Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #6,181 of 10,933

Quote:
I've known this for a long time, but never actually had a reason to replace it. But I think I'll go ahead and get it now, they're like, 30 dollars. Much easier price to swallow than our favorite hobbies
wink.gif

Time for you to research mechanical keyboards.  Try one and it will blow your mind!

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #6,182 of 10,933
Feb 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #6,183 of 10,933
Time for you to research mechanical keyboards.  Try one and it will blow your mind!

+1

It's incredible how much of an upgrade a mechanical keyboard is.
Only downside is that when I type on my laptop everybody stares at me awkwardly because I tend to press the keys too hard -__-

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #6,184 of 10,933

Quote:
+1
It's incredible how much of an upgrade a mechanical keyboard is.
Only downside is that when I type on my laptop everybody stares at me awkwardly because I tend to press the keys too hard -__-

Depends what kind of switches you use.  Brown switch is not clicky at all at least compared to blue switches.  I like my current brown switch KB over my old one (Black Widow Ultimate).

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #6,185 of 10,933
Depends what kind of switches you use.  Brown switch is not clicky at all at least compared to blue switches.  I like my current brown switch KB over my old one (Black Widow Ultimate).

That's not what I meant. I'm used to typing on my Black Widow, so when I sometimes type on my laptop which has an incredibly sensitive rubber dome keyboard people stare at me because I press the keys too hard.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #6,186 of 10,933

Quote:
Lots of great setups on here... Time for me to add mine to the collection....nothing fancy, but its my main rig and I like it....

Early 2008 iMac (2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2, WD Black 1TB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD2800 XT video)
WD Blue 500GB 2.5" drive in notebook housing (under screen)
4x 1TB HDD (Seagate & WD) hdd on Airport Extreme USB connection (not in picture, under desk)
Optical TOSlink to Zero DAC/Amp (left, bottom)
RCA to Darkvoice THA332 (left, top)
Magicwand tying Bluetooth Mac keyboard and Magic Trackpad together (love that!)
Macessity Lowkey Stand w/ USB 2.0 hub in front
Mix of FLAC, ALAC, 320MP3 run either through iTunes w/ BitPerfect or Decibel (depending in format)
Cans in pic - DT770 Pro 80, Senn HD650

Nice and neat!

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #6,188 of 10,933
Is that an Ikea desk? Keyboard aside, setup looks nice. 

It is! The Galant. My PC tower hangs off to the left side, on the outside of the desk. They're pretty customize able, which is what sealed the deal for me.

what monitor stands are those? ive been looking for some short ones to use on a desktop, but all i can find are floorstanding ones

They're these stands: (They also come in 10inch, and 12inch)

http://www.speakerstandsonline.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=WT0206

Any ergonomic mechanical keybaords? Like the one I currently have?

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #6,189 of 10,933

Quote:
That's not what I meant. I'm used to typing on my Black Widow, so when I sometimes type on my laptop which has an incredibly sensitive rubber dome keyboard people stare at me because I press the keys too hard.

Well I still stand by what I meant.  The Black Widow requires a lot of actuation force so you are used to pressing down pretty hard just to get the key to go down.  So when you use cheap rubber dome keys you are typing hard.  If you are typing correctly with a mechanical keyboard, you would only be pressing down about half way in order to register a key.  Brown switch is a lot easier to press down than blue switch (same as Black Widow), so you won't be pressing so hard on rubber domes.

In hindsight, I do regret getting a Black Widow Ultimate as it a very meh keyboard.  Isn't built all that well as the feet aren't that grippy, plus the material is a bit cheap.  I also dislike the blue switches as they are a bit hard to press down and are very loud.  If you ever try a Filco Majestouch-2 with brown switch, you will fall in love with the ways it types.  Super plain keyboard with almost no extra features but it is built so well and types amazing.  My keyboard (Ducky Shine 9008S) is exactly the same as the Filco but has backlight and mediakeys for the same price.

Give other switches a try; it will blow your mind!

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #6,190 of 10,933

Quote:

From what I found on another forum:

Kinesis Advantage (cherry MX brown, red)
Truly Ergonomic (cherry MX brown, blue, red)
Maltron 3D (cherry MX black)
uTron (topre)

I have not personally looked those up but I guess those are options.  I never saw the point of having an ergonomic keyboard as straight KBs are pretty comfy.  If you are willing to change to straight keys, you have more options and probably better options too.  Filco, DAS, Ducky just to name a few.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #6,191 of 10,933

Well I still stand by what I meant.  The Black Widow requires a lot of actuation force so you are used to pressing down pretty hard just to get the key to go down.  So when you use cheap rubber dome keys you are typing hard.  If you are typing correctly with a mechanical keyboard, you would only be pressing down about half way in order to register a key.  Brown switch is a lot easier to press down than blue switch (same as Black Widow), so you won't be pressing so hard on rubber domes.

In hindsight, I do regret getting a Black Widow Ultimate as it a very meh keyboard.  Isn't built all that well as the feet aren't that grippy, plus the material is a bit cheap.  I also dislike the blue switches as they are a bit hard to press down and are very loud.  If you ever try a Filco Majestouch-2 with brown switch, you will fall in love with the ways it types.  Super plain keyboard with almost no extra features but it is built so well and types amazing.  My keyboard (Ducky Shine 9008S) is exactly the same as the Filco but has backlight and mediakeys for the same price.

Give other switches a try; it will blow your mind!
[/quote]

I might try a MX Brown one someday, but currently my wallet has more important thing to worry about. The Black Widow is at already a huge step up from rubber dome keyboards.
Besides, the large actuation force and sound don't really matter to me.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #6,192 of 10,933
Which is the loudest switch for mechanical keyboards? I love the click clack and I want to annoy people on the internet via my always enabled mic. :3

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #6,193 of 10,933
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #6,194 of 10,933

Quote:

Head: MacBook Pro (2011) --> Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 --> Shure SRH 840
Room:        "                      -->                "                  -->  Technics SU-700 Amp --> Dali Concept 2 Speakers

I applaud you, sir. Another Focusrite owner! Props also for the HL2 poster :3

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6,195 of 10,933

Quote:
It is! The Galant. My PC tower hangs off to the left side, on the outside of the desk. They're pretty customize able, which is what sealed the deal for me.
They're these stands: (They also come in 10inch, and 12inch)
http://www.speakerstandsonline.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=WT0206

Haha, I thought so! Surprised I recognize it so well; I was looking at getting one for myself a couple years back, but then a local army guy got shipped overseas and sold me this really nice glass desk for less than the Galant would've been (and it's also longer and more sturdy).

Now if only my ****ty bookshelf speakers were 1/10th as good as your monitors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back