Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Sep 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #6,931 of 7,509
Quote:
I can vouch for you brother, the Z1060 with the EX1000's is my goto rig, it powers them really well!, Not as good as the L3 (duh) but QUITE WELL. I have a Z2, I use it with ER4PT's, isnt hasn't been TOO impressive so far, but I'm still playing with it.

How much better is your the L3 over your Z1060's headphone out?  My Larocco Pocket Reference is better but not by much.  Thanks.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #6,932 of 7,509
The bass, the impact with the L3 is nothing short of incredible, if you have a chance to use the EX1000's with an L3 at a meet I STRONGLY suggest you give it a shot.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #6,935 of 7,509
Quote:
How is it funny I'm selling my Sony? I still have more Sony stuff, and I'm contemplating another Sony. Sounds amazingly reasonable,...
rolleyes.gif

And as for BBE, I also prefer a Rockboxed device to a Cowon. My clip+ and even iPod mini are preferred over a Cowon. SQ wise I like what RB can do, and quite easily at that (as long as you know what your doing). Cowon is, sadly at this point, overhyped.
Now, tbh, I'd love a Cowon X7 - because I was hoping playlists would be better with a large hdd. But, there's still issues, and the crap screen killed it for me. Plus, not enough hardware controls. I need the same controls as the J3 has. The X9 has the controls, but still a crappy screen & too low a capacity. Playlists are, as usual Cowon fare, a nightmare.

Mmmh... I don't understand the rage about this to be honest. A digital signal is a digital signal. Any system that allows to "touch" these signals is welcomed in my opinion - it can certainly help to accurately match some IEMs with the player. BBE is by far the best of the lot and that does not take away the effort Cowon put in getting decent DAC and DAC implementation in their players... But saying that I'm looking forward to get a NSWF807 and to post a few pictures here. The problem with Cowon, as you so well outline, is not so much the sound quality but the hardware implementation which seems to be worse and worse as time goes by (with the exception of the S9/J3 combo of late). I have almost 100GB of music on a decent great sounding  small player with 40hrs of battery. I wish Sony could do that (they only have to add a micro_SD slot!!)

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6,936 of 7,509
Until I joined Head-Fi I used old Cowon players (iAudio) over few years like the iAudio M3L and iAudio 9. They were nice players but not without the BBE and EQ settings tweaked.

Now I consider the whole EQ'ing isn't for me. Feels better listening directly to how the equipment delivers music to me. No EQ with portable, no EQ at home. Then I ended up with the gear now and I'm totally happy.. just my 2c

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #6,937 of 7,509
Quote:
Until I joined Head-Fi I used old Cowon players (iAudio) over few years like the iAudio M3L and iAudio 9. They were nice players but not without the BBE and EQ settings tweaked.

Sorry to quote the picture but what is that?!

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #6,938 of 7,509
Quote:

Now I consider the whole EQ'ing isn't for me. Feels better listening directly to how the equipment delivers music to me. No EQ with portable, no EQ at home. Then I ended up with the gear now and I'm totally happy.. just my 2c

That is my point too! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

What the thing does that knob in the middle of PCB?

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #6,939 of 7,509
     Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to quote the picture but what is that?!

iAudio M3 or M3L as I mentioned... it's a product back in 2005. 20GB HDD player. Back in time it already handled most of the music file formats that the current Cowons support (except for movies, AAC and MP4). I think it was when iPods started to dominate the world, but iPods weren't able to play most of my music in WMA, OGG and some other lossless, so I bought the M3L and was happy. I liked the drag and drop easiness of transfering files, and playback with M3U playlists made easily with Winamp or WMP. Now I use a RockBox'd iPod to still do this.

The M3's seek time wasn't so great as it's HDD, so I read there are guys that mod it with CF.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #6,942 of 7,509
Quote:

Quite interesting set up: small DAP, slim amp and thick LOD. By the way, it is good.
What genres of electronic you are listening to, and do headphones performs OK?

with this set usually listening to minimal techno, glitch, and other electronics, like Alva Noto, Byetone, Kangding Ray, Clark, Aphex Twin, Pan Sonics, Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, ...
They sound so extremely balanced on the TMA-1. The treble has enough sparkle, but not piercing. Excellent PRaT, incredible but controlled bass punch, energy, forwardness, decent soundstage and instrument separation, they are all there.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6,943 of 7,509

my first official rig and i can say im pretty proud of it.

hopefully i wont have to buy another one but i know iths place and it penchant for depleting bank accounts and the like

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6,944 of 7,509
Quote:
with this set usually listening to minimal techno, glitch, and other electronics, like Alva Noto, Byetone, Kangding Ray, Clark, Aphex Twin, Pan Sonics, Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, ...
They sound so extremely balanced on the TMA-1. The treble has enough sparkle, but not piercing. Excellent PRaT, incredible but controlled bass punch, energy, forwardness, decent soundstage and instrument separation, they are all there.

Yeah? I like those electronic branches too. Your description of SQ sounds really pleasantly, I'd like to try one. 
wink.gif

Quote:

hopefully i wont have to buy another one but i know iths place and it penchant for depleting bank accounts and the like

Does the ATH-M50 really takes the advantage of amplification?

P.S. This hobby is so addicting -- sorry about your wallet. Just in advance. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #6,945 of 7,509
Quote:

good luck there
i just started really getting into head fi this year, and i started off with a gr07, and at the time i thought the asg 1 were too expensive
now im thinking about 1k amps, and totl universal ciems
dang 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back