Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Mar 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #1,621 of 3,551
Mar 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,622 of 3,551
Here's my MR73.  Nothing special.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #1,624 of 3,551

Quote:
Here are a sweet pair of McIntosh Mc275 MkV amplifier running a full compliment of Gold Lion tubes.

I saw a couple of these in a second-hand store the other day.  A bit rich for my blood unfortunately, especially as I've never experienced listening with McIntosh gear.  I am thinking about a decent power amp though, along with some Harbeths.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #1,625 of 3,551
What do you mean by "nothing special".
I think this is one of the most wanted tuners out there. I remember when I had the chance to get on 4 or 5 years ago. I took a Klein und Hummel FM 2002 instead because I moved outside town and needed a tuner that gets even weak stations.

But the MR74/73 are all time greats:)

Regards Georg

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,627 of 3,551
Here's my McIntosh MR88 tuner just before I sold it.  This is quite an amazing tuner, but I didn't care for the looks of it once it was in my system.  The MR88 tuner performs all of its tuning using digital signal processing, and receives AM / FM / XM / HD radio, and has analog output, plus digital output to feed an external DAC if used in that manner.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,629 of 3,551

Quote:
Maybe "back in the day" it was worth having a nice FM tuner. With radio stations using compressed, poor quality source material now, what's the point?
Just wondering.

Todd.......Not all stations are broadcasting compressed signals, although I will agree with you that the largest majority do.  I am fortunate to be able to receive several stations with excellent quality signals.  One station in particular broadcasts a jazz program I enjoy listening to from the University of Florida in Gainesville late at night.  The signal is super clean, and their programming is excellent.

I may from the old school, and still remember enjoying underground FM radio on the likes of KSAN in San Francisco back in the late 60's, and good clean FM in Portland, Oregon on KINK.  I have always had a tuner in every system I ever assembled.  For me, a sound system without a tuner is incomplete. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,630 of 3,551
There is a public radio station here, WDCB, that plays 100% jazz and sounds GREAT.  Love listening to them.  And while I don't listen to it much, the Classical station in Chicago WFMT puts out a great signal.

Our classic rock station here is also somewhat judicious with the compression.  And they play a lot of stuff from vinyl still
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,631 of 3,551

Quote:
There is a public radio station here, WDCB, that plays 100% jazz and sounds GREAT.  Love listening to them.  And while I don't listen to it much, the Classical station in Chicago WFMT puts out a great signal.

Our classic rock station here is also somewhat judicious with the compression.  And they play a lot of stuff from vinyl still
biggrin.gif

Skylab.......That's exactly what I am talking about.  There are station owners and engineers that care about quality broadcasting, and when you find one it is always exciting.  I enjoy searching around the dial listen to what's out there.  I also enjoy listening to VHF, long wave, shortwave, and world band radios.  I routinely tune into the English news on Radio Havana, and listen to English news from Beijing, China, and other places around the globe.  Here's a photo of two of my radios.  I don't want to hi-jack the thread.  Worldband radio DXing is another whole subject.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,633 of 3,551

Quote:
Here's my MR73.  Nothing special.

(photos deleted - see above)

I know you must be kidding. I had to move, and so sold my own MR73. Where I am in a valley, with an indoor antenna, it's terrible for FM reception. But the MR73/74's that are well maintained and properly aligned, are something pretty special. I've owned two prime example of MR78's that couldn't touch this sonically... (the new owner is loving it :) I'm almost jealous - but I'm the one who gave it up. Meet Special...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back