Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Sep 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #676 of 3,208
_MG_1973_tonemapped.jpg

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #680 of 3,208

Quote:
Multi-touch, colored and bigger screen, and line-out just to name a few.

Seems we're looking for very different things in a player, understandable that not one player fits all. I like looking under the hood of a device, I don't care much for eye candy and bling. Don't get me wrong, I like solid design, and I like the looks of the Nano - but looks aren't everything for me.

As I understand it, multi-touch is only used for turning the screen? Doesn't sound very useful to me. Tactile controls sound more reasonable and usable to me in a small player, especially one obviously made for physical activities, since it has a clip. A color screen sure is nice, for album art and video - unfortunately the new Nano doesn't support video playback. I guess some people do have a use for it for photos, but it's a bit small for that. All players with line-out I tried had either the same output quality as over their headphone-out, or even worse (Cowon X5 and Sony A845, to name a few). Amping a headphone-out, if necessary, is just fine, as I found out. Never found a line-out to sound obviously superior with a portable amp.

Quote:
Airwax, I think what DKFT means is that the sounds quality is superior to the Nana. Would you agree DKFT?

I was more thinking about 'real' features, where a Rockboxed player of course beats any other player by far - at least for my needs (which certainly aren't the needs of all the other people commenting on this new iPod). As for sound quality, all players sound basically the same anyways when played flat, without EQ or other sound enhancements, as my listening tests have told me. When it comes to EQing, it's a whole other story, of course.

Quote:
I'm obviously talking about features though. I don't know the about the sound quality of the new nano because I don't have it. Come to think of it feature-wise, the nano has the edge over the clip+.

Well, the Clip+ has a SDHC slot, lots of tactile buttons for easy control on the go, the best EQ on any portable player (with Rockbox), file/folder and tag browsing, standard MSC transfer mode, a standard USB port, Replaygain, FLAC/Vorbis/etc, and so on.

But yeah, as I already have said above, we're certainly looking for very different things in a player. I just wanted to say that - for me, and certainly others - the Nano sure doesn't have more or better features than the Clip+. But YMMV, of course.

Quote:
Apple haters are everywhere
ph34r.gif

I haven't seen any 'Apple haters' in this current discussion. It all sounded rather unbiased and factual so far.

Quote:
Clip+ with Rockbox has a great EQ and audio features the nano does not.

Seems it's worlds apart, what people are looking for in the iPod monoculture, and in an open Rockboxed player. There's probably not much common ground to discuss all this. Good thing there's a big enough demographic for both 'extremes' of the portable player spectrum, so everyone can be happy. :)

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #681 of 3,208

Quote:
The nano has EQ and other audio features also, they may not be the greatest but they have them, although sometimes useless. Besides, not a lot of people likes to tinker with the audio settings.

I am one of those people that doesn't use EQ at all, but Apple has finally improved it in the new iOS it so no more bass distortion at high volume, and no more complaining.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #683 of 3,208

Quote:
I thought about this, and the new nano seems to be a very good choice now comparing to the clip+. I don't like SQ of ipods though. But that line-out is so tempting.

It's very weird how someone would waste their money on such a device, when you could get an ipod touch around the corner for a couple more bucks.
I'm not an apple fan myself, but I'm not trying to be biased against apple, but c'mon, you need to be smart with your money. I would either get the cheap (but quality) clip+, or jump up to the itouch; not some glorified copy of the clip+ with no physical buttons. I'm not going to tell you to buy this or that, this is just a suggestion. I just think that today's ipod nano is the worst price/performance ratio I have ever seen in a DAC (the old nano was way better; without too many gimmicks)

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #684 of 3,208
I like the fact that the jump from 8gb to 16gb of memory on the Nano is only $30, that's the best part of the deal on it IMO.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #685 of 3,208
How the hell is multi-touch on that tiny screen a feature? What is the point of putting a clip on it if you need to SEE the screen to use it? Why does it cost so much? The Nano doesn't touch the Clip+ Rockboxed in terms of features. It doesn't even have video playback anymore.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #686 of 3,208

Quote:
It's very weird how someone would waste their money on such a device, when you could get an ipod touch around the corner for a couple more bucks.
I'm not an apple fan myself, but I'm not trying to be biased against apple, but c'mon, you need to be smart with your money. I would either get the cheap (but quality) clip+, or jump up to the itouch; not some glorified copy of the clip+ with no physical buttons. I'm not going to tell you to buy this or that, this is just a suggestion. I just think that today's ipod nano is the worst price/performance ratio I have ever seen in a DAC (the old nano was way better; without too many gimmicks)

Well considering the fuze is a blatant copy of the ipod nano I don't really think that argument really works with sansa :p

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #688 of 3,208
If the fuze (v1/v2) is a copy of the nano (5th gen) consider the bar not raised but obliterated because the fuze is 10x the player the nano is when you take is features out of the box and rockbox into account.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #689 of 3,208

Quote:
If the fuze (not fuze+) is a copy of the nano consider the bar not raised but obliterated because the fuze is 10x the player the nano is when you take features and rockbox into account.

Not to mention how much money you have saved, with the fuze being super cheap and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back