Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,576 of 3,551

Quote:
I felt the pot needed a stir. I kid though.

[size=12pt]Stir away my good man, I got your back!!![/size]

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,577 of 3,551
Okay, you've got me in full nostalgia mode now.

Here is the legendary Trio L07D that I acquired in my early attempts to gain turntable high end-dom.

This was before over-the-top designs became common place. You had to try to lift it to understand. Made from some form of composite concrete resin, this was not for softies - and it ate Linn Sondeks for breakfast.

Against the high end trend at the time, this was direct drive. And it could power a fully loaded locomotive. Trouble was, it had a tiny design flaw whereby the servo occasionally went to sleep such that there was nothing to stop the heavy platter from going to infinite speed. Let me tell you brothers and sisters, that within 8.65 seconds, the earth started to tremble and I rushed to pull the plug out before it launched itself into outer space.

Once was enough and it went straight back to the dealer. Turntables in outer space is high end gone mad.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,579 of 3,551

Quote:
Okay, you've got me in full nostalgia mode now.

Here is the legendary Trio L07D that I acquired in my early attempts to gain turntable high end-dom.

This was before over-the-top designs became common place. You had to try to lift it to understand. Made from some form of composite concrete resin, this was not for softies - and it ate Linn Sondeks for breakfast.

Against the high end trend at the time, this was direct drive. And it could power a fully loaded locomotive. Trouble was, it had a tiny design flaw whereby the servo occasionally went to sleep such that there was nothing to stop the heavy platter from going to infinite speed. Let me tell you brothers and sisters, that within 8.65 seconds, the earth started to tremble and I rushed to pull out the plug out before it launched itself into outer space.

Once was enough and it went straight back to the dealer.

LOL

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,580 of 3,551
Very funny story.  I liked it.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,581 of 3,551
There is no doubt, that whatever you think about the sound, turntables are infinitely cooler and more fun as MACHINES than any digital player ever was, or will be.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,582 of 3,551
Digital gets the most play around here, although I still enjoy spinning vinyl.  My turntable is a Micro Seiki DD-40 with the MA-505 arm, and an Ortofon 2M Black phono cartridge.  The Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm is an engineering marvel that allows tracking force, anti-skate and vertical tracking angle adjustments on the fly.  I purchased the DD-40 new in 1980, and it is still as sweet and clean today as it was on day one.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,583 of 3,551
^ nice looking table. The ability to make those adjustments on the fly is huge! I've never experienced that luxury.

Love that record. I picked a copy up for $1 from a goodwill years ago. Been enjoying it ever since.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,584 of 3,551

Quote:
Digital gets the most play around here, although I still enjoy spinning vinyl.  My turntable is a Micro Seiki DD-40 with the MA-505 arm, and an Ortofon 2M Black phono cartridge.  The Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm is an engineering marvel that allows tracking force, anti-skate and vertical tracking angle adjustments on the fly.  I purchased the DD-40 new in 1980, and it is still as sweet and clean today as it was on day one.

Wow, I remember those, very exotic turntables and very coveted as well at the time. You have kept it beautifully!

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #1,585 of 3,551
Anything with horns that's recorded properly sound great on hardened black vaseline.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,586 of 3,551

Quote:
Wow, I remember those, very exotic turntables and very coveted as well at the time. You have kept it beautifully!

ianmedium.......Thank you.  The Micro Seiki turntable has been a joy to own and use.  Every time I begin to think I might want a new turntable, I play an album on the DD-40 and change my mind.  This turntable suits me just fine.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #1,587 of 3,551
Amazing that you have the PMC EB1i's too... How do they sound? 

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,588 of 3,551

Quote:
Amazing that you have the PMC EB1i's too... How do they sound? 

cn11.......I have had the PMC EB1i's for almost three years now, and absolutely love them.  They are able to reproduce music in a transparent and neutral fashion, while playing softly or as loud as you would care to play them.  They handle dynamics that are strikingly real at all volumes.  The sound stage is well produced, stable, and thoroughly involving, and the transmission line loaded cabinet produces strong, solid, low distortion bass output well below 30Hz.  Every day I look forward to listening to the PMC's, and that is the best measure of all.  I turn my system on about 10:00 AM, and shut it off about midnight.  Zero listener fatigue.  The speakers are amazing.  I don't see myself replacing them with anything.  I have auditioned many fine speakers, some costing over three times the EB1i's price, and have not been moved to consider moving to a different speaker.  I am very pleased with the PMC EB1i speakers.  I can highly recommend them to anyone considering a top quality speaker purchase.  I also think they are a very attractive speaker.  Mine are finished in a beautiful cherry veneer on all sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back