Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Sep 29, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,591 of 7,509
After much changing of components I am really happy with the sound.  The RX amp took ages to break in but is now awesome IMO.  The CLAS is simply a game changer over an ipod or Cowon players.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,592 of 7,509
That is an awesome interconnect. May I ask where you got it ?

Quote:
After much changing of components I am really happy with the sound.  The RX amp took ages to break in but is now awesome IMO.  The CLAS is simply a game changer over an ipod or Cowon players.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,593 of 7,509

Quote:
Top is my First and Last name, and the bottom line is my Head-Fi nickname - TORONTORACCOON.
My SLR is crashed, so I was using my Macbook Airs webcam and the Photo Booth app.

What if you ever decide to sell them? :)

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,594 of 7,509

Why not just get a modified iPod like http://www.whiplashaudio.com/personal-players/whiplash-audio-whipmod.html so you don't have so much to carry around? Whiplash also makes a different modified iPod that uses compact flash to compete with ALOs SSDiMod. I own one and it sounds fantastic.

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,595 of 7,509

Quote:
Why not just get a modified iPod like http://www.whiplashaudio.com/personal-players/whiplash-audio-whipmod.html so you don't have so much to carry around? Whiplash also makes a different modified iPod that uses compact flash to compete with ALOs SSDiMod. I own one and it sounds fantastic.

Because a $460 thing cant possibly do the same as a $1300?

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,596 of 7,509
LOL! More money != better.
ALOs SSD iMod is $900... whiplash does the same thing they do except instead instead of a ssd they use compact flash... ALO is SOOO overpriced. They wanted me to buy 22' of cable for $225 when you can buy 25' of the cable from the maker for $125... If you want proof I'm more than happy to send you the emails where I argued with them about it. I even called them to talk about it and I heard a female in the background using profanity toward me because I asked if I could buy my own cable and send it to them. What a great company they are!

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,597 of 7,509

If I was a company I would use some choice words if a customer asked me to make a cable for them using cable they sent in and expected a price less than what I charge normally. 

As a individual I am floored at spending $5 a foot for signal cable.

As an aside, I would not put $460 into an iPod be it iMod or otherwise, the CLAS to me is worth the extra cost and bulk. It's not that much to carry around when you consider today the average person carries a pack with a laptop, or books and a plethora of other things, a small iPod, DAC, and amp in that form factor amount to very little bulk.
Quote:
LOL! More money != better.
ALOs SSD iMod is $900... whiplash does the same thing they do except instead instead of a ssd they use compact flash... ALO is SOOO overpriced. They wanted me to buy 22' of cable for $225 when you can buy 25' of the cable from the maker for $125... If you want proof I'm more than happy to send you the emails where I argued with them about it. I even called them to talk about it and I heard a female in the background using profanity toward me because I asked if I could buy my own cable and send it to them. What a great company they are!

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #1,598 of 7,509
If I was a company I would use some choice words if a customer asked me to make a cable for them using cable they sent in and expected a price less than what I charge normally. 

As a individual I am floored at spending $5 a foot for signal cable.

As an aside, I would not put $460 into an iPod be it iMod or otherwise, the CLAS to me is worth the extra cost and bulk. It's not that much to carry around when you consider today the average person carries a pack with a laptop, or books and a plethora of other things, a small iPod, DAC, and amp in that form factor amount to very little bulk.

You don't understand. In short I was going to buy this -> http://aloaudio.com/ultrasone-hfi-780-mod-with-alo-audio-lux-fep-cable-5-feet.html I asked them how much it would cost to use 22' jenna wire instead of their regular wire to which they replied $665. An extra $225 (buying the cable directly from jenna labs is only $125) on top of the $440 price which includes 22' of their own cable which I would no longer be using... If you think that is reasonable I don't know what to say.

You aren't putting $460 into a already purchased ipod. You are buying a whole ipod that is then modified.

The bulk part... I can fit my WhipMod + SR-71B in my fannypack that I wear around at work because its already too big to fit in my pocket if. If it were any larger I wouldn't have a way of carrying it without it causing mobility problems at work.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,599 of 7,509
When I lost my charger for the CLAS, I knew I should be able to find a similar online for quite cheap. So I asked ALO to give me the specs and where I can find a product like that, I was expecting to be helped out. Instead I was offered to buy it from them for twice the price you could find it online. That, my friend, is not good customer care. I am with Baird GoW on this one. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #1,600 of 7,509
That is an awesome interconnect. May I ask where you got it ?

I bought the connectors from another head-fier but they were brand new. They are made by Jeremy of twisted cables here in Australia. The cable is piccolino and is seriously impressive. It is very soft and flexible. The ends also appear custom made. I will send a pic of the mini to mini as well later on. It couldn't get any shorter.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #1,601 of 7,509

The whip mods and the RWA imod only bypass the stock iPod amp. The low quality digital to analogue chip within the iPod is still used. The CLAS uses reference class wolfson dacs and sounds significantly better IMO.

The CLAS helps imagining, definition and outputs twice the voltage of an iPod too. I agree that it costs a heap to put it all together but the sound quality competes against my home rig. Try it if you ever get a chance.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #1,603 of 7,509
I thought about digging out my old MD walkman.  I even have an old full sized component still at my folks house.  One album is too restrictive though when you are used to carrying in excess of 100gb.

Here is my other connector on my portable rig.  Jeremy from Twisted cables is a star.  Very nice work.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,605 of 7,509
Err Spud me ol son.....now thats not even got ya ipod player on it? suppose you must look a real sight when on the road.......
biggrin.gif

Sure must be nice soundin though.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back