Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Aug 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #466 of 3,208

Quote:
That Cowon J3 seems to have become the player of choice now. Is it really that good. Sound wise would it be any better than the Sony X1060 or is it just the UI that's better.

Through all the reviews I've read, it has been said that the Cowon S9 and the Sony X have approximately on par sound quality. The Cowon J3 isn't significantly better in SQ, so it seems like the J3 isn't that much better then the X1060. Correct me if I am wrong...

Of course you should keep in mind, that the J3 has amazing battery life and a great screen.

Personally, I am waiting for the Cowon D3, Cowon X7, and the Viliv P3 Prime.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #467 of 3,208
It will be interesting to see the X7. Judging by the leaked pictures it might be very good. Looks nice and slim and if the screen quality is equal to the J3 then it may sell well as long as they are not going to be tight with the storage capacity.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #468 of 3,208

Quote:
Probably the ui is better in some peoples opinion, and some people prefer cowon's sound enhancements over sony.  

This is true, as I've owned both. The J3 is more customizable, and that's why I favor it as well as the D2. Otherwise, there's no downgrade w/a Sony - they both have excellent SQ from the HP out. The EQ on both really does it's thing, and I luv me some EQ'in.
L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #469 of 3,208
If you're going to drive multi-armature IEMs with crossovers, the Cowon might be the better choice. I haven't tested the Sony X, but the Sony A845 can't drive such IEMs properly (due to way too high output impedance).

Also, the J3 doesn't hiss with any super-sensitive IEM, while all Sony players I've tried hiss quite a lot.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #470 of 3,208
A nice setup consisting of a Kenwood HD20GA7 and "modded" AKG K420:

The mod of the K420 is just because of the intense heat the last few weeks here in Tokyo. I put my spare ATH-ES7 earpads on the K420 to keep sweat from soaking the foam pads. The sound has changed a bit. It is slightly more muffled because of double foam layers, but in turn the soundstage has widened a bit. Usually the K420 are in your face a bit like the Koss PortaPro. I kind of like the new sound, but I also like the ordinary sound, so once the temperatures drop below 30C I will remove the earpads.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #471 of 3,208

A couple of new setups:

I really like both but I've never heard the Nokia sound so good.

I think my phone sounds almost as good as my iPad and my iPad sounds very good lol

Just a sucker for that AT house sound I guess
smile.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #472 of 3,208
Lately my favorite portable rig has become THIS:

A Pioneer 7" touchscreen head unit, Alpine 5.25s in the front doors, and a small amp under my seat to power these rears.  All I need is a small sub for the lowest frequencies which the 6x9s can't quite reach.  Both 3.5mm AUX and USB inputs lets me plug in any pocket device.  The Pioneer also has an SDHC slot in additiona to it's CD/DVD slot. Best portable sound I own at the moment.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #474 of 3,208
Lol PortaVan, nice..... I've been contemplating getting one of those.... but am afraid of fakes on ebay! Do you know of reputable sellers? What about custom VANLODS? Do you think it helps?

/is joking LOL

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #475 of 3,208
That's a nice looking CK10 there grokit :) Although it's very difficult to get a good picture of the CK10 since the color isn't black :p You should try some triple flanges on them if you have any and if you can handle them. They were my tip of choice when I had them.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #476 of 3,208
Serious portable: iPhone 4 32GB+RSA Predator+HD 650   Am currently having an ALO 18G Cryo mini to mini converted over to an iPhone LOD

The whole setup still clips firmly inside my Otterbox Defender case holster.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #477 of 3,208
Practical Portable: iPhone 4+Monster Turbine Pro Golds w/ControlTalk

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #478 of 3,208

Quote:
Serious portable: iPhone 4 32GB+RSA Predator+HD 650   Am currently having an ALO 18G Cryo mini to mini converted over to an iPhone LOD

The whole setup still clips firmly inside my Otterbox Defender case holster.

Top notch rig right there...niiiice!!!
beyersmile.png

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #480 of 3,208

Top notch rig right there...niiiice!!!
beyersmile.png

Thanks man. Instead of getting a good amp/dac combo, I kinda wish I would've spent about the same amount of money and purchased great amp. More specifically, an RSA SR71 or maybe a Pico or something slim like the RX, Arrow or Pico Slim. Oh well, I can always sell the Pred and get what I want if I decide too. I'm very pleased with the Predator/HD650 combo though. It really surprised me. But it also got me to thinking what an even better standalone portable amp would've done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back