Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Dec 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #1,291 of 3,551
Dec 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,292 of 3,551
This is my main rig, powered by a 3W 6B4G SET that I built about a year ago.  The 6B4G is basically a 6.3V 2A3 with an octal base, as opposed to the 4-pin on the 2A3.  They both sound pretty much the same, but I feel the 6B4G has a tad more grunt on the low end.  The rectifier is a solid state Weber Copper Cap WAX5, which is a drop in replacement for a 6AX5.  Tubes are newer production Sovtek 6B4G monoplates, which sound downright excellent.  Ive used NOS Tung Sol double blackplates, RCA, and Sylvania 6B4Gs, and they dont even come close to these newer production Sovteks.  My current favorite driver tube is the Sylvania 6SL7WGT, although the later production (1960s) Sylvy 6SL7 tall bottle comes pretty close.  Speakers are Tekton Design 8.1s, which have been modified with a simple baffle step correction circuit and Planet_10 Hifi phase plugs to cure the characteristic beaming of larger full-range drivers.  The only styles of music Im not fond of with these speakers is metal and classical, but other stuff, such as electronica, classic rock, jazz, and bluegrass sound awesome.  My current DAC is a Grant Fidelity Tube-DAC09, which I bought on a whim in need of a DAC (Squeezebox Duet analog-out STINKS).  In the near future, Im going to build either a Twisted Pear Buffalo 2 or Twisted Pear Opus to go replace the Grant Fidelity unit.  A friend of mine will be building me Half-Chang cabinets for my FE207Es soon after this holiday season...cant wait for them! :D 

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #1,293 of 3,551
Excellent craftsmanship,I'll bet she's tonally sublime!If you get a chance how about a nice tube glow shot,after all what's Christmas without pretty lights!

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #1,294 of 3,551
Long time lurker (on and off) but just joined. Here's my humble system. Got most of the equipment 12-15 years ago. Not sure if system is high-end today but it probably was in 1995-7. Recent acquisition includes Wyred DAC2 & Onkyo ND S-1. Unlike my PC station, hadn't felt the need to add things/upgrade until recently. The Wyred and Onkyo were added as I'd like to make the system more flexible.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #1,295 of 3,551
Nothing fancy, but i'm extremely happy with my humble speaker set up that I put together just a short time ago.

Analog source is an Avid Volvere with SME 309 and Dynavector XX2-MK II Cart(the cart in this pic is a Nagaoka MP-500 which has been replaced since), Digital is an Ayon CD-2s. 

Amp is Wyred4sound (very very happy with the performance and price of their stuff!) and Phono Stage is RCM Audio's Sensor Prelude.

Speakers are Gurus QM60s. They are absolutely monsters in even small rooms! Works very well when placed near walls even!

Everything is isolated on TAOC platforms, which I'm a huge fan of in terms of bringing out the very best in my equipment.

Am still waiting for the head fi stuff to come in, which is my Headamp BHSE. Also am waiting for my modular upgrade for my Avid turntable to bring it up to the sequel SP status.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #1,298 of 3,551
hahaha
beyersmile.png

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #1,299 of 3,551
How do you like the Ayon CDP? I just ordered an Orion, their entry level integrated amp with KT88s. Excited. How is the name Ayon received in Europe? They are fairly new in the US and their reps are working hard trying to make an impression.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #1,300 of 3,551

How do you like the Ayon CDP? I just ordered an Orion, their entry level integrated amp with KT88s. Excited. How is the name Ayon received in Europe? They are fairly new in the US and their reps are working hard trying to make an impression.

I love the ayon cd2s, very warm and musical. Best of all it doubles as a dac too.

However with my cartridge upgrade,the competition between my avid and ayon got pushed even further apart.

I am still keeping it as i need a player to play my stuff otherwise not avalable on vinyl.

To cut things short, you will not regret getting an ayon. I've heard the triton and mecury and they are solid tube integrateds.The build quality is amazing.

Ayon is very wel received in europe.however i come from Singapore and the brand name is just as well known here.

