Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Apr 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,697 of 3,551
Apr 14, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #1,698 of 3,551
ersepp - what is all of this? It's fabolous!

400x400px-fbaab778_P1040614.JPG

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #1,699 of 3,551
One thing you learn about guns is that you always want a symmetric muzzle so that the outward pressure is symmetric, thus the bullet goes straight.  A similar thing happens with sound waves.  I can't imagine those things protruding out near the speaker cone are a good thing....  Call me skeptical

Also, if they are made of foam, ok, but if that is wood, my goodness they must resonate!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,700 of 3,551
Those are great room treatments. I always thought that tweeters needed a smooth front edge. Over the years it seems every monitor company started to implement a smooth tweeter edge like Energy did in the early 1990s. I could not see how channels would  work. The high frequencies would go everywhere. But what do I know?.  They would impress the girlies!

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #1,701 of 3,551

Quote:
I always thought that tweeters needed a smooth front edge.

Well perhaps not necessairly smooth, but symmetric (and without things protruding into the sound field of the speaker.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #1,702 of 3,551
X2 Towert7

I think if we took all the speakers and turned them out side in they would work! With the drivers reversed.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #1,703 of 3,551
The Quietest Place on Earth - Orfield Labs
quietest-place-on-earth-orfield-labs-anechoic-chamber-1.jpg

Quote:
One thing you learn about guns is that you always want a symmetric muzzle so that the outward pressure is symmetric, thus the bullet goes straight.  A similar thing happens with sound waves.  I can't imagine those things protruding out near the speaker cone are a good thing....  Call me skeptical

Also, if they are made of foam, ok, but if that is wood, my goodness they must resonate!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,704 of 3,551
I have been in some anechoic chambers like that - they are very disorienting since you get no aural directional cues.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #1,705 of 3,551

Quote:
Shure has a room just like that in Chicago. Matt gave us a tour during the first Chi-Fi Uni meet.

Also, if you block the waves coming out of a speaker like that, how do you have dispersion?  Doesn't it collapse the centerfield and the side waves that create a stage-like effect?

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #1,706 of 3,551
Yeah, a Shure anechoic chamber is the one I have been in the most, since I worked there for quite a few years, but when I worked there Shure's HQ was still in Evanston.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #1,707 of 3,551
I think it was Evanston. I said Chicago because I was at the meet and was being chauffeured around, and it could have been Mexico for all I know. 
smile.gif

They confiscated our phones before going in, even though my Blackberry didn't have a camera (first World Edition). I especially liked the recording/jamming studio.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,708 of 3,551
I have a secondary education, but it is in the medical field. I have no education in sound technology like many of our fellow Head-Fiers do. This has allowed me to have an open mind here. The only things I know are from playing with home audio from the early seventies till now. I have some friends with some crazy systems which were really thought out and executed to the fullest extent.

One friend did it with home theater and another with two channel. I felt really lucky to experience these systems every time I heard them. Every time I heard them it was a great life experience. I do not have the funds to do it with speakers but was able to get a rough approximation with headphones. One thing that amazed me was that the systems I saw were original. They were not as original as the speakers we see here now but original none the less. So these guys used their instincts as well as research to come to an equipment blend and audio philosophy which resulted into a world class system. Yes there was microphone measurements done with one system. In many ways the process I could see was very scientific. Theories were made and then brought into system realities. Things were tested and in the process some stuff stayed and some stuff was removed. The source, as in the first part of the chain{ speakers being the last } was of utmost importance. Maybe we would call room treatments last as they come after speakers in the chain of sound. Could room treatments start at the point of dispersion? If something radically new is introduced it will look radically different. It must look like it never would work and challenge our understanding of right and wrong! That is what they thought about the first airplane.

One major aspect that we all could agree upon was luck. Luck in finding our way threw this quagmire of retail and emotion, sizzle and science. This is because there truly is a factor of luck if you are not cookie cutting a system together but formulating some thing from scratch. Room size, budget, musical taste all go into the mix. Luck is something that I was always taught was an aspect. How could that be? Something as scientific as these audio systems must come only directly from science. The reason I say this is nothing like these systems were ever created by man! These systems were world class and that good. Was there luck in that we put a man on the moon? It was an effort of science and testing and guessing, again because it had never been done before. There was always luck in the mix even with the use of hard nose science. At times we had failures as we all know.

So to get to the subject of what I am writing about here. This is a speaker that could work. It does not make sense to what we know. We can rest assured that speakers will have a different shape 100 years from now. Will our speakers look like these?  They laughed at every major new innovation because it challenged our perception of the norm. The whole stereo world is built on these norms. The truth is that things change very slow in audio even though it seems fast at times. I am sure that at times things that looked like they would not work were a new way to work………………better. Of course then there was also the ridiculous, and the awful ridiculous we spent money on. This is the trade we as humans have always made to pay for grand success. Sometimes stuff works and other times it was just a test. An informed risk based on prior success with imagination melted in.

One really crazy trend in audio was to acquire classic and expensive musical instruments and hang them in the sound field as to resonate harmonic golden frequencies. Maybe the only gold was in the hands of the seller who sold an instrument for music to someone who could only play music on a stereo system. If it is true that it’s placebo ……………………placebo is strong at times, we all know this. An inspection of musical instruments shows that all have sound reverberating off many different edges much like these questionable speakers. All places in nature have multiple reflecting/deflecting areas for ambiance. The thing I question the most is that I am not there to hear them. In the end it is really the sound that matters most, not how we arrived there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back