Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Oct 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2,971 of 3,551
I've never heard a difference with amps, but transports and speakers are effected depending on how well they're built. 

For instance, my Cambridge 851, no difference, but I've heard it with cheaper players and most speakers.

Quote:
I used to have a house brick on top of my cd player to stop any vibrations effecting the laser. Does is it actually make any difference with other components?

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2,972 of 3,551
Quote:
I've never heard a difference with amps, but transports and speakers are effected depending on how well they're built. 

For instance, my Cambridge 851, no difference, but I've heard it with cheaper players and most speakers.

Yeah defo for speakers, but even top of the range cd players would benefit depending on what stand they are on imo. Also wood flooring when using speakers, piles of bricks should be used! I can't imagine any benefit for SS amps, as you say. Not sure about tube amps? if they can be affected by vibration as I've never used them with speakers, but because most tube amps display thier tubes on top only a madman would attempt to balance some heavy concrete type stuff on top of them
confused_face.gif
 . Spiked feet on everything makes more sense.  

No benefit if you are using a headphone set up, unless you like to dance about like an idiot
biggrin.gif
 but then I would suggest putting a brick on top of your head to stop it getting out of hand...

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #2,973 of 3,551
There are better options for CD players and tube amps if it's an issue. Proper feet on a CD player (even something as cheap as cork + rubber), and dampers on tube amps. 

Quote:
Yeah defo for speakers, but even top of the range cd players would benefit depending on what stand they are on imo. Also wood flooring when using speakers, piles of bricks should be used! I can't imagine any benefit for SS amps, as you say. Not sure about tube amps? if they can be affected by vibration as I've never used them with speakers, but because most tube amps display thier tubes on top only a madman would attempt to balance some heavy concrete type stuff on top of them
confused_face.gif
 . Spiked feet on everything makes more sense.  

No benefit if you are using a headphone set up, unless you like to dance about like an idiot
biggrin.gif
 but then I would suggest putting a brick on top of your head to stop it getting out of hand...

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #2,974 of 3,551
Talking vibration control, under the devices,i use the following combination from bottow to top:

Golden Sound ceramic cones + Dh Square

Carbon kevlar plate (vibration's sponge)

Fadel amethyst steel/teflon system

And it's important to respect the horizontality (in the two dimensions) on turning machines and speakers

Under my tube amp i use a steel triangle on Lowan counter cones

The feet of my furniture (and speakers stands) are filled with sand and have some Golden sound ceramic cones & DH square
under the furniture's feet.

Oh well and i put some tar sheets into my devices when possible (add weight and calm down vibes), so under my drive, converter and the passive preamp.

And 140lb of rocks on the subwoofer

The combination quoted above

(Golden Sound ceramic cones + Dh Square

Carbon kevlar plate (vibration's sponge)

Fadel amethyst steel/teflon system)

works extremely well but is beaten by the Relaxa plate, magnetic levitation system:

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,975 of 3,551
One of the best isolation products are Stillpoints....

http://www.stillpoints.us/

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2,976 of 3,551
Quote:

Works extremely well but is beaten by the Relaxa plate, magnetic levitation system:

Didn't know anyone used SAP gear.  They used to retail state side with a distributor in Hawaii but that didn't last very long, I think Vincenzo cut that short when he realized the shipping wasn't any cheaper for those in the upper 48.  The Relaxa plate is a very good product, their speakers are also very nice if you've tried any.  

One of the best isolation products are Stillpoints....

http://www.stillpoints.us/

Try Minus K Technology for ultimate isolation.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,979 of 3,551
Quote:
Just a tease to derail this disturbing lack of pics...

I imagine that's a very warm component.  The bread and butter of your set-up, you might say.  Hopefully the treble isn't too hot, though.
i'm sorry i'll go away now

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2,982 of 3,551
Quote:
I imagine that's a very warm component.  The bread and butter of your set-up, you might say.  Hopefully the treble isn't too hot, though.
i'm sorry i'll go away now

Bet his favorite music is Pop Tarts!

Yep, I'm coming with you..

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2,983 of 3,551

I'd say it's an improvement over my iPhone 4 (the camera I mean). As for the system...Later this week that box and Macbook will be moving and there will be a turntable there (finally). Not the one I really wanted, but a decent used deal to hold me over. 

The 851 is also due for an upgrade, but that'll be awhile considering the options I'm looking at.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2,984 of 3,551
Loved my Tannoy Kensington SE for over 3 years. Realized at some point that even bigger Tannoys would be more efficient & extended, and that this would be significant in my room. Here are the new Canterbury SE in my setup. Those are 15" dual-concentric drivers with alnico magnets (shared by the woofer & 2" compression driver tweeter); 235 Litre cabinets; yields an honest 96dB/Watt and 28Hz @-3dB. You might not think that would be a big difference from 93dB/Watt and 29Hz @-6dB, but it is. I also tried the Yorkminster SE, but while its bass was arguably of a higher quality, there was a hardness to the upper mids/lower treble region (compared to Kensington and Canterbury) that I couldn't get past.

Paired with 250+ Watts/ch tube amps? Reaching concert-level at low distortion is not a problem

Looks are decidedly old-school; love it or hate it. I actually dislike most (if not all) of the aesthetic trends in modern high end speakers anyways :) 

For headphones I've been keeping it simple: an HD650 with a "maxed" PPA (still great amps) at home; Shure se535 & iPhone at work. I prefer the HD650, when isolation isn't an issue; super headphones for the money. Not pictured because you guys know damn well what they look like -- and they're not "summit-fi" :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #2,985 of 3,551
When l auditioned the K-01, the speakers used were the Tannoy Westminster Royal se and the SQ was very life like. Because l like the look of Tannoy speakers and their SQ, l was going to get a pair of Kensington se but then realised my wallet was very light. I'd still like some Tannoy speakers but that will probably be along time off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back