Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Mar 23, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #4,216 of 7,509

Fostex HP-P1 + iPod Touch + Westone 4r with IEM Silver Dragon cable.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #4,218 of 7,509
thanks! it's just a wood vinyl, cut manually then coated with a clear gloss acrylic paint to give it a glossy wood finish.

real wood would be awesome 
cool.gif

Still looks awesome. I would imagine that it's very hard to not make the edges look horrible when you do that.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #4,219 of 7,509

Quote:
That can't be portable...can it?

What would make you think it is not portable...it can sit in my pocket all day with the cable running up t omy ears. Less than an inch thick...maybe 1.25" at most.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #4,220 of 7,509

Quote:

What would make you think it is not portable...it can sit in my pocket all day with the cable running up t omy ears. Less than an inch thick...maybe 1.25" at most.

the size of that amp maybe...

Just looking at it let alone actually having it in my pockets makes me think about the "head-fi portable" not actually portable amps lol

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #4,221 of 7,509

Quote:
the size of that amp maybe...

Just looking at it let alone actually having it in my pockets makes me think about the "head-fi portable" not actually portable amps lol

Well I guess if you were comparing it to a Clip maybe but this fairly small in absolute terms.  I am getting the iBasso DX100 dap soon but I would guess you would consider that not portable either since its size is very similar to what is in the picture. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #4,222 of 7,509

Quote:
Well I guess if you were comparing it to a Clip maybe but this fairly small in absolute terms.  I am getting the iBasso DX100 dap soon but I would guess you would consider that not portable either since its size is very similar to what is in the picture. 

well I dunno :)
I just find the word portable to be very loosely used here on head-fi.

Carrying something that is double, if not the same size as my source, i consider not being truly portable.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #4,223 of 7,509

Quote:

Carrying something that is double, if not the same size as my source, i consider not being truly portable.

It depends. One can argue that a tablet like an iPad is portable. xD

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #4,224 of 7,509
...and super fragile... (grumbling while I gaze at my iPad 2 with cracked screen... that doesn't want to pair with my iBasso D-Zero without extra power).

Quote:

It depends. One can argue that a tablet like an iPad is portable. xD

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #4,226 of 7,509

Quote:

[size=small]

port·a·ble

  [pawr-tuh-buhl, pohr-]  Show IPA
[/size]

[size=small] [size=small] adjective [size=1em] 1. [size=small] capable of being transported or conveyed: a portable stage.[/size]
[/size]

[size=1em] 2. [size=small] easily carried or conveyed by hand: a portable typewriter.[/size]
[/size]

[size=1em] 3. [size=small] Computers (of data sets, software, etc.) capable of beingused on different computer systems.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I think what most people class as a portable rig is met by these definitions. I would hate to try and carry my Caspian Pre and Power amps and MF X-Can round with me 
wink_face.gif
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Having said that.....I couldnt fit my RSA-71 portable amp and modded iPod in my pocket......however I can transfer it between office / train / hotel rooms and office very easily. I can also use it in the garden in any room in the house, when camping etc etc etc. So to me my rig is portable.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[/size]

[/size]
[/size]

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #4,227 of 7,509

Quote:
Yeah for sure. I can find a good price on the one you're using around $5 AUS (20cm). It's the low profile one a member has that I can't find very cheap. I think this idea is a revolution to bands getting in the way of screens and what not I wouldn't of known unless watching your video.

Cheers! 

Well, that's strange coz I found the low-profile one I use to be the least expensive - from where I got it 100cm were 5 bucks, so I just got 2 meters for $10 and now I have so much to play with. I see that on amazon it's a little bit more expensive but still not 5 bucks for 20cm. 

I also think portable rigs are percieved differently by different people as some of us don't carry bags always or don't use cars for our commute. I for one like to go out for a walk and enjoy my music without all the other people staring at the bulge in my pocket and my friends asking me if that's my "rig" and that it seems happy to see them.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #4,228 of 7,509

Quote:

Fostex HP-P1 + iPod Touch + Westone 4r with IEM Silver Dragon cable.

Sorry I know this is off-topic.

I auditioned the HP-P1 (with Classic and JH13s) recently at Jaben. It was brief, and I tend to hear a little less well in Jaben (I don't know why).

TBH, it was a little underwhelming for me. Yes, it widened the soundstage quite a bit, and sounds were more focussed than before, but vocals also became a tad less intimate in some cases, and overall dynamics didn't improve significantly (should I be looking at Amps more than DACs for this?). Overall, it just didn't strike me as a product worth buying, especially given its cost and (lack of) portability.

Am I alone on this?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #4,230 of 7,509

Quote:

Port·a·ble

  [pawr-tuh-buhl, pohr-]  Show IPA  
[size=small] [size=small] adjective [size=1em] 1. [size=small] capable of being transported or conveyed: a portable stage.[/size]
[/size]

[size=1em] 2. [size=small] easily carried or conveyed by hand: a portable typewriter.[/size]
[/size]

[size=1em] 3. [size=small] Computers (of data sets, software, etc.) capable of beingused on different computer systems.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I think what most people class as a portable rig is met by these definitions. I would hate to try and carry my Caspian Pre and Power amps and MF X-Can round with me 
wink_face.gif
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Having said that.....I couldnt fit my RSA-71 portable amp and modded iPod in my pocket......however I can transfer it between office / train / hotel rooms and office very easily. I can also use it in the garden in any room in the house, when camping etc etc etc. So to me my rig is portable.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[/size]

[/size]
[/size]

x2

My Class Rig is 4 stacked including my iPod but the Class + DB2 + PB2 generally sit in my messenger bag and the iPod is on a USB umbilical to the Class. My messenger bag goes everywhere with me anyway (Wallet / Camera / Wife's lipstick 
rolleyes.gif
etc...) so I may as well have the best portable rig I can afford and carry. This rig also doubles as my vacation rig but I swap the ES5's and use my balanced D7000's in the evenings indoors. Small rig, big, big sound.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back