but has a larger user base, so probably pays more to most artists in terms of actual dollars. But as it has always been, if you want to support the artist, you have to go to their concerts. 

It's a good thing that we all have different ways of enjoying music and that so many options are available. It all depends what your concerns and priorities are. For me streaming allows me to be a listener rather than a collector. Which suits me fine. Each to their own.

This. Everyone has their own set of preferences. 

I appreciate that. I don't want to go back, and we can't go back. I don't think walkmen could do more than a smartphone.

I'm trying to crack through the ignorance that claims "modern 320k mp3 is all we need".   "Good enough".  "Close enough".  "No one can tell".

If that 30 year old $50 tech is pushing out more musical enjoyment than a modern 320k mp3 (it is) and if it's getting closer to what the musicians heard in the studio (it is) then I hope you modern people realize that's not progress.

Your new digital TV will not come with less pixels than your previous one. Your new digital camera won't come with a less sensitive sensor than your previous one. Your new smartphone won't come with a worse screen or less ram than your old one.

But when it comes to consumer music -- this sad belief that you deserve less than the original because ________ (fill in the blank)  has been like a poisonous rot for 15+ years now.  I know we all don't have it but even here on a place called head-fi, some believe that. It's like they need to believe it.  They need to diminish their own hearing abilities to enjoy crappy tech.

Since enjoyment is subjective, you can't say what will push out more enjoyment (nor can I). If you like that 30 year old tech, go ahead and use it, that's fine. Don't try to push it on others.

And certainly, MP3 is the least good lossy format, though I suspect you haven't tried a properly encoded LAME 320k MP3 against (whatever you want) because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Sorry, I can just promise you that. Most people that make the argument that you're making haven't ever listened to anything other than pre-LAME 128k MP3. And if you want truly good lossy encodes, check out AAC, Apple's encoder is crazy good, or OPUS. They're crazy good and can save you a ton of space. 

You need to focus your energies on mastering, that's what's been bad the last few years, not formats.

There has been a steady push to improve the formats. Just like with those TV's that you're such a fan of. You should look in to what the priority was when H.265 was developed to replace H.264. Video has been moving in the direction of lower bit-rates for some time, and finding ways to improve compression, because streaming is where video is headed. You don't have to worry as much about compressing audio, because it consumes so much less bandwidth than video, but you still need to find better ways to compress it.

And so we have had major progress just in that. MP3 was great in that it paved a path that others have followed, then improved upon. Which is why we have AAC and Opus, and Ogg Vorbis, and all of these better containers and encoders. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back