Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #4,846 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind paying a couple of pounds (£) for an Altoids tin they're freely available for sale on Fleabay, I get them here for DIY cmoy projects on a regular basis.

You get some fairly nice tins at a price, just search Altoids from within Fleabay and you find a whole page full, sometime you get the mints included; sometimes you just get the tin - I've become quite fond of the cinnamon Altoids and the tin smells lovely for months afterwards
tongue.gif

I also go to my local Hobbycraft store, they sell A4 sheets of adhesive backed felt in all colours; which is perfect for lining the inside of the boxes

Lol, I was actually referring to the mints not the tins.
wink.gif

Come to think of it, I have tons of empty Altoids tins up in the attic!

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #4,847 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the "Studio" slightly less garbage than the Pro1 and Pro2?

Indeed, you are correct. I don't find the AMP3 Pro 2 (never heard the 1) bad sounding per se. It is a great mix of a Cowon and 2008 Sony: hissy and constrained whilst driving low Ω headphones or any sort.

But, its midrange is better than the Cowon. That said, the AMP3 is certainly no amp and otherwise wasn't thought well enough through to be good. The studio may be better, the prototype is too fussy (recessed in/out) to be anything more than a model, but I can see it is better than AMP3. But it isn't what I was hoping/expecting.

I actually like the look of the AMP3, so the Studio, to me, is sexy. More pictures coming.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #4,849 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ eam88: How do you like the sound of them? How much do they differ from the PFEs? Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not burned them in or had them too long by initial impression is that they are fairly similar. It could be that the PFEs had better detail and highs but it is close. I think the soundstage and bass are better in the Westone 1s. I am still messing around with all the tips to find the right one. One thing is for sure, the isolation is great with the foam tips. I think the Westone 1s are a good buy. I wish I could do a side by side comparison but I lost the PFEs.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #4,852 of 5,950
And to think I've thrown out all those Altoid mint cans when they good have been put to good use. I have a couple more if someone wants them. I ahve regular altoid tin whichi is red and gold and then I have a creme de menthe (green and gold) mint tin and one other brand name mint tin. PM if anyone wants them. Free. Just a couple of dollars to ship.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #4,854 of 5,950
Another pic of the same rig. . .

4478661857_bc02142d19_o.jpg

4g iPod (the last full-size iPod that ONLY plays music . . until the Rockbox guys got hold of it) with 16gb cf card > MiniAudio MAD 07 (iBasso D2+) > modded/custom HD228

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #4,855 of 5,950
I used to have a 4G iPod. Had mine playing Doom, videos, among other things. Oh how fun it was hacking it.

I'm in the market for a 3G iPod (the one with dedicated buttons and a rolling wheel).

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #4,857 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasraik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the look of it. I'm guessing I can still pick one up someplace? Is RockBoxing it rough at all or pretty easy?

Plenty of 4g iPods available used on ebay (buyer beware), mine arrived with a bad hdd and eventually cost me nothing as the seller refunded me and didn't want the player returned. - WIN!

Rockboxing is super simple these days, the installation application takes care of pretty much everything.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #4,858 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yeah, I think they're M&S's rebrand of Altoids. Powerful stuff.

Yes, they're marketed as curiously strong, but I think seriously strong is more the case!

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #4,859 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a 4G iPod. Had mine playing Doom, videos, among other things. Oh how fun it was hacking it.

I'm in the market for a 3G iPod (the one with dedicated buttons and a rolling wheel).

MMD take a look at the new thread I created and tell me in your experiece if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back