Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Oct 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #1,111 of 3,208

Quote:
To you guys with the rooted phones, I have the ATT captivate (galaxy s) and I can root it but im wondering if it is worth it? I have a lot of apps an I wouldn't mind adding everything back... But what else can you do? Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, I love the pictures.

it's really not as big of a deal as most people think. for the captivate it's very easy to get superuser permissions, which is what root is. you download a file onto the phone, boot into recovery and install the file. depending on what you actually want to do there may be more to it, but to simply have it rooted is very very easy. it doesn't erase all your apps or reset your phone.

there are a lot of advantages, but it's not for everybody. you can delete all the crap apps that come installed that you don't want, you can install apps that are not on the android market, you can tether, you can block adds, you can underclock for battery savings or overclock to increase speed, you can add custom themes to change the look, the options are endless.

here is a link for all the info you should need on rooting your Captivate: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S/SGH-I897#Rooting

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,112 of 3,208
wow so rooting doesn't erase everything? And yea if I did the over and underclocking were at the top of my list, along with deleting the crap applications anyway. Thanks for taking the time out to reply man.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #1,113 of 3,208

Quote:
wow so rooting doesn't erase everything? And yea if I did the over and underclocking were at the top of my list, along with deleting the crap applications anyway. Thanks for taking the time out to reply man.
smily_headphones1.gif

simply rooting just gives you root. it keeps the phone exactly as it was, except from this point on you can do anything you want. but as long as you keep the stock rom, then you don't have to erase anything.

if you decide to run a custom rom, then you will have to wipe the phone, then flash the rom, then put all your apps and stuff back on. it all depends on what you want to do.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #1,114 of 3,208
026.png

044-1.png

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #1,117 of 3,208

Quote:
is that  a parametric eq on a portable player/phone?!?.. wow im jelous!

I have a parametric EQ on all three of my players, and on the fourth that is on its way.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back