Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #6,496 of 10,933
Sadly, this desk was the only desk I could find that was decently long and deep enough to house all the things you see on it.

(Though, if/when I upgrade to three monitors, I'll need a different place to put my consoles... /sigh.)

Still, not much more than I'd want - one giant-as-heck (sadly, not as giant as I was hoping) slab to put things on, and a drawer for me to store things in. Simple, clean, efficient.

-- Griffinhart

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #6,501 of 10,933
Quote:
--pics and stuff--

First of all, great setup there. Haven't looked at the detail album yet, but I'll definitely take a peek later.

Second, how's the Unicomp? Have you ever used a Cherry MX mechanical board? I've been very curious about other mechanical keyboards since getting my KBC Poker, which as a 60-40 board, has some distinct advantages and disadvantages when it comes to size.

Finally, I'm amazed to find more than one person in the same thread, in the same niche hobby, who are also interested in bullet hells. School and other games have been taking up much of my time of late, but I always come back to Touhou, Deathsmiles, etc. Recently I've been playing a lot of Beat Hazard, Ikaruga, and R-type as well.

As far as figures: I've never been big on the collecting impulse, so in general I can't really relate. That said, I do have several Revoltech models back at home, and I'm thinking of getting a few more.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #6,502 of 10,933
EnduraPro is god-tier, but then so are all of Unicomp's buckling spring keyboards. Can't speak for Cherry MX mechanicals, I've never used 'em - though a friend of mine just got a Das keyboard, since his motherboard doesn't have PS/2 ports, so he had to settle for USB.

Dude, you realize that there's a Touhou and Vocaloid thread on Head-fi, right?

-- Griffinhart

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #6,503 of 10,933
Quote:
EnduraPro is god-tier, but then so are all of Unicomp's buckling spring keyboards. Can't speak for Cherry MX mechanicals, I've never used 'em - though a friend of mine just got a Das keyboard, since his motherboard doesn't have PS/2 ports, so he had to settle for USB.

Dude, you realize that there's a Touhou and Vocaloid thread on Head-fi, right?

-- Griffinhart

I did, yeah. I just thought it was weird that one of the threads I had actually posted in, and was watching, by sheer coincidence, ended up hitting them as well. I haven't posted in too many threads here yet.

SHRUG.

As far as keyboards go, I've never tried any buckling spring. I have, however, used an old IBM rubber dome prior to getting my current board, and though it't no real comparison it was by far the best rubber dome board I'd ever used. Solid steel plate and everything.

I generally use USB because my motherboard (and a lot of modern motherboards for that matter) has some firmware issues. I've used PS/2 keyboards with it before, but USB is more convenient for my laptop use too (hence the 60-40 layout, it's ultraportable).

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #6,504 of 10,933
I dislike USB for keyboard input because of USB's nature as a polling interface, and it's saddening that PS/2 is getting phased out. Even worse that there hasn't really been any update for a hardware interrupt interface (though I guess that speaks to PS/2's robustness?).

-- Griffinhart

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #6,506 of 10,933
Nice, I notice your room corners are untreated, you may one to consider diffusion or absorption panels at your room corners, that will really help with imaging and clarity.
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #6,507 of 10,933
DoDonPachi has been on my plate again as of late. Death Smiles is a favorite though. They did a fantastic job with that game. CAVE's still got it. I feel like I'm one of the only danmaku fans not into Ikaruga though. Just couldn't enjoy it like I could Touhou or CAVE.

I was big into collecting for awhile (still have ~30 figures), but I have no room in my new place to display them all. My girlfriend doesn't mind, but with my growing CD and album collection they keep getting boxed up.

Quote:

Finally, I'm amazed to find more than one person in the same thread, in the same niche hobby, who are also interested in bullet hells. School and other games have been taking up much of my time of late, but I always come back to Touhou, Deathsmiles, etc. Recently I've been playing a lot of Beat Hazard, Ikaruga, and R-type as well.

As far as figures: I've never been big on the collecting impulse, so in general I can't really relate. That said, I do have several Revoltech models back at home, and I'm thinking of getting a few more.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #6,508 of 10,933

Quote:
as an enthusiast im soo soo enticed to just use Raid to combine and make both drives faster than to use raid mirroring. forgot if the first one i mentioned was Raid0 or Raid 1...im just too enticed to go for speed than mirroring.

Nothing in life is free.  RAID 0 will give you speed but it's easy to corrupt data.  This is why it's usually used in conjunction with RAID 1 (RAID 0+1).  This way when the RAID 0 array corrupts the mirrored info on the RAID 1 array can rebuild it.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #6,510 of 10,933
can you run truecrypt on iso?  if you can just make an image of the drive and then encrypt it.  upload the encrypted image.

Quote:

I'm way too paranoid to use something so opaque like that.

Are there any services that give you something like a virtual drive you can backup to yourself so I could encrypt the the virtual drive with TrueCrypt and know what was going on with the encryption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back