Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3,916 of 7,509

Quote:
Hey Jude 
Is that iTunes you're using or a different player? I'm looking for a new player, mainly because I'm a bit bored with iTunes on my mac..perhaps you've got a recommendation for something new and exciting ?
Thats too nice a portable rig, if there is such a thing 
bigsmile_face.gif

It looks like it could be Songbird, which is a very nice player. Lots of available plugins, I use it for access to my iTunes library, FLAC collection and Soundcloud in one unified app. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #3,917 of 7,509

Quote:
Hey Jude 
Is that iTunes you're using or a different player? I'm looking for a new player, mainly because I'm a bit bored with iTunes on my mac..perhaps you've got a recommendation for something new and exciting ?
Thats too nice a portable rig, if there is such a thing 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes, that is iTunes. And I use Amarra with iTunes.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #3,918 of 7,509

Just wondering, but why not use foobar2000? I personally hate iTunes, as it took forever to startup, had no FLAC support and ate up way to much RAM due to my rather large collection of music at the time (50,000+ songs)

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #3,920 of 7,509

Quote:

Quote:
I just had a look at the link, £527.14 over here 
eek.gif
  does that include a Mac ? It must sound amazing !

ph34r.gif
 I knew I shouldn't have asked! (thanks!) Damn curiosity. There is a trial I think, but it looks above and beyond what I'd be able to appreciate at the moment. Bet it sounds stellar though!! 
I've heard that Apple are due to release a new high quality music service, which may just be the ticket for moi.

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3,921 of 7,509
Bingbangboom. Send a PM to Higlight and see what opamp kit he recommends. I had the optional opamp kit from iBasso for my D12 and Ron's kit was a noticeable improvement. I am now using one of his kits for my PB2 and couldn't be happier. He is a gentleman to deal with too.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,922 of 7,509
Finally, after about 3 months, my PX100-II's came home from Sennheiser's repair shop! Waited too long for these. Reunited and it feels so good! Also, I picked up a Clip+ on Black Friday, but never bothered to post here. The Clip+ is good. Still like my 5th gen iPod better, but it's dying :frowning2:

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3,924 of 7,509

Quote:
Finally, after about 3 months, my PX100-II's came home from Sennheiser's repair shop! Waited too long for these. Reunited and it feels so good! Also, I picked up a Clip+ on Black Friday, but never bothered to post here. The Clip+ is good. Still like my 5th gen iPod better, but it's dying :frowning2:

How do you like the PX 100 II's out of the Clip? I have a pair of the 100 IIi's ( with iPhone controls ) and love 'em out of my Atrix.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #3,925 of 7,509

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.
It's a Zune 30gb Halo 3 editition (I'm not even a Halo Fan, it just looks nice).
Yeah, the LOD on it only works for the Zune 30 or the 8gb version as far as the ebay ad for it said.

Oh and thanks for a heads up on the Dual Lock, I'll check around and hopefully they carry it here. But the only thing I wonder is how easy is it to remove the dual lock's (ie. like 3M command strips where you can remove it easily)

Funny that it works in the Zune 8 but not the Zune 80 since both are 2nd Gen Zune devices.
it should work with Zune 4 & Zune 16GB, then. Besides my current Zune 80, I have access to a black Zune 30. Maybe I should buy the dock and test it.... :)

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #3,926 of 7,509

Quote:
Just wondering, but why not use foobar2000? I personally hate iTunes, as it took forever to startup, had no FLAC support and ate up way to much RAM due to my rather large collection of music at the time (50,000+ songs)

I've been fortunate with iTunes, I guess. My iTunes starts up quickly most of the time, so that hasn't been an issue. As for FLAC, I usually end up converting my FLAC files to ALAC or AIFF, for direct iTunes support. Also, Amarra supports FLAC via its PLAYLIST function.

I also like and use the parametric EQ in Amarra. For prototype and beta testing, for example, I occasionally use it to make adjustments, to suggest changes. And sometimes, for general listening--but not often--I just like to be able to use an EQ. Here's a screenshot from Sonic Studio's info about Amarra's EQ function(s):
 ​
(Click on the image below to see it clearer and larger.)​
 ​
Long story short, iTunes and iTunes/Amarra have been working well for me.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #3,927 of 7,509
Amarra doesn't seem to be for everyone as its pretty expensive, but it does look like an ultimate computer based solution.

The PC edition of iTunes is terribly, uselessly laggy, but for Mac I bet there really isn't a point in using another music player unless one needs to access their music via the folder structure, which is where Foobar2000 comes in for me. My tags are too disorganized/inaccurate to be bothered with.

I don't have a high end portable rig right now, but I'm happy with my current rig as it sounds more than good enough and is convenient for me. I didn't think the latest iPod Nano would sound so good with ba iems as neither my Video or Classic sound any good with the Klipsch C3. I didn't buy the Nano, but rather got it in through Apples 1g trade in program; I got more than I asked for 
biggrin.gif

Edit: I occasionally trade out the Nano for the Fuze 8gb and sometimes the Klipsch C3 for the Ety8.

Yes, it works perfectly and fully with the new Nano. Its destroys battery life though :p

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,928 of 7,509

Quote:
How do you like the PX 100 II's out of the Clip? I have a pair of the 100 IIi's ( with iPhone controls ) and love 'em out of my Atrix.

They're great. A bit warmer than on my iPod. Also less clear though.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3,929 of 7,509

Quote:
Now THIS is interesting! Just when I'm thinking to myself how digital out would not be affected by the cable qualities (given a decent quality 30pin to usb to start with), this is a new thing! Anyone want to chime in? Would seperating the power cables make a difference to the signal pureness?

the USB cable spec document specifies a twisted pair for data and a separate twisted pair for power/ground (although the spec doesnt have them individually shielded), I wasnt doing anything radical, just building to spec using crazy materials...... that cable was an OTT request

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #3,930 of 7,509
The final piece of the puzzle for my portable rig; the low profile crystal cable LOD.

And this is my most used portable rig; DIYmod - Continental amp - crystal LOD - Miracle customs with Silver Dragon cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back