Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Aug 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #6,301 of 7,509
How was the comparative quality of the L6? Does anyone know why Fiio discontinued it, besides the fact that there aren't as many people using LODs on Sandisk players as I-Devices. I need a LOD for my incoming Fuze and of course there aren't many readily available options with good quality.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6,302 of 7,509
Quote:
lol obviously, how do you like the W4's vs the SM3? Also, is that a black GSIII? :O

It's very hard to explain. The sound of the W4's is amazing when you take time to sit and listen and it is probably one of the best IEM's overall. However, it does not have a WOW factor like W3's or any other V shaped sound signature or sparkling highs like Etymotics. I find myself listening to the SM3 or my HF5 way more often. I feel for the price the W4's are not worth it, I would suggest the SM3 V2's or W3's. It depends on the song signature you prefer and is subjective just like everything here. If I could go back I probably wouldn't buy them, but I got caught in the hype  of them at the time. I knew full well that I probably wouldn't like them as much as SM3's when I dove into getting them, but the good news is I got them on the earphonesolutions Christmas sale. 

That is not a black (I wish!) GSIII it is pebble blue, with a case similar to the casemate barley there for the GSIII. It's called rock case. So far XDA rated it one of their better cases. I stole these pictures from a friend on XDA forum. The case is strange cause it looks gray/black/purple at different angles. It also has a sandpaper look to it but when you touch it has a unique soft touch. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #6,303 of 7,509
Got the last part of my portable rig today, very happy right now :)

[EDIT: Obviously when I say last part of the rig that isn't true, I would like some tidier cable options, need to investigate that next...]

Bit different than most here with full-sized cans and an Android device:

Galaxy S3 --> USB audio --> Pico USB DAC/amp --> Beyerdynamic T5p.

Only had the briefest of chances to listen before work, but wowed by it so far. Can't wait until lunch and an uninterrupted hour of listening!

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #6,305 of 7,509
Quote:

Only had the briefest of chances to listen before work, but wowed by it so far. Can't wait until lunch and an uninterrupted hour of listening!

Nice!!

I've just spent the better part of the day researching Android usb audio.. very frustrating reading if you can't afford an S3! I think I might buy an E7 and hook it to my HP Touchpad and just wait for someone to make it work :)

I guess the E7 is a good bet for this if you only have $70????

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #6,306 of 7,509
Quote:
Nice!!

I've just spent the better part of the day researching Android usb audio.. very frustrating reading if you can't afford an S3! I think I might buy an E7 and hook it to my HP Touchpad and just wait for someone to make it work :)

I guess the E7 is a good bet for this if you only have $70????

Indeed, I was using an E7 before I got the Pico. Enjoyed it compared to stock via headphone jack (the S3 isn't bad stock either though).

I haven't looked into the TouchPad for ages (gave my sister one and really need to update it to ICS or JB for her), but I would have thought someone would have got this working already on that device...

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #6,307 of 7,509
Would post a picture of the rest of the rig.....but as one would expect, I don't wanna take my CIEM's out right now. Maybe some other time though...

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6,308 of 7,509
Quote:

Indeed, I was using an E7 before I got the Pico. Enjoyed it compared to stock via headphone jack (the S3 isn't bad stock either though).

I haven't looked into the TouchPad for ages (gave my sister one and really need to update it to ICS or JB for her), but I would have thought someone would have got this working already on that device...

Not that I can find, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for the feedback on the E7.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #6,309 of 7,509
Quote:

Can you provide the link for your USB cable for the S3? I ordered one from Amazon but part of it is still sticking out of the micro USB of the S3. So I need something better. Yours looks quite good.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6,310 of 7,509
Quote:

[EDIT: Obviously when I say last part of the rig that isn't true, I would like some tidier cable options, need to investigate that next...]

Congrats on the T5P's!

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #6,311 of 7,509
Quote:
Would post a picture of the rest of the rig.....but as one would expect, I don't wanna take my CIEM's out right now. Maybe some other time though...

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I took a look at the website, and it looks pretty wild - just a stripped-down nothing but sound matters dap...it only plays wav files if I remember correctly. Can't wait.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #6,312 of 7,509
Quote:

Kick ass cans.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #6,313 of 7,509
Quote:

Gorgeous looking rig. Let me see if i got it right though. You're sending a digital signal out through your USB and letting the Pico DAC and amp to all the work, right? you've completely bypassed the DAC and amp in the S3 correct?

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #6,314 of 7,509
Gorgeous looking rig. Let me see if i got it right though. You're sending a digital signal out through your USB and letting the Pico DAC and amp to all the work, right? you've completely bypassed the DAC and amp in the S3 correct?

Correct.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #6,315 of 7,509
Quote:

Very nice I'm impressed. Were you able to do this straight out of the box or was rooting needed to enable this feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back