Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Dec 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #5,836 of 10,933

Quote:

[/Snip][/Snip][/Snip]

- Case Labs TH-10
- eVGA SR-2 w/ Dual Xeon x5690
- 2 x Corsair 1250AX
- 48 gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
- 4 x 2 tb Storage (Raid 10)
- 1 x 128 gb Corsair Force GT
- 3 x eVGA GTX 580 (watercooled)
- Asus STX DX
- 2 x 480 Rads w/ Push/Pull fans
- 16 Gelid Fans
- 8 Yate Loon Fans
- 8 Triebwerk Fans
- Single loop with dual pumps in serial configuration
- 3 x 24" Asus LED Monitors

So I saw you like overkill. So you put some overkill in your overkill so you can overkill while you overkill...

But seriously, I wish I had the money to have a system like that. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #5,837 of 10,933
wow intense... but I like it 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

- Case Labs TH-10
- 2 x Corsair 1250AX
- Asus STX DX
- 16 Gelid Fans
- 8 Yate Loon Fans
- 8 Triebwerk Fans

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #5,841 of 10,933

Quote:

- Case Labs TH-10
- 2 x Corsair 1250AX
- Asus STX DX
- 16 Gelid Fans
- 8 Yate Loon Fans
- 8 Triebwerk Fans

I'm a Mac, but that's awesome!

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #5,843 of 10,933
Thanks for the props guys! Always nice to have your work appreciated... 8) She was built for work mostly, but was also a labor of love that took the better part of 5 weeks...

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #5,844 of 10,933

Great questions both! Laughed when I read them... Believe it or not, in usual day to day running, where I am running a normal profile (as opposed to an overclocked one), she hovers at around 28-32db, which at 3 feet away is pretty quiet - there are 8 banks of four fans each, but I only have 4 banks running at less than 40% usually. The little air purifier on the left side of the first picture is actually louder, when it kicks on. There is enough passive cooling where I can run with no fans on for close to 45 minutes before the temps rise up above 40 degrees celsius.

When running in extreme mode, with all 8 banks at full tilt, it is closer to 60-64db... I only run this way when gaming, with headphones on ... the biggest problem then is actually not noise, but heat. My office is fairly smallish, and it is amazing how much heat gets dumped out of this build!

As far as weight goes, it is ridiculously heavy, and awkward to carry... I can only manage a few steps at a time, and I consider myself fairly strong and athletic. I thought I was going to throw my back out picking it up the first time! I'd have to guess it is close to 80-100 pounds. I have casters for it, but will tackle that another day...

If you guys ever need advice on components, builds, and stuff, just drop me a note... always happy to help where I can...

Quote:
@garetjax1 - Two quick questions: 1. What's the db level of that monster with all those fans? 2. How much would you guess that case, with all it's muscle, weighs?

Rad set-up though.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #5,847 of 10,933

Quote:
- Case Labs TH-10
- 2 x Corsair 1250AX
- Asus STX DX
- 16 Gelid Fans
- 8 Yate Loon Fans
- 8 Triebwerk Fans

Edit: Retracted my statement, as I didn't see your last post. Overkill is right, to the point where it doesn't make sense. Why two power supplies? Why not go with 30" monitors? No Gentle Typhoons? I could go on.

What do you have those cpu's oc'd to? I would hope they are in the 5.0+ range with that cooling setup.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #5,848 of 10,933
I put his power requirements at around 1200w not counting an OC.. I think the other 1250 can be justified, in spite of the fact that he COULD have gone with two 800s etc. But, with a rig like that, I would have done the same thing just because I can.

Also, I dont think the 2 480s are that extreme given the dual xeons and tri sli. I run a 360 and 240 for regular sli and a i7 930. But I would hope he has a nice OC.

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #5,850 of 10,933
Sorry you don't think it makes sense... That seems like a bold statement to make from my standpoint!

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

Think about all of the things that need to be powered:
- 3 x gtx 580
- 2 x 5690 hexacore cpu
- 2 x pump (55w each)
- 1 x pump controller card
- 1 x 6-channel fan controller @ 30w per channel
- 1 x 5-channel fan controller @ 60w per channel (each 200cfm triebwerk fan requires almost 15w! There are 8)
- 12 x dimm
- 4 x hard drives
- 1 x flash drive (w/ room for more)
- 32 x fan
- 1 x sound card

And, that's just off the top of my head, and doesn't include overclocking 3 video cards, and two cpus...

If you think one 1200w power supply can run all that, well, I don't know what to say...

Aside from power considerations, another reason for dual power supplies is redundancy... everything is effectively doubled: two cpus, two psus, two pumps. If one of each goes down, the system can still run until a replacement is in place... keep in mind that an outage for me equals lost revenue.

30" monitors - waiting on the next gen that will hopefully include IPS and LED... 
Gentle Typhoons - the 1850 rpm ones which are considered the best fan for static pressure and low noise weren't available in bulk from the vendor I went with for most of my parts when I built the system , but did look around for them... (newegg for main components, frozen cpu for additional stuff) - just checked again and they are still out of stock. Also wasn't a big fan from an aesthetic standpoint, so didn't really try to scour the earth for them.

Overclocking - overclocking two cpus is orders of magnitude more difficult than just doing one - you are essentially OC'ing each cpu and are limited by the lower of the two. The system has only been up for about a month and I have been pretty swamped so I haven't had a chance to do extensive OC'ing and torture testing but I am stable at 4.3ghz... I could disable one cpu, and some memory, and easily hit higher numbers, but I need massive parallelism over higher clock speeds, otherwise I would have gone with a i7-x3960. To date I don't know of anyone that has OC'd a SR-2 build on air/water to higher than 4.6ghz, and the person who achieved that actually works for eVGA! My info on this may be a little out of date but not by more than a month or two...

Quote:
Edit: Retracted my statement, as I didn't see your last post. Overkill is right, to the point where it doesn't make sense. Why two power supplies? Why not go with 30" monitors? No Gentle Typhoons? I could go on.

What do you have those cpu's oc'd to? I would hope they are in the 5.0+ range with that cooling setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back