Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #4,336 of 7,509
Three things to keep me sane this summer while my desktop gear takes the slow boat to Asia.

How does that combo sound? Do you happen to use a Mac? I am tempted to try the DX100. Looks great.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #4,337 of 7,509
How does that combo sound? Do you happen to use a Mac? I am tempted to try the DX100. Looks great.

It sounds glorious.

To be fair I have only had a couple of days and haven't had huge amounts of time to devote to critical listening - I got my son a little r/c helicopter on the same day as the DX100 arrived and he has ensured most of my free time has been spent rescuing the survivors of the Papuan ferry that keeps capsizing off the south coast of Cushion Island.

However my first impressions are that the two play very well together (that's 1350 + DX100, not DX100 + CH-113 Labrador). The DX100 seems to bring out the best of the headphones I've tried with it; the T1 sound stage sound voluminous, the LCDs eerily clear - was looking over my shoulder at one point last night.

Currently listening to the 1350s + DX Hilary Hahn J.S. Bach Violin Concertos - excellent separation, authoritative bass, clear crisp treble. The sound stage is limited by the 1350s obviously. When I get a moment I plan to feed the DX out to the PB2 ( and then DB2-PB2) to try out it's various capabilities in these respects and compare to the previous iBasso offerings.

I use a Macbook, but 99% of the time boot to Windows on it. I do know there are other DX100 owners who use Macs without any issue. Check out the relevant thread - it's pretty much exploded with first impressions over the last couple of days. But I'd wait a week or so until people have sussed everything about the player out before putting much weight on the opinions in there. Like me, most haven't enough time to figure out what's-what just yet.

EDIT:

I forgot to say, one thing I like about this combo is that even with the smaller sound stage of a small closed can, the excellent separation and detail of the DX100 (and the detail of the 1350s) means you don't suffer congestion or smearing. Beethoven's 9th sounds fantastic even if the concert hall is the Ottawa NAC instead of the Sydney Opera House.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #4,338 of 7,509

Quote:
diy imod + mundorf LOD + mini^3 + tf10 in woody theme

I love the looks of this rig and I'm sure it sounds very nice. Well done!

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #4,339 of 7,509

Quote:

Indeed, it looks like a lot of thought and care went into assembling it and I also love the amount of effort put into caring for it with that case. 10/10.

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4,341 of 7,509
Holy *&%@!  That is by far the best DIY case I have ever seen, even if it's not the most utilitarian thing in the world...that is a work of art imo. You could start your own little cottage industry making custom cases with your skill.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4,343 of 7,509

If you look at some of his previous posts on this thread you'll see that setup with a pair of (headphones or earbuds, can't remember) that have a cable cover to match the casing. Cogsand Gears takes having a personal music player to a whole new meaning of personal with all his customizations and the work he put in. I think he put a tutorial up somewhere. I wish I could do something as epic....and it be original
Quote:
Indeed, there is a special place for peeps like Cogsand Gears. In ''The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen'' 

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4,345 of 7,509

Quote:

Quote:
Indeed, it looks like a lot of thought and care went into assembling it and I also love the amount of effort put into caring for it with that case. 10/10.

thanks guys!

it took a lot of trial and errors but in the end it was all worth it.

really feels good when people appreciate your work ^_^

Quote:
Nice work! Pretty heavy duty case...

Here is my own 'Woodie' mod:

w0w! looking on how every parts fits together, im speechless!

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #4,346 of 7,509
IIRC, he bought the case. 
ph34r.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #4,347 of 7,509

Quote:
Holy *&%@!  That is by far the best DIY case I have ever seen, even if it's not the most utilitarian thing in the world...that is a work of art imo. You could start your own little cottage industry making custom cases with your skill.

Thanks dude! An friend of a friend opened a steampunk shop in Brighton. He saw the photos and asked how many I could make a month... This took me 7 months to put together!

Quote:
Indeed, there is a special place for peeps like Cogsand Gears. In ''The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen'' 

Thanks Nigel. Hows you opamp experiments coming together? And have you started on the cmoy yet?

Quote:
If you look at some of his previous posts on this thread you'll see that setup with a pair of (headphones or earbuds, can't remember) that have a cable cover to match the casing. Cogsand Gears takes having a personal music player to a whole new meaning of personal with all his customizations and the work he put in. I think he put a tutorial up somewhere. I wish I could do something as epic....and it be original

Yeah it was a pair of old crystal radio cans that I fitted new drivers in and re cabled. TBH they dont sound that great to me anymore. But thats headfi's fault! I do have a post on Instructables. Not a tutorial, but there are some in progress pictures. a

Quote:

w0w! looking on how every parts fits together, im speechless!

Thanks! I like what you have done with your rig man. I think I would rather do another of these cases than try and hand cut and apply all that vinyl! 

Quote:
IIRC, he bought the case. 
ph34r.gif

No man, put it together myself. Labour of love!

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #4,348 of 7,509
Well it would take alot less time to make it after you figure out the design and needed parts, if ppl would buy em well well worth the time. (depends how much they are willing to pay, usually steampunk is pretty exspensive)

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #4,349 of 7,509
Holy crap that Steampunked iPod is the greatest thing I've ever seen on these Portable Rigs posts & I've been following them for years!

Superb, seriously impressive, I like so much I'm going off to my workshop (okay the shed at the bottom of the garden) to see if I can match it using a Walkman - LOL :xf_eek:

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #4,350 of 7,509

Ultra portable rig, heir audio 8a, ipod nano 16gig, pico slim, silver dragon cable, diy twag low profile lod

RWA imod, jh16 pros, twag cable, pico slim, alo audio imod lod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back