Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2,911 of 7,509
How are you liking the 428's? I modded mine by also recabling them but I also modded the 3 holes behind the drivers (One with the original mesh, one with tape and one left open) and filled the cups with synthetic cotton used in cheap stuffed animals. This gave the bass more presence in my opinion and added more variation to how the bass sounded since before I remember the bass had the same "punch" sound to it. However because the headphones are pretty big to wear in public and didn't isolate very well I decided to give them away to my brothers and just yesterday I ordered a pair of AKG K518LE headphones for $41 (Amazon got a deal going on). From what I've read, while the High's aren't that great, the mids and lows are spectacular especially for electronic music and they are great at isolation.

Quote:
haven't posted my newest portable rig, so hey why not now???

80 GB Ipod (that I found on the sidewalk one night while walking to a party), DIY LOD (Ridax connector, silver plated copper wire, Neutrik right angle 1/8"), O2 amp, Sennheiser HD428's recabled with belden mini star quad to neutrik right angle 1/8".

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,912 of 7,509

Quote:
You might want to read this post.

That post kind of scratches on my issues with the O2 when compared to the Beta22 (3 channel version).

-Instrument separation is very lacking.
-Faster music gets jumbled
-Snare drums sound life like on a beta22, yet sound like a recorded snare drum with the O2

I don't want to jumble up the Portable Rig discussing the differences between an O2 and a Beta22 though, so I'll leave it at that.  More pictures!

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2,913 of 7,509

Quote:
How are you liking the 428's? I modded mine by also recabling them but I also modded the 3 holes behind the drivers (One with the original mesh, one with tape and one left open) and filled the cups with synthetic cotton used in cheap stuffed animals. This gave the bass more presence in my opinion and added more variation to how the bass sounded since before I remember the bass had the same "punch" sound to it. However because the headphones are pretty big to wear in public and didn't isolate very well I decided to give them away to my brothers and just yesterday I ordered a pair of AKG K518LE headphones for $41 (Amazon got a deal going on). From what I've read, while the High's aren't that great, the mids and lows are spectacular especially for electronic music and they are great at isolation.

I like them, I don't use them for critical listening, just music at work or while traveling, but they do what I need.  They're a smidge bass heavy for me, but that's fine, it just encourages me to listen to more hip hop and death metal, which is good.

I haven't done anything to these besides a new cable, do you have pics of your mods?  PM them to me maybe?

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2,914 of 7,509

Quote:
Here is my setup after getting the ALO Continental V2 along with the Fostex HP-P1 and Beyer DT1350s.  Click the image to enlarge the image.

For more pictures of my setup go here but most are not very good.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/slwiser/Portable%20setup/

Can I ask where you got those bands? Trying to find something that will fit across my PB1/DB2 combo.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,915 of 7,509
I have two different size bands there. One set is from ALO, the other from Moon Audio. Moon Audio bands are better.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #2,916 of 7,509

Quote:

80 GB Ipod (that I found on the sidewalk one night while walking to a party), DIY LOD (Ridax connector, silver plated copper wire, Neutrik right angle 1/8"), O2 amp, Sennheiser HD428's recabled with belden mini star quad to neutrik right angle 1/8".

(snip)

I use to have the 428s.. I thought they were really decent for the price. Super comfortable too, IMO. Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who bought a set. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #2,917 of 7,509
Other portable setup, Sansa Clip+ (rockboxed), Monster Beats.

I bought the Beats one day when I was working on a job site and my other ear buds crapped out on me, had to go to a radio shack during lunch and saw that they had them for sale, so I bought them just to see how they sounded.  With my Ipod Touch I didn't care for them, way too much sloppy bass, but then one day I plugged them into the clip and found them to fit pretty well.  With the clip having a kind of flat/natural/dead/level (pick which ever description you like) response, it tamed the low end of the beats, not into the realm of amazing, but it's become my go to tiny portable rig.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2,918 of 7,509

Quote:
Here is my setup after getting the ALO Continental V2 along with the Fostex HP-P1 and Beyer DT1350s.  Click the image to enlarge the image.

I use to have an iPod Touch - CLAS - Continental - HD 25-I-II....

