Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5,866 of 7,509
Quote:
That is sick- I wonder if you could throw a super small amp on the other side (like a rsa shadow) and then wire the line out cable along the headphone band..

I actually have a shadow, but honestly I do not think it adds anything to the equation. If you are going to amp the T50 you at least need something like the Arrow with gain of II. The beauty of these headphones is that with some simple and cheap mods you can significantly improve the sound, however the downside is that to fully hear the improvement you need a bigger amp. The best results I have had so far are from my 65lb 165w/ch vintage Pioneer, which would be tough to make portable. But I have to say they also sound darn good with the Continental/CLAS rig.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #5,869 of 7,509
Quote:
I actually have a shadow, but honestly I do not think it adds anything to the equation. If you are going to amp the T50 you at least need something like the Arrow with gain of II. The beauty of these headphones is that with some simple and cheap mods you can significantly improve the sound, however the downside is that to fully hear the improvement you need a bigger amp. The best results I have had so far are from my 65lb 165w/ch vintage Pioneer, which would be tough to make portable. But I have to say they also sound darn good with the Continental/CLAS rig.

Ah, that makes sense... but you really should throw the 65lb 165w/ch vintage Pioneer on the other side! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Just curious, guys, what actualy the best LOD i could get today? What the most High-End models you know? :)

The most expensive wires today are the crystal piccolinos and double helix has a rectangular silver core wire.  A lot of people believe that cables make a big difference, a lot of people believe that cables make no difference, and personally I think that they make a slight difference.  I wouldn't spend much on them compared to the rest of the rig, and that's especially true for LODs, since they're such small part of it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #5,871 of 7,509
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense... but you really should throw the 65lb 165w/ch vintage Pioneer on the other side! 
biggrin.gif

Throw a car battery in a backpack, and you're good to go! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #5,872 of 7,509
Quote:
The most expensive wires today are the crystal piccolinos and double helix has a rectangular silver core wire.  A lot of people believe that cables make a big difference, a lot of people believe that cables make no difference, and personally I think that they make a slight difference.  I wouldn't spend much on them compared to the rest of the rig, and that's especially true for LODs, since they're such small part of it.

Yeah, I agree - it is too personal and esoteric for normal plebs. But if one built complete rig and just want to max it hell out... :)

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5,873 of 7,509
Just to chime in on the cable thing . . . I was a non believer in cables making a difference until I just picked up a chris_himself cable for my Ety ER4B and the difference is phenomenal. So much more bass and warmth coming from these phones now. It's just too bad the cord is far too stiff and has awful microphonics. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #5,874 of 7,509
Your rig is only as good as the weakest link. I have heard the difference between cables, and it can mean the slight difference of the music being fatiguing to it being warm and pleasant for multiple hours on end. They bring a certain characteristic to them that if you're familiar with a particular rig will surprise you with the sonic difference.
Quote:

Crystal Piccolino.......it's as ridiculous and amazing as you may think. I think they are the most expensive LOD's to get it seems. They are highly rare as most people dont seem to sell them after they've owned them. Sound like something you want? Probably....it's silver with gold plating that apparently makes for a very nice mix.
Quote:
Yeah, I agree - it is too personal and esoteric for normal plebs. But if one built complete rig and just want to max it hell out... :)

Yes, Chris_Himself cables are nice. They are working on getting stranded varieties of that cable made, so it has better flexibility and less microphonics. I would email Chris_Himself about when they will have that in. Also, how many hours of use is on that cable? How much burn in?
Quote:
Just to chime in on the cable thing . . . I was a non believer in cables making a difference until I just picked up a chris_himself cable for my Ety ER4B and the difference is phenomenal. So much more bass and warmth coming from these phones now. It's just too bad the cord is far too stiff and has awful microphonics. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #5,875 of 7,509
Quote:
Yes, Chris_Himself cables are nice. They are working on getting stranded varieties of that cable made, so it has better flexibility and less microphonics. I would email Chris_Himself about when they will have that in. Also, how many hours of use is on that cable? How much burn in?

I bought the ER4B and cable together from head-fier Vertigo-1 so I'm not sure how much burn in the cable has received. I've personally only used it for an hour or so because with such horrendous microphonics it's not very practical to use. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #5,876 of 7,509
That's why I sold my Chris_Himself cable. But it should get better very soon. I've noticed the microphonics just on my Silver Ray LOD
Quote:
I bought the ER4B and cable together from head-fier Vertigo-1 so I'm not sure how much burn in the cable has received. I've personally only used it for an hour or so because with such horrendous microphonics it's not very practical to use. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #5,879 of 7,509
A cable is a cable and nothing more especially when you're talking an LOD. If a1000 dollar cable makes that big of a difference then let's see some scientific proof to back up the claims. Show me some proof from an accredited scientist or scientific organization and I'll believe it. Until then anyone who says a piccolini makes a huge difference is just making a claim and nothing more. Now let's leave the cable talk for the sound science forum and please get back to pics of our portable rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back