Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,136 of 7,509

Quote:
well there are certainly some portable amps that people say can drive them - the RSA sr71B i think is one,  I'm pretty sure NwAvGuy says the O2 can drive them.
You may not get a straight answer though depending on who you ask. 
opinions may not match with what specs and measurements say though -  I'm not really sure though

I dont know how portable a pair of large open cans is in the first place though, regardless of what it takes to drive them...

If the HE-6 were as efficient as HiFiMan claims on their website the O2 would probably do a good job with it.  Using HiFiMan's numbers the O2 should cleanly get the HE-6 to about 112dB on AC and lose another 3db on battery power alone.  According the numbers from the one Tyll measured which is less efficient for some reason you'd lose another 6 to 7 dB of peak volume.

That could work for some people if you always listen quietly and/or usually listen to modern stuff with lots of dynamic range compression.  Those wanting to listen to classical from audiophile approved labels at live levels will want more power.  People who like to use lots of EQ like me and Br777 wouldn't have the headroom for that either.  It could work but you'd probably have to try it yourself since listening levels and even the sensitivity of of the HE-6s may vary.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3,137 of 7,509
Any crappy amp can drive the HE6.  Heck I even tried an ibasso D12 and it was able to get some reasonable sound out of them.  The issue comes about in describing the quality of sound that they can produce.  I very much doubt that even the 71/b can do them justice, and I love that amp.  People seem to think that if it can produce volume to a set level then it can drive the HE6. That is not the case.  Without at least 4 watts at 50ohms the bass will be lacking in punch and the soundstage will be restricted.  If people have heard the HE6 and feel that it lacks bass or is too bright....then look at the amp.

I am hanging out for the Schiit statement amp just so I can give the HE6 some extra quality power.....

If you want portable then I would suggest the HE500 or LCD2.

Check out the HE6 thread for similar comments.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #3,138 of 7,509
I use the AU 717 85w/ch into 8ohm, as my desktop amp for the HE-6. Have no illusions, the o2 does not and  could never come near that combination.
My point was that for a $130 "portable" amp to even come near that level and surpass the M-stage (with A class bias mod)  or the La Figaro 339, is worth notice. I have not heard the 71-B but I understand it gets the HE-6 signing, and not just based on volume, so I would like to hear someone compare the o2 and the 71-B.
I also agree that the HE-6, the LCD-2 or even the Magnum are not ideal portable cans. For true portability you need something sealed, and compact. Unfortunately, IMO there is nothing out there that comes close to the sound of the three above in a sealed headphone. Now if someone could produce a sealed cup that would do justice to the Magnum driver I would be all over that.
The o2 rig above could never be used on a plane, or even in a loud coffee shop, but on the balcony, or around the house it's perfect.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #3,140 of 7,509
I am still loving my JH16 iems for portable as they can easily make me think that I am at a rock concert and hear sounds from all over the soundstage.  I can crank them with no distortion and no-one standing near by can hear a thing.

Hoping that the new Alo Rx mk3 balanced amp will raise the bar from the already heady heights of the RSA 71/b.  One can only dream....and wait....

Quote:
I use the AU 717 85w/ch into 8ohm, as my desktop amp for the HE-6. Have no illusions, the o2 does not and  could never come near that combination.
My point was that for a $130 "portable" amp to even come near that level and surpass the M-stage (with A class bias mod)  or the La Figaro 339, is worth notice. I have not heard the 71-B but I understand it gets the HE-6 signing, and not just based on volume, so I would like to hear someone compare the o2 and the 71-B.
I also agree that the HE-6, the LCD-2 or even the Magnum are not ideal portable cans. For true portability you need something sealed, and compact. Unfortunately, IMO there is nothing out there that comes close to the sound of the three above in a sealed headphone. Now if someone could produce a sealed cup that would do justice to the Magnum driver I would be all over that.
The o2 rig above could never be used on a plane, or even in a loud coffee shop, but on the balcony, or around the house it's perfect.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3,141 of 7,509
You got some nice gear there!

How does the SQ of the RoCoo P compare to the DIYmod?

Quote:
Final rig after 2 years of constant meddling. Guess I'm finally a happy man.
biggrin.gif

DIYmod and the very newly acquired Hisound Audio RoCoo-P

ALO Continental and Madcap Penguin Amp on AD8397 & AD825 Op-amps

UM Miracle, Sony EX-1000 & ESW9 recabled with TWag V2

4 LODs made with Copper, Cryo Copper, Copper + Silver and TWag V1 ultra low profile

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3,143 of 7,509
Now enjoying uncompressed PCM tracks;

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #3,144 of 7,509

Quote:
Now enjoying uncompressed PCM tracks;

really cool looking rig.. Dont see many minidisk players anymore.
that shadow makes the player look huge! :wink:

Any reason you chose this over say an ipod, clip+ or one of many other players capable of playing lossless files like Flac or others that can hold more files that take up less space?

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3,145 of 7,509
Thanks BR777.

Any reason you chose this over say an ipod, clip+ or one of many other players capable of playing lossless files like Flac or others that can hold more files that take up less space?

This is the only source I know that will give me the cleanest sound as possible in terms of portability and I don't want to bring my precious CD's in check-in baggage. Actually, this will be used only for jazz and classical music (recorded from premium discs) when I'm away with my home rig and I have my HD5 for rock, metal and pop musics.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3,146 of 7,509

Quote:
This is the only source I know that will give me the cleanest sound as possible in terms of portability and I don't want to bring my precious CD's in check-in baggage. Actually, this will be used only for jazz and classical music (recorded from premium discs) when I'm away with my home rig and I have my HD5 for rock, metal and pop musics.

maybe i'm missing something but what makes this players sound cleaner than lossless files on another player?
what do you mean by "premium discs" 

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #3,147 of 7,509

Quote:
maybe i'm missing something but what makes this players sound cleaner than lossless files on another player?
what do you mean by "premium discs" 

For me, uncompressed files still the best format from the original source.

I have premium recorded cd's like 24 bit remastering, SACD, HDCD, DVD-Audio, XRCD and K2 HD CD.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #3,149 of 7,509

Quote:
EW9 Eye candy

How do you like yours? 
beyersmile.png
 I bought them at a low price planning to sell for a premium, ended up keeping them!

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3,150 of 7,509

Quote:
How do you like yours? 
beyersmile.png
 I bought them at a low price planning to sell for a premium, ended up keeping them!

It all started with a purchase of the EM7s, and now I think I have a few too many...

While they don't isolate too well, and I find them at bit lacking in bass, they are amazingly comfortable on my ears.

It also doesn't hurt that they are beautifully-made.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back