Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #3,151 of 7,509

Quote:

While they don't isolate too well, and I find them at bit lacking in bass, they are amazingly comfortable on my ears.

It also doesn't hurt that they are beautifully-made.
biggrin.gif

Agreed on all counts. I do find the sound enjoyable from them - and it allows me to have pretty darn decent sound while wearing a fedora (without using IEMs - which, I really dislike).

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,152 of 7,509
My current preferred portable rig:

S:Flo2, D2+ & ES10

I'd like to upgrade again soon. Depending on what the iBasso DX100 is going to cost I will either replace the S:Flo2 & D2+ with the DX100, or replace the D2+.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,157 of 7,509

Killer transportable rig. 40GB Clip Zip w/Rockbox......+5db on frequencies 100hz and below, 110% stereo width, iBasso T5, Grado SR60i.
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,164 of 7,509
Love it!  It gives a good understanding of how the different amps match in size to the ipod and CLAS.  Damm that Continental is bigger than I thought.  Hope the Rx3 is not a lot bigger than the Rx2.

So million dollar question....which is your favourite and most used amp?  Is it the 71/b?

Quote:
Not sure if this can be posted... it's more "trans"portable.  

It's gotten away from me a little... 
blink.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #3,165 of 7,509
That is the question I am trying to answer by creating a crazy monster stack.  I clipped something from another thread where we were discussing why I strapped all this gear together. 

It all started when I got the CLAS.  I really liked it, but I wasn't sure what amp I wanted to use with it.  I started taking several amps to work each day and playing around with combinations to see what I like... and the stack grew, and grew.

It's really getting hard to fit in my pocket!

The end result here is partly just for fun, especially the E5 and ZO, but actually it turned into a great way for me to keep them together in my messenger bag, charge them all together, and create combinations easily with a few sets of interconnects to listen to.

I have been really interested to see just how much synergy some headphones can have with one portable amp, and just how bad they can sound with another. 

The hard part is that I like them all in different ways... So I'm not sure that I'll ever just pick one.

I have not picked a favorite yet... still working on that, but here are some very general thoughts from top to bottom:

Fiio E5 - I've never been a fan.  I've never see an much improvement over the just using the HPO of a portable player.

Pico DAC/AMP - Before I got the CLAS this was how I was getting digital out of my iPad (a great little combo).  I like the size and build, and it sounds great.  It's not quite as powerful as a few of the others below, but it can hold it's own.  I have always liked this a lot with my IEM's, especially my customs, and I'm not afraid to plug any over ear or most full sized cans into it either.

ZO2 - Strapped over on the side.  I couldn't help myself from trying this thing after seeing so much posted about it here in Head-Fi.  I had no practical need for it, only curiosity.  At first I was horrified at what it did for the sound... but I have to say that over time I found a few fun combinations.  Example, CLAS - Pico - D7000 playing some electronica.  With a little boost from the ZO I found myself enjoying the club sound.  I doubt it will get much use from me, but it's an interesting gadget to play with. 

SR-71B - Because of the connections it's turned backwards.  You've read plenty about it here, as did I... so I had to hear it.  To sum it up, it has more treble energy than I expected, and can bring some powerful lows to the party.  I don't have too say much here, this is a good amp.  I like it balanced, but find it middle of the road when used single ended.

ALO Continental - There was a lot of debate over this amp, but very little of that debate came from listening impressions.  I like the sound that this amp offers.  The more I hear it, the more I like it.  It's the most open and airy of the bunch.  It rivals the SR in power, and here in lays the problem for me with this portable... it's not very good with IEMs.  You can use them, but it doesn't play well with them.  I don't particularly like how my customs sound from it, and you have work down at the very bottom of the volume settings, bordering on channel imbalance.  The new version has a hi/low gain setting, which could make this a very good and more versatile portable, but V1 leaves me happy with it when I'm using something hard to drive (say when I have full sized cans at work), but needing to carry something else when I'm on the move.

ALO Rx Mk II - The only thing I can really say I don't like about this amp is that it uses an electronic gain switch instead of a good old fashioned volume knob.  It works great, but I just like the feel of a knob better.  This amp handles anything you throw at it, IEM or 600 ohm cans, and does it well.  A great all rounder and always sounds good.  Obviously the size match with the CLAS makes it a nice companion.

CLAS - The heart of getting digital from my iPad and iPod, and sort of the creature that sent me building a ridiculous monster stack.

iPod Classic - 160gb of storage.  With the CLAS, the IPod does little more than that.  This one is covered with the YoTank, a protective cover that was milled from solid aluminum billet.  Total overkill, and the perfect match for the super stack.

I've got a HeadRoom Total Airhead that I should try to strap on there some time... but I don't think the HeadRoom micro-stack is going to be an option!! ha ha

At this time the Continental and the SR-71B are getting the most use, depending on what headphone I am using.

Reality is that I'll keep a few of them.  If I want a transportable rig that I set up in a hotel or at an office I'm likely to grab the SR-71B or Continental and bring along some full sized cans.  If I am traveling I'd likely want something more versatile like the MkII so I can listen to IEM's while on the move/plane and still drive whatever I need when I get to where I am going.  

Quote:
Love it!  It gives a good understanding of how the different amps match in size to the ipod and CLAS.  Damm that Continental is bigger than I thought.  Hope the Rx3 is not a lot bigger than the Rx2.

So million dollar question....which is your favourite and most used amp?  Is it the 71/b?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back