Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Dec 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #5,881 of 10,948

Quote:
??? can u stop acting ignorant and read the original post by the thread starter and subsequent posts.....

everyone is talkin about their computer audio rig and plus its in the category of computer audio. I think i have made my point.

Quote:
Well, thought it might be a good idea for us all to post pictures of our computer rigs! Numerous threads have been created for portable rigs, home rigs - now its computer audio's turn!

I use my rig for my audio. In fact I have posted my entire computer audio set up in this thread many times before. I was just posting an update of my case to see if people liked the change. Also, to get you off my back once and for all, you can see my Furutech GT2 USB cable which is attached to my USB isolator which I haven't posted before. I moved on from my Auzentech Prelude years ago. Sorry if you think not having a sound card means it's not computer audio. Also my music is on all those hard drives which is the most important part of the rig since without music I don't have anything to listen to.

Also in geek terms, Computer Rig, refers to the tower and whats inside of it.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rig #2 on the list...

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #5,883 of 10,948

Quote:
yeh well not in audiophile terms, whats inside doesnt exist. They go as far as sound card and thats it.

People using soundcards... are not audiophiles...

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #5,884 of 10,948
easy guys... lets keep this thread clean. This thread has inspired many people including myself in different simple to intense setups. The last thing we would want to see is a fight between a computer rig vs audio rig. I WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURESS!!!
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #5,886 of 10,948
All I did was post a pic of my rig. Out of nowhere he/she came in and made a big deal about how I wasn't supposed to be posting the stuff I did... I'm not going to sit there and let someone actually derail the thread by making people unsure of whether or not they should be posting.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5,887 of 10,948

Quote:
People using soundcards... are not audiophiles...

I don't really consider myself an audiophile for a number of reasons, but I've always been of the notion that you don't need an enthusiast's wallet to have an enthusiast's mindset. Thus, if we interpret "audiophile" as "audio enthusiast" instead of "someone who throws a lot of money at audio equipment", to me it's about getting the best possible audio quality for the money one is willing to spend.

And frankly, I'm skeptical that the external audio DACs out there can match, let alone outperform, a sound card on the tier of the X-Fi Titanium HD or the Xonar Essence STX within their respective price ranges. I'm sure you can get further improvements with external DACs, but by that point, you're not spending $125-175, but $300-500 minimum, more likely $1,000 (maybe even more).

Of course, it depends on what kind of audio you're aiming for, too. Another possible interpretation of "audiophile" is "someone who wants to be true to the source and hear it as the artist intended".

Pre-recorded music is the most common choice for that, of course...but I'm so obsessed with gaming in general that, if my wallet allowed it, I would certainly collect old DOS-era sound cards and Roland MT-32 synths and other such gear just to make those games sound as they intended. Since there's some on-the-fly synthesis going on, it's no longer just a matter of SNR and THD and other such figures. Even beyond that era, there's the numerous PC games released when 3D sound acceleration, A3D, EAX, etc. were a big deal, and they simply won't let you enable the extra sound effects without the right hardware, at which point you're no longer being true to the source and hearing it as it was intended.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5,889 of 10,948
Okay I thought this went without saying... If you have money to spend and you are still using a sound card you are not an audiophile. If you don't have money it's obviously a different story. Sound Card are not high end whatsoever.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5,890 of 10,948

Quote:
All I did was post a pic of my rig. Out of nowhere he/she came in and made a big deal about how I wasn't supposed to be posting the stuff I did... I'm not going to sit there and let someone actually derail the thread by making people unsure of whether or not they should be posting.

since when did this turn into a personal thing, i was never set out to ruin you lol. 
All it was, was i went to post a pic of my audio rig and then i saw lots of people posting pics of their pc and hardware. I thought hmm.... and was dissapointed that the thread turned the other way.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5,891 of 10,948
I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my sound card comment.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #5,892 of 10,948

Quote:

I don't really consider myself an audiophile for a number of reasons, but I've always been of the notion that you don't need an enthusiast's wallet to have an enthusiast's mindset. Thus, if we interpret "audiophile" as "audio enthusiast" instead of "someone who throws a lot of money at audio equipment", to me it's about getting the best possible audio quality for the money one is willing to spend.

And frankly, I'm skeptical that the external audio DACs out there can match, let alone outperform, a sound card on the tier of the X-Fi Titanium HD or the Xonar Essence STX within their respective price ranges. I'm sure you can get further improvements with external DACs, but by that point, you're not spending $125-175, but $300-500 minimum, more likely $1,000 (maybe even more).

Of course, it depends on what kind of audio you're aiming for, too. Another possible interpretation of "audiophile" is "someone who wants to be true to the source and hear it as the artist intended".

Pre-recorded music is the most common choice for that, of course...but I'm so obsessed with gaming in general that, if my wallet allowed it, I would certainly collect old DOS-era sound cards and Roland MT-32 synths and other such gear just to make those games sound as they intended. Since there's some on-the-fly synthesis going on, it's no longer just a matter of SNR and THD and other such figures. Even beyond that era, there's the numerous PC games released when 3D sound acceleration, A3D, EAX, etc. were a big deal, and they simply won't let you enable the extra sound effects without the right hardware, at which point you're no longer being true to the source and hearing it as it was intended.

I agree.

For a while, I only used my Grado 325is. Then I wanted more, and purchased a Asus Essence ST. I then started to really hate the fatigue of the Grado's, and bought the HD650's. I've now decided to send the sound card back, and trade it out for a Nufore HDP. At some point though, everyone has to justify their purchase, and spending more just doesn't make sense. To some people that can be $100, to others, many many times that.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #5,893 of 10,948

Quote:
since when did this turn into a personal thing, i was never set out to ruin you lol. 
All it was, was i went to post a pic of my audio rig and then i saw lots of people posting pics of their pc and hardware. I thought hmm.... and was dissapointed that the thread turned the other way.

I hope this makes you less disappointed*. I didn't want to post the whole thing again until I got my Dell U3011, or my other 2 Dell U2410s... I haven't made up my mind about which I should buy.

And since I'm a Christmas person here is the tree I bought to freshen my 10'x10' room.

Quote:
I agree.

For a while, I only used my Grado 325is. Then I wanted more, and purchased a Asus Essence ST. I then started to really hate the fatigue of the Grado's, and bought the HD650's. I've now decided to send the sound card back, and trade it out for a Nufore HDP. At some point though, everyone has to justify their purchase, and spending more just doesn't make sense. To some people that can be $100, to others, many many times that.

Have you ever heard a high end system? It is not a small difference. I'm 20 years old with limited funds and I feel justified in my purchases (all was bought with my own money).

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #5,894 of 10,948

Quote:
I hope this makes you less disappointed*. I didn't want to post the whole thing again until I got my Dell U3011, or my other 2 Dell U2410s... I haven't made up my mind about which I should buy.

And since I'm a Christmas person here is the tree I bought to freshen my 10'x10' room.

Have you ever heard a high end system? It is not a small difference. I'm 20 years old with limited funds and I feel justified in my purchases (all was bought with my own money).

lol right..

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #5,895 of 10,948

Quote:

Is that a HK990 hiding under the desk? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back