Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Dec 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #5,852 of 10,933
I can't honestly take someone seriously that posts their power supply requirements from a Thermaltake calculator. Again, throw money at the problem, don't do it intelligently, is what I'm getting out of this. You're honestly worried about an outage as well? Wouldn't it have been smarter to build two separate systems then? What if your motherboard goes down, as I've seen many SR2's do?

Those, and many more reasons are why this doesn't make sense to me. Honestly though, it is a BAD system, I won't take that from you. Then again, I would DD a Bugatti Veyron if I had the money, so I guess I'm crazy too. Good luck with your system.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #5,854 of 10,933
Look, I put that calculator out there to give you some context around numbers, as I couldn't understand how you thought a 1200w power supply was sufficient. I am not saying I used that calculator when I did my calculations. You seem more interested in picking a fight than having a dialogue about a problem... Based on statements you've made, you lack credibility IMO. You mention all of the SR-2 builds you've seen, yet you didn't know that no one has overclocked one past 4.6, much less 5ghz? You say that a 1200watt PSU is capable of powering the components I've listed, yet you don't enumerate how you arrived at that conclusion? 

Just because things don't make sense to you doesn't mean that they don't make sense to others... You are making snap judgements based on limited information, and I am basing this particular judgement based on the fact that I can demonstrably prove that statements you have made are false.

Quote:
I can't honestly take someone seriously that posts their power supply requirements from a Thermaltake calculator. Again, throw money at the problem, don't do it intelligently, is what I'm getting out of this. You're honestly worried about an outage as well? Wouldn't it have been smarter to build two separate systems then? What if your motherboard goes down, as I've seen many SR2's do?

Those, and many more reasons are why this doesn't make sense to me. Honestly though, it is a BAD system, I won't take that from you. Then again, I would DD a Bugatti Veyron if I had the money, so I guess I'm crazy too. Good luck with your system.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #5,855 of 10,933
Dec 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #5,856 of 10,933
why did I see no improvement with adding an SSD up from a WD 320gb hdd? Why does ti still take me about a minute to get to the login screen? PM me for more info

Quote:
Great questions both! Laughed when I read them... Believe it or not, in usual day to day running, where I am running a normal profile (as opposed to an overclocked one), she hovers at around 28-32db, which at 3 feet away is pretty quiet - there are 8 banks of four fans each, but I only have 4 banks running at less than 40% usually. The little air purifier on the left side of the first picture is actually louder, when it kicks on. There is enough passive cooling where I can run with no fans on for close to 45 minutes before the temps rise up above 40 degrees celsius.

When running in extreme mode, with all 8 banks at full tilt, it is closer to 60-64db... I only run this way when gaming, with headphones on ... the biggest problem then is actually not noise, but heat. My office is fairly smallish, and it is amazing how much heat gets dumped out of this build!

As far as weight goes, it is ridiculously heavy, and awkward to carry... I can only manage a few steps at a time, and I consider myself fairly strong and athletic. I thought I was going to throw my back out picking it up the first time! I'd have to guess it is close to 80-100 pounds. I have casters for it, but will tackle that another day...

If you guys ever need advice on components, builds, and stuff, just drop me a note... always happy to help where I can...

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #5,857 of 10,933
depends on your ssd, some are slower, some are faster. Generally the difference between SSD and HDD is pretty significant, maybe try pulling up some more memory intensive programs such as photoshop, games, etc... These were the programs that I saw the most change, other than that, everything is much smoother, no lags or stalls. Maybe someone else might know the really reason.

Quote:
why did I see no improvement with adding an SSD up from a WD 320gb hdd? Why does ti still take me about a minute to get to the login screen? PM me for more info

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #5,858 of 10,933

If your including POST time and all that then the difference wont be as big as you expect. The difference between standard HDDs and SSDs on boot time should be roughly 10--30 seconds, and thats only on the actual loading of the OS. However i agree with eclipes, large programs like photoshop and other games should load a good amount faster depending on the drives. 
Quote:

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #5,859 of 10,933
The biggest change I noticed with my ssd was the win 7 splash screen. The little spinny logo would only go around twice or so then my desktop would just appear and be ready to roll. This is with a Crucial C300.

If you aren't satisfied with your time try using a program like Soluto to look at your programs that load on boot. It analyzes your time and which program contributes how much to your overall time.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5,862 of 10,933
a6cd89c9-2d0a-6a26.jpg

a6cd89c9-2d21-25cf.jpg

CPU: i5 2500k
CPU HEATSINK: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
VIDEO CARD: MSI N570GTX TWIN FROZR III
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
MEMORY: Mushkin 8GB 2x4GB 1600
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
CASE: Corsair 600T White

TOTAL: $1200

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #5,865 of 10,933

Quote:
Look, I put that calculator out there to give you some context around numbers, as I couldn't understand how you thought a 1200w power supply was sufficient. I am not saying I used that calculator when I did my calculations. You seem more interested in picking a fight than having a dialogue about a problem... Based on statements you've made, you lack credibility IMO. You mention all of the SR-2 builds you've seen, yet you didn't know that no one has overclocked one past 4.6, much less 5ghz? You say that a 1200watt PSU is capable of powering the components I've listed, yet you don't enumerate how you arrived at that conclusion? 

Just because things don't make sense to you doesn't mean that they don't make sense to others... You are making snap judgements based on limited information, and I am basing this particular judgement based on the fact that I can demonstrably prove that statements you have made are false.

Really? I can run my system off of a 850w Corsair HX850, which is one of the most recommended psu's for this setup. This will pull about 700w from the wall, at 80% efficiency equals a 560w pull from the psu. That 1200 watt unit you have is made to output 1200w continuously at 50 degrees celsius. So you really think that one extra gpu, cpu, etc are going to pull anywhere near an extra 600w? Do you run this system at the absolute max, over long periods of time? You and I both know that there is most likely no realistic way to max out all cores of those cpu's and gpu's, without going to some program like OCCT's power supply test, or something equal. Have you ever tried that?

As far as the o/c statement, I never said anything else about it, so you are coming to conclusions based on nothing really. I don't care what speed the cpu's can reach. It's like saying, that Bugatti Veyron better hit 250mph, because it costs 1-2 million. Get it, or is that concept too much?

I will just drop it, as I don't want to interfere with the thread any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back