Enjoy your orion!

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #1,301 of 3,551

Quote:

I love the ayon cd2s, very warm and musical. Best of all it doubles as a dac too.However with my cartridge upgrade,the competition between my avid and ayon got pushed even further apart.I am still keeping it as i need a player to play my stuff otherwise not avalable on vinyl.To cut things short, you will not regret getting an ayon. I've heard the triton and mecury and they are solid tube integrateds.The build quality is amazing.Ayon is very wel received in europe.however i come from Singapore and the brand name is just as well known here.Enjoy your orion!

Thanks, super_fied. Happy holidays.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #1,302 of 3,551
BadassBob,

badass, most certainly!

i first read about the Copper caps when building an EL84 SET guitar amp.  i've never tried one though.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,303 of 3,551
So many great setups!

BadassBob, your DIY amp looks fantastic! The speakers look really nice as well, what are those small cones around the centre-plug? Are they there because this is a full-range driver?

Super-fied, that's a great looking system! This CD player has to be one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I bet it sounds good as well.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #1,304 of 3,551

Quote:
Here are some photos of my system.  I recently added the Adona Corporation Signature Component Racks and Adona Corporation Reference Amplifier Stands.  Additionally, I added the Cerwin Vega CMX 212s: four of them to be exact.  Each 212 has two twelve inch electrically powered woofers.  I do love my bass sounds.  Enjoy the pics.

A lot of nice stuff there Scott. I bet you get crapload of bass with CVs, your poor poor neighbors.
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #1,305 of 3,551

Quote:
Here are some photos of my system.  I recently added the Adona Corporation Signature Component Racks and Adona Corporation Reference Amplifier Stands.  Additionally, I added the Cerwin Vega CMX 212s: four of them to be exact.  Each 212 has two twelve inch electrically powered woofers.  I do love my bass sounds.  Enjoy the pics.

The Blue lights from the McIntosh equipment exudes excellence. Anyone who that would make sick, is too young to know what it was like to be in the era of the greatest audio times in the world.
I have a McIntosh C-45 control center ( fancy name for pre-amp). When I saw it, I knew that it was made just for me because I have 2 separate 6 channel systems in my speaker set-up (Emm Labs CDSD and Esoteric DV-50). Who else makes equipment that will enable two 6 channel systems. I would have a pair of MC-501 monoblocks if it wasn't for the fact that I need the 6 channel. Kudos! 

Quote:
Analog source is an Avid Volvere with SME 309 and Dynavector XX2-MK II Cart(the cart in this pic is a Nagaoka MP-500 which has been replaced since), Digital is an Ayon CD-2s. 

The Avid was my second choice, but I went ahead with the VPI Aries II with JMW 10.5 and Benz Ruby 3 instead. It was a tough call, but sometimes, in the huddle with two minutes left, you have to make a decision, and stick with it. I don't think that anyone is a loser here 
smile.gif
I also have an Acoustic Signature Final Tool in the bedroom rig which was one of the best deals I've ever gotten. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Jerry Raskin of Needle Doctor and got the TT, a JMW 9 with a Lyra Helicon for $3500, and 2 weeks later, the turntable alone sold for $3K, the arm was $1700 and the Lyra cart was $3000. I not only robbed the bank, but he set up the cart for me (that's the beauty of the VPI arms). I think there's a "Wanted Dead or Alive" Poster up in his store after that deal. The Basis 2000 was also in the running.
The Final Tool runs on sewing thread as it's belt, and after 5 years, I haven't had to change it once. Imagine a 25 lb. platter being pulled to perfection by sewing thread. The motor is another crowning achievement. It takes whatever the wall puts out (between 90 and 130Volts, knocks it down to 24Vdc, creates a 24V oscillating DC sine wave, and then creates a perfect 117V AC waveform. Who thinks of these things? Probably people who can't handle changing a flat tire 
evil_smiley.gif
They are definitely from anther planet, but I sure am glad they're around in my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back