Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #6,706 of 10,933

Quote:
An externally powered hub has no power issues, but I agree that self powered hubs do take power values from a single port and split them through whatever number of ports the hub has.

I missed the, externally powered part. Sorry. lol

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #6,707 of 10,933

Quote:
I missed the, externally powered part. Sorry. lol

You know, another solution (that I think doesn't exist yet) would be to have hubs that are powered through batteries, with said batteries being rechargeable through USB when not in use.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #6,709 of 10,933
Really nice setup, but aren't those speakers sitting a bit too close to you?

Yeah it might look funny, but to be honest I only hear the separation between tweeter and woofer if I put my ear next to the speaker, right now they're good two feet away from my ears, and positioned in an even-sided triangle with my head, and they work surprisingly well for their relatively big frame! :)

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #6,710 of 10,933

Quote:
well, here's my set up for now. there is still some cabling and wire management to do, both with the computer and the audio set up. I finally got tired of standard computer audio, and had a bunch of old gear laying around in storage, so this is my "found" computer audio. the DAC i purchased here from floydfan33.

computer:

HAF32
AMD FX-6100 @ 4.55 Ghz
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
2 x 6970 (Gigabyte, MSI)
Corsair HX-850
XSPC 750 RX360 liquid cooling (distilled, DEX anti-freeze)
Koolance doodads

audio:

Matrix mini
NAD 2150
NAD 1020
Polk Audio RTA 11T
Sony MDR-V6

i hope to find i new set of cans soon... but these could be a lot worse. i have found the headphone amp in the 2150 to be most to my liking....
unfortunately my budget is nil for a little while, until i sell a bunch of computer stuff. it is all still so much better than the Bose Companions they are replacing...

steve

the inside of your computer is pretty good. nothing too too special. that..north bridge of phase capacitor fan is a bit....well out there and the tubes aren't very colorful..but look outside it and HOLY CRAP THAT IS NICE.

what happened to the 6970s? one's plastic is gone.. and it seems that heatsink isn't beefy?

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #6,711 of 10,933

Quote:
the inside of your computer is pretty good. nothing too too special. that..north bridge of phase capacitor fan is a bit....well out there and the tubes aren't very colorful..but look outside it and HOLY CRAP THAT IS NICE.

what happened to the 6970s? one's plastic is gone.. and it seems that heatsink isn't beefy?

Thanks!! this rig is much more of a practical set up than being entirely for looks.
well, the tubes aren't colorful because they are full of a mix of distilled water and DEX anti-freeze so they could be in sub-zero air without freezing for benching. so far i have had this cpu over 5.3 Ghz and a 1090T Thuban over 4.8 Ghz for benching reasons. now that summer has returned early to Iowa the lines will get cleaned and reworked.
the fan as well is for practical reasons... it is an Antec spot fan used actually for the VRM section, not the northbridge, as the Bulldozers can have quite a demand on the mos-fets when overclocked. since i am under liquid, i have no air moving over the VRM heatsink and that fan goes a long way for moving air.
as far as the 6970 goes... it is a Gigabyte non-reference design with their "after-market" cooling.... which, unfortunately, is not much better than the reference fans. i was going to get a waterblock for it, but will more likely now sell both cards and get a 7xxx series card.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #6,712 of 10,933

Quote:
Thanks!! this rig is much more of a practical set up than being entirely for looks.
well, the tubes aren't colorful because they are full of a mix of distilled water and DEX anti-freeze so they could be in sub-zero air without freezing for benching. so far i have had this cpu over 5.3 Ghz and a 1090T Thuban over 4.8 Ghz for benching reasons. now that summer has returned early to Iowa the lines will get cleaned and reworked.
the fan as well is for practical reasons... it is an Antec spot fan used actually for the VRM section, not the northbridge, as the Bulldozers can have quite a demand on the mos-fets when overclocked. since i am under liquid, i have no air moving over the VRM heatsink and that fan goes a long way for moving air.
as far as the 6970 goes... it is a Gigabyte non-reference design with their "after-market" cooling.... which, unfortunately, is not much better than the reference fans. i was going to get a waterblock for it, but will more likely now sell both cards and get a 7xxx series card.