...to bad it was a review sample. 
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2,919 of 7,509

Quote:
I like them, I don't use them for critical listening, just music at work or while traveling, but they do what I need.  They're a smidge bass heavy for me, but that's fine, it just encourages me to listen to more hip hop and death metal, which is good.

I haven't done anything to these besides a new cable, do you have pics of your mods?  PM them to me maybe?

I'll upload and PM you pick as soon as my mom brings back her Sony H70 from her trip, right now she's all the way in Russia :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #2,920 of 7,509

Quote:
Other portable setup, Sansa Clip+ (rockboxed), Monster Beats.

I bought the Beats one day when I was working on a job site and my other ear buds crapped out on me, had to go to a radio shack during lunch and saw that they had them for sale, so I bought them just to see how they sounded.  With my Ipod Touch I didn't care for them, way too much sloppy bass, but then one day I plugged them into the clip and found them to fit pretty well.  With the clip having a kind of flat/natural/dead/level (pick which ever description you like) response, it tamed the low end of the beats, not into the realm of amazing, but it's become my go to tiny portable rig.

I actually like the design of the Beats a lot except for the sound quality. If they had good sound then I'd absolutely love them. The design scheme that Dre has going is pretty awesome, IMO.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #2,921 of 7,509

Quote:
I actually like the design of the Beats a lot except for the sound quality. If they had good sound then I'd absolutely love them. The design scheme that Dre has going is pretty awesome, IMO.

Definitely fashion over function.  My biggest gripe about them is that the hole in the rubber ear piece is too small and the housings are real heavy, so when you put them in the weight pulls them down, angling the opening away from the ear canal which really attenuates the highs.  I need to remember to take a drill bit to them and make the opening larger.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #2,922 of 7,509

The HD428s have surprising BASS once you mod them up a bit.  I've had 4 pairs, 3 were modded and sold.  The last pair I kept to myself.

Quote:

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #2,923 of 7,509
Nice rig.  It is always great to see someone that has a bigger mobile rig than mine.  I can imagine that your work colleagues ask you "what the ??? is that" quite often.  :)

Can I ask if you have had your DT1350's recabled?  Mine just has the stock cables and it is single sided.  I have been considering getting Moon to give them some of their Silver Moon loving.  They are seriously cool looking cans.  Love the stainless steel industrial look.  I would guess that they would pair well with the Continental.  Mine sound pretty good with the RX2 but they get added impact and dynamics when I plug them into the Lyr at home.

Quote:

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #2,924 of 7,509

Quote:
Can I ask if you have had your DT1350's recabled?  Mine just has the stock cables and it is single sided.  I have been considering getting Moon to give them some of their Silver Moon loving.

I got the DT1350 from Moon Audio and wanted a very flexible cable so I ask if he could do the IEM Silver Dragon cable which is very different from his regular Silver Dragon Cable being a different gauge wire.  He provided it for me; of course, for a price.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #2,925 of 7,509

Wanted to share my current portable gears:

Amps and DACs

Fostex HP-P1 - Headphone Amp and DAC
ALO RxII - Heaphone Amp
ALO Continental - Hybrid Vacuum Tube Amp
Ray Samuels SR-71 Original - Headphone Amp
Furutech ADL Cruise - Headphone Amp and 24/96 DAC

Sources

120 GB iPod Classic with AIFF files
64GB iPod Touch 3rd Gen with 24/48 high res files

IEMs

AKG K3003 Reference 3-Way Earphones 
Westone 4 with Sony Hybrid Tips

Cables

ALO Compact Right Angle SXC 22awg Mini-to-Mini IC
Furutech iD-35SP Mini-to-Mini IC
Blackwing Customs iPod LOD to USB 22awg Mundorf gold/silver
Blackwing Customs iPod LOD to USB Kimber 4TC
Blackwing Customs iPod LOD to USB Denko
Blackwing Customs 22awg Mundorf gold/silver Mini-to-Mini IC
Blackwing Customs Kimber 4TC Mini-to-Mini IC

I think my search for the best sounding portable setup that exactly suits my musical preferences and budget ends with these babies  ;D 

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back