Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
May 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #1,726 of 3,551

Quote:
How? That product is marvelous

It's as stream-lined as a brick and the top reminds me of a cartoon duck shouting.  I would imagine it has excellent sound, but it looks awful.

May 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,727 of 3,551

Quote:
It's as stream-lined as a brick and the top reminds me of a cartoon duck shouting.  I would imagine it has excellent sound, but it looks awful.

+1
What he said.

May 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,729 of 3,551
What happened to your Tannoy Super Tweeters?

Quote:
In the past month my stress levels have become manageable again (thanks to a very cool new coworker) and I've made a couple good small-signal tube substitutions; thus, I've really been enjoying the music again (finally). 

I've finally been playing with my "new" Rogue Ares phono stage, though I bought it several months ago. It was a bit difficult to wean myself off of the warmth that the Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 was adding; a couple of tube swaps have gone a long ways towards mitigating the loss. The Ares has notably better resolution (especially up top) and bass impact, which is my motivation to get it worked in. Plus it finally gives me that "all tube" system; the Phono 1 is actually a hybrid that uses four 6922 tubes following a single pair of J-FETs. The Ares uses Cinemag step-up transformers, a pair of 12AX7, and a pair of 12AU7. 

Current pic with the all-Rogue electronics in place:
http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/1393580/width/1000/height/800

I removed the Ares' tube cage/wire since I think it looked way out of place in context of the substantially non-flimsy materials here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/1393979/width/1000/height/800

Inside of an Apollo monoblock with the tube cage on: 

http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/1393983/width/1000/height/800

It should be clear by now that I have no self control when it comes to audio gear:

http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/1393985/width/1000/height/800

Next up is a trial of KT120 tubes in place of the dozen EH KT90 currently in use. Also gonna get my Hera preamp upgraded to Hera II status, and I'll have some more vintage 12AX7/12AU7 on the way.

May 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,733 of 3,551

Quote:
Mulveling that is TRULY a beautiful rig.  Congrats.  Absolutely stunning.

Thanks man. I recently saw a pic of your vinyl rig on AK, and that LP-S of yours kinda beckons me to try one out for myself :D
Maybe a bit down the line; first I'll need a more modern medium-mass arm. Koetsu is my thing now (perfect for a heavy Japanese arm), but the Benz sound is fairly ingrained into my perception of vinyl as the Glider was my first & only cart for 2 years. Have since heard a Ref 3 and an M2 - they both have a lovely signature. Real curious about how far their current top model pushes the envelope. 

Quote:
^ X2, wow was a beautiful rig.
It probably sounds pretty good too 
wink_face.gif

Sometimes it's frustrating how something as small as a tube swap (and maybe a not-so-well-connecting phono cable) can make all the difference between a merely very nice sonic reproduction, and the truly immersive and involving experience which makes all the expenses and efforts worthwhile. That's a highly resolving system with 30 tubes, for you :p I've also had to take the "long-way 'round" figuring out that maybe triode mode isn't the better option (versus ultralinear) for these KT90 tubes, and that 12BH7 seem to make better drivers in these amps than 12AU7; then there's the usual hunting/killing various hums, speaker positioning & toe in, cartridge setup, etc. Figured out that maybe the high-end Ortofons aren't the ideal match in my current system for my current ears. Figured out that one tweeter had a slight ringing on certain notes (very rare and hard to track down though) and finally got it replaced (still have the "bad" one; it is rare and cool to see a full 2" inverted-dome metal tweeter!). Though I'm certainly not complaining about the current state of the sound :D

Quote:
I had to make this my iPod Touch wallpaper.. Little crop here, little stretch there.. Sorry, I'm not all that talented with Gimp software.

Well...cool! I've used Gimp for the occasional random task at work (far from what I do for a living), and I'm not very good at it myself, but it sure does a lot of cool stuff for free! The user-interface seems slightly awkward on OS X. PM me if you want the full-res version to avoid triple-scaling (1: On export from Picasa to 1024, 2: the head-fil upload coerces a downscale, 3: any additional scaling to fit the iPhone). 

Quote:
What happened to your Tannoy Super Tweeters?

I sold them a year ago to partially fund the amps. Never felt comfortable that I'd dialed them in right. Always felt the result was a bit more musical when I'd unhook them. Now, with the reel-to-reel tape deck that needed a treble boost - sure, then they were great! But with vinyl it seemed like way too much energy on top, and fiddling with the Kensington's treble energy/rolloff controls - in any position other than "Level" - always seems to kill the sound way too much. I'm still optimistic that when setup just right, the supertweeters could be so much more than a slight treble & detail boost. Might give them another shot sometime down the line. For now I'm glad I just simplified there, and upgraded the amps. 

May 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,735 of 3,551
May 5, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,736 of 3,551
Not quite as spectacular as some of the systems in here but it's my little slice of audio nirvana.

Sorry for the lens flare, the shadeless arch window made a decent picture difficult. 

Speaker path is: Computer > Meier StageDAC > Virtue Audio M451 > GR Research V-2s

May 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,737 of 3,551
Wow, those P Audio drivers look a lot like Tannoy's pepper-pot horn co-axials (1949 to present). The 2-inch tweeter diaphragm and the woofer cone itself acting as an extension of the horn; the dust cap over the compression driver and the look of the surround are especially reminiscent of the vintage Tannoy drivers. Did not know that there were other implementations of the design - interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back