haha yeah praticality is good. looks are ...well in computer enthusiasts world looks aren't a waste of money per say as the better looking one's are generally better performers too :)

wow nice clocks. sadly i can only get to 4.1GHz on my 965BE

The VRM section is kinda what i meant by the little phase capacitator thingy. the of was mitaken. i meant "or". the phase change. mine was 8+1 i think

It just looks weird as one has the plastics and one doesn't :)

wow you are quite serious about this stuff, i don't have nearly enough cash flow to do what you are doing :)

im waiting for this summer to get a new GPU. waiting to get more news on southern islands and kepler.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6,713 of 10,933

Quote:
haha yeah praticality is good. looks are ...well in computer enthusiasts world looks aren't a waste of money per say as the better looking one's are generally better performers too :)

wow nice clocks. sadly i can only get to 4.1GHz on my 965BE

The VRM section is kinda what i meant by the little phase capacitator thingy. the of was mitaken. i meant "or". the phase change. mine was 8+1 i think

It just looks weird as one has the plastics and one doesn't :)

wow you are quite serious about this stuff, i don't have nearly enough cash flow to do what you are doing :)

im waiting for this summer to get a new GPU. waiting to get more news on southern islands and kepler.

ha ha.... yeah.
you know, sometimes things just have to be ghetto. i had just moved everything over to the HAF from an Antec1200 case, and i started out trying SOOOO hard with cabling, and looks, and once i fired it up and started clocking, it just had to get cheapened by "needs". what can a guy do?
and i am semi-serious because i have joined a team at HWBot, so we bench for points... and pride.... had my 965 C-3 to just shy of 4.4 for benching.. i don't even game all that much, but Xfired 6970s will jack up benches. if i was super serious, i would have the Intel 2600K. but i have been AMD since the K-6,  and i am constantly selling stuff to fund new stuff. there is always a loss, but ... addictions can be that way.
the audio gear i bought in college... i got that NAD stuff, + a bunch of crap i no longer have for $150 in 1997.... and i got those Polks out of a pawn shop around the same time for $125. it's been laying around in storage for EVER and i am just happy to have real audio again. it has been too long.
perfect? no.... but now i have temporarily replaced my computer needs with a hunger for audio upgrades..... i have actually been looking at ads here and on Craigs list for the last couple of hours. i am absolutely convinced i will find the most perfect deal in amplification for the cheapest price by spending hours and hours on CL...

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #6,714 of 10,933

Quote:
ha ha.... yeah.
you know, sometimes things just have to be ghetto. i had just moved everything over to the HAF from an Antec1200 case, and i started out trying SOOOO hard with cabling, and looks, and once i fired it up and started clocking, it just had to get cheapened by "needs". what can a guy do?
and i am semi-serious because i have joined a team at HWBot, so we bench for points... and pride.... had my 965 C-3 to just shy of 4.4 for benching.. i don't even game all that much, but Xfired 6970s will jack up benches. if i was super serious, i would have the Intel 2600K. but i have been AMD since the K-6,  and i am constantly selling stuff to fund new stuff. there is always a loss, but ... addictions can be that way.
the audio gear i bought in college... i got that NAD stuff, + a bunch of crap i no longer have for $150 in 1997.... and i got those Polks out of a pawn shop around the same time for $125. it's been laying around in storage for EVER and i am just happy to have real audio again. it has been too long.
perfect? no.... but now i have temporarily replaced my computer needs with a hunger for audio upgrades..... i have actually been looking at ads here and on Craigs list for the last couple of hours. i am absolutely convinced i will find the most perfect deal in amplification for the cheapest price by spending hours and hours on CL...

