Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 11, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #20,566 of 37,713
Could we please get back to the topic?

Pictures of your portable rig.

beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #20,567 of 37,713

Since enjoyment is subjective, you can't say what will push out more enjoyment (nor can I). If you like that 30 year old tech, go ahead and use it, that's fine. Don't try to push it on others.

And certainly, MP3 is the least good lossy format, though I suspect you haven't tried a properly encoded LAME 320k MP3 against (whatever you want) because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Sorry, I can just promise you that. Most people that make the argument that you're making haven't ever listened to anything other than pre-LAME 128k MP3. And if you want truly good lossy encodes, check out AAC, Apple's encoder is crazy good, or OPUS. They're crazy good and can save you a ton of space. 

You need to focus your energies on mastering, that's what's been bad the last few years, not formats.

There has been a steady push to improve the formats. Just like with those TV's that you're such a fan of. You should look in to what the priority was when H.265 was developed to replace H.264. Video has been moving in the direction of lower bit-rates for some time, and finding ways to improve compression, because streaming is where video is headed. You don't have to worry as much about compressing audio, because it consumes so much less bandwidth than video, but you still need to find better ways to compress it.

And so we have had major progress just in that. MP3 was great in that it paved a path that others have followed, then improved upon. Which is why we have AAC and Opus, and Ogg Vorbis, and all of these better containers and encoders. 

1 - of course i've heard better than 1999 mp3's.  don't insult me. i have every bitrate, nearly every format, and have for decades now.

2 - it's about how many people you can fool with perceptual coding. aka lossy is for idiots. people who don't know or understand or care. i do. i learned about dither and up/downsampling in the 80's, and perceptual coding in the early 90's.  i've been around.   i don't care if they fool more fools, i care about preserving our most valuable art, both the past and the future.

3 - focus my energies on mastering?  totally separate argument, for mastering professionals, not headphone fans.  i happen to know 2 mastering engineers and i hang with them occasionally. guess what they blame?  mp3 for lowing everyone's standards.  the loudness wars are primarily a digital problem, first a skipless media with wider usable dynamic range (CD) then a bandwidth restriction full of digital artifacts and blurring as the new norm.

4 - you can improve the compression formats all you want.  that's for voice, for commerce, for convenience.  in a discussion about art and music i no longer have any room for distribution degradations.

5 - you want a real argument? leave your lossy world and join me in debating how much various dither algorithms and downsampling destroys the original signal.

as far as on topic -- i've already been banned from sound science by the lossy mafia, so i use a discussion board to discuss something very important to the core subject here -sound and listening and music.

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #20,571 of 37,713
reginalb you went on a freakin rampage ... Damn

You win lol

haha, definitely not trying to prove what you said wrong. I agree that you should do what you find most fulfilling. It's different than what I find fulfilling, but there's nothing wrong with that. I do take issue with some others' making statements that I think (or know) are just factually incorrect, and misleading others. And mainly get annoyed because I came to Head-Fi and got some bad info when I first got in to this hobby. Led me down a path where I spent money needlessly. But again, your process isn't all that much different, I don't think, than mine with vinyl. We do it because we like it, and that's all there is to it.

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #20,572 of 37,713
Here's a few pics of the current portable rig with some hand stitched leather cases for them in real lizard and vegetable tanned. AK380 -> chord mojo -> KSE1500s

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #20,573 of 37,713
I'm guessing I too maybe having the 1985 release but I'm not sure. Your cd had 'vertigo' etched on the front whereas mine does not and has the Warner bros logo.

The cd insert mentions about a recording technology used back then for reproduction on a cd.
Some of it was bad. Really bad. :veryevil:

Check it out, the first CD I ever owned... Crazy how this thing played from a portable Discman now easily fits on a card the size of my pinky finger nail.

The 1985 release of this disc (worldwide) is the best dynamic range version of the album, even slightly better than the 1985 vinyl release (although I doubt I could tell the difference without the normal playback noise of vinyl). The later releases, including SACD, are all worse, especially the 2005 DVDA release. Back then the sound mastering engineers hit the nail on the head!

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/103605

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #20,576 of 37,713
Could we please get back to the topic?

Pictures of your portable rig.

:beerchug:
[rule]

You are right. This isn't the place for this interesting conversation. I started a thread for it in Sound Science. Before realising that FBookman is banned from there!

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #20,577 of 37,713
I did :) my newest addiction, far cheaper endeavor than being a audio gear junky.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #20,578 of 37,713
Here's a few pics of the current portable rig with some hand stitched leather cases for them in real lizard and vegetable tanned. AK380 -> chord mojo -> KSE1500s

where di you bought your mojo case sir. thanks

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #20,579 of 37,713

Sorry I wasn't clear. I made these myself. Ieather crafting is a hobby of mine

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #20,580 of 37,713

FiiO X7 with am3 module
VE Runabout 2.0
VE Zen 2.0 black Cardas edition
VE Cardas IC made by KK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back