wow. 965-CE onl to 4.4GHz? with that cooling or something else? the 965's must be hard to OC then...i thought it was just me

i might go with intel next time around. i don't have any bias'es, i buy what is best for my budget

yeah...audio has since taken over my budget and love :) i mean...hey look at me. i got 3.6K posts in 3 months

i gotta check out some pawn shops now :)

i did the same thing a while back...i didn't meet a single good audiophile and all the headphones sucked or were overpriced.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #6,715 of 10,933

Quote:
wow. 965-CE onl to 4.4GHz? with that cooling or something else? the 965's must be hard to OC then...i thought it was just me

i might go with intel next time around. i don't have any bias'es, i buy what is best for my budget

yeah...audio has since taken over my budget and love :) i mean...hey look at me. i got 3.6K posts in 3 months

i gotta check out some pawn shops now :)

i did the same thing a while back...i didn't meet a single good audiophile and all the headphones sucked or were overpriced.

the 965 was under a Prolimatech Megahalems (air) out on my porch in the winter air. the vcore was nearly 1.6V, so i needed the cold air. liquid cooling has been a very recent thing for me as i had to be convinced that putting water in a box full of electronics was a good idea.... and i am still not 100% on that...
blink.gif

holy crap. HOLY CRAP! 3600 posts in 3 months????  i have been on forums for a decade without those numbers. really, an accomplishment in and of itself!
i got my Matrix Mini here, and the seller was gold, so i just have to hold out hope. i need to start by replacing these Sony's.....

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #6,716 of 10,933

Quote:
the 965 was under a Prolimatech Megahalems (air) out on my porch in the winter air. the vcore was nearly 1.6V, so i needed the cold air. liquid cooling has been a very recent thing for me as i had to be convinced that putting water in a box full of electronics was a good idea.... and i am still not 100% on that...
blink.gif

holy crap. HOLY CRAP! 3600 posts in 3 months????  i have been on forums for a decade without those numbers. really, an accomplishment in and of itself!
i got my Matrix Mini here, and the seller was gold, so i just have to hold out hope. i need to start by replacing these Sony's.....

1.6V for 4.4GHz?..that mus be why im not getting high enough. i did 1.52V for 4.1GHz

yeah..i post a lot. 1K of these posts are in the member's lounge though.. but that still is a feat i guess :) 

the seller was gold?

yeah i noticed those sony's right away and wondered.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #6,717 of 10,933
I never understood the idea of colorful stuff in computer cases.  LEDs all over the case; LEDs on all the fans.  To me, it's a lot like spinner on wheels and chrome on cars - just awful.  But hey, a lot of people like that stuff...

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #6,718 of 10,933

Quote:
I never understood the idea of colorful stuff in computer cases.  LEDs all over the case; LEDs on all the fans.  To me, it's a lot like spinner on wheels and chrome on cars - just awful.  But hey, a lot of people like that stuff...

i like the stuff. yeah regular LED fans may not have anything to do with anything but many times the colorful stuff also = performance. PC enthusiast building and stuff is on geek culture where cool stuff sells :)

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #6,719 of 10,933

Quote:

i came from classic solid ATX cases. i never wanted a "full tower gaming case"... i hated plexi side windows and LED's. i always used cases like the Antec P180...then i got an Antec 900 for a friend's build. it kinda grew on me. plus, i work construction, so i get up at 4:30, and most of the year work until after dark. five days a week, all of my computing happened in a fairly dark environment as i don't really like bright overhead lights, and i would rather my screens were brighter than anything else in the room. so, i got used to the subtle glow from the blue LED's, went to a 1200 on my own rig, and now i am very used to the blue glow in the room when it is darker. its not like i stare at the case, but the room gains some ambiance.
the waterline will be just distilled water, but i will get better fittings.
and, FYI, i hate spinners, 22" rims, and chrome belongs on Harleys and mid 60's Impalas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back