Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #9,226 of 10,950
  I think I'd be classified as a digital hoarder... I have a server PC next to my main gaming PC with 4 X 3tb drives in raid 5 for mass storage of things like camera raws and exported jpegs, music, movies, TV series, etc, and even then my gaming PC has 2 X 3tb drives in a windows storage pool for local storage of games and other stuff. Being in Australia and one of the lucky few to have fast cable internet I could theoretically stream all those movies and TV series yes... But the convenience of my whole family being able to share my catalogue of content over our home network just can't be beat. And yes, I could delete games I don't play and keep a lean catalogue of games on my 2 X 120gb SSD raid 0 array that I use for my OS, but it's a nice feeling to have all those games ready to play. Not sure what cloud based solution I'd use to replace the need for a dump drive for my camera raws though.

Don't forget the gigabit internet you need to realistically upload and work on all those raws.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #9,227 of 10,950
I just finished an update to my home audio/video system with the addition of new monitor speakers from Monoprice. Only wish my monitor stand was a couple inches taller then I could have pushed the speakers back a bit. Not much room to work *on* the desk, but heck, it sounds great!

The computer is under the desk with an access switch and a FreeNAS host in another room for storage.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #9,228 of 10,950
Well here is my desk.
I am currently deciding if I can live with the speakers on their sides. If it works I might move up to a triple monitor setup.
The big question is if I really want to spend the money on 2 more 120hz monitors and the 2 780ti's it would take to run them!
Or just 1 780ti and stay with one monitor and pocket 1k.

Emotiva Airmotiv 4's, SB Omni external USB sound card. Senn Momentum On Ears with an Antlion Mod Mic.
Comp is an i7 950, 12gb ram, 2- 250 gb ssd's and 2 tb's on platters. 2-gtx 670's sli.
Sub is a Triska Sub I made from the Parts Express Project Showcase.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #9,229 of 10,950
Well what you want are those tweets aiming at or at your ear level. If they are ported in the rear they may sound better pulled away from the wall a bit more too. Personally i don't like my monitors on their sides as I prefer to keep the tweets higher and I have not had any better experiences with speakers on their sides. Standing upright is best.

But I do think your desk/setup is clean and nice looking!

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #9,230 of 10,950
I'm new here and still learning the ropes so I just have a link to my rig on Flickr.  It consists of a desktop computer that is hidden behind the console plugged into a Fiio E17 or E18 (sometimes) as a Dac.  The dac feeds a Cambridge audio system or a vintage Sony or Marantz 2220 amp where I plug in my Grado 225i or AKG K550's.  The system also feeds some other vintage amps and just for fun sometimes a Craftsmen tube amp to warm the sound a little.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/niley/sets/72157646454242757/

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #9,231 of 10,950
  Well here is my desk.
I am currently deciding if I can live with the speakers on their sides. If it works I might move up to a triple monitor setup.
The big question is if I really want to spend the money on 2 more 120hz monitors and the 2 780ti's it would take to run them!

Emotiva Airmotiv 4's, SB Omni external USB sound card. Senn Momentum On Ears with an Antlion Mod Mic.
Comp is an i7 950, 12gb ram, 2- 250 gb ssd's and 2 tb's on platters. 2-gtx 670's sli.

I like it!

Now, why did I not think to put my speakers sideways? Then they would have fit under the monitors. Rrr.

Tell me more about the subwoofer. I pretty happy with my monitors but the bass is lacking.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #9,232 of 10,950

I like it!

Now, why did I not think to put my speakers sideways? Then they would have fit under the monitors. Rrr.

Tell me more about the subwoofer. I pretty happy with my monitors but the bass is lacking.

It is a sub that is featured on the Parts Express site.

http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-home-subwoofer-projects-the-triska-sub

I built it about 5 years ago and it works well for my computer. Costs about 120.00 for all the components (wood and elbow grease not included) .
It is NOT going to rock the house but does good for its intended use. It is definitely not a one note sub which is always a good thing.

The only thing I changed from the plans is the paint I used. Rustoleum Hammered Paint (copper color)  which makes it stand out a bit from the usual black finish on most subs.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #9,233 of 10,950
Once I have my shelf in place above my desk, 
I'll be doing the same with my Fostex but will be angling them downwards instead.
Haha I also am in need of a Sub for my monitors, The PM0.4n's are fantastic but they lack in the bass department too.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #9,234 of 10,950

It is a sub that is featured on the Parts Express site.

http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-home-subwoofer-projects-the-triska-sub

I built it about 5 years ago and it works well for my computer. Costs about 120.00 for all the components (wood and elbow grease not included) .
It is NOT going to rock the house but does good for its intended use. It is definitely not a one note sub which is always a good thing.

The only thing I changed from the plans is the paint I used. Rustoleum Hammered Paint (copper color)  which makes it stand out a bit from the usual black finish on most subs.

Nice. Looks like a project I may add to my to do list. Currently the Dayton 8" and 10" subs cost $20 above or below, but it would be more fun to build it.

Thank you sealman.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #9,235 of 10,950
I have built 9 or 10 DIY subs over the last 15 years. I made several smaller ones and a lot of large ones using 15's & 12's. Out of all of those the Triska was by far the most enjoyable and satisfying build that I have done to date!

As always ymmv : )

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #9,236 of 10,950
Mounting monitors not designed to be used horizontally might disturb the midrange, at least so it reads in my speakers manual.

I have tried both on my speakers and didn't notice a big difference. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #9,237 of 10,950

I got an upgrade :), replaced my little Panasonic amp/sub with a pioneer vsx 523 650 watt amp + Yamaha Yst-sw90 subwoofer
It is all connected: Gaming PC --> Asus u7 --> Pioneer vsx 523 --> m50x (when plugged in)

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #9,238 of 10,950
I envy some of these setups. Makes me want to make some upgrades to my own 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #9,239 of 10,950

When I had triple monitors I tried the Airmotiv 4s on their sides and on the outside of the displays. Could never get them to sound right with what was happening on the screens. I downsized to a single screen and to a single 290x from two 780s. My wallet is much happier. I'm putting that Triska sub on my to-build list.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #9,240 of 10,950
Haven't posted pictures here in a long while. Quite a bit has changed and unfortunately I sold off most of my headphone gear for studio gear, however this new setup is fantastic. Soon though, I will sell my DJ rig and be replacing my Soundcrafstsmen preamp with a Valhalla 2 + SYS, as well as adding an optical Modi (eventually coax Bifrost). Below you will see a more detailed description of my gear:

Here's an overall shot. Behind the monitors are floorstanding corner bass traps. The yellow is a Project Debut Carbon turntable with acrylic platter and record weight upgrades. Right now my only headphones are (again unfortunately perhaps): my own "Coolpants" T50RP mod (similar in signature to mad dogs from my observations, however with slightly tighter bass, slightly lesser bass extension, and much much brighter (too bright with most amps, especially weaker ones) and not quite enough mids) and my trusty Sennheiser HD25-1 ii (inc cable upgrade and velour pads) 

Here we have the beautiful tubes of my Manley LAB 100 series monoblocks, feeding my JBL 4312A monitors. They are 100 watts of tube power in tetrode, 50 in triode. Night and day difference compared to the 200 watt solid-state Soundcraftsmen that was powering them before. These monitors LOVE power!

Furman M-8x^2 studio power conditioner, Focusrite Saffire pro 40 audio interface, vintage Soundcraftsmen DX4000 preamp. The preamp has lots of features, but it simply is too noisy and has wayyy too much gain, therefore I will be replacing it with a Valhalla 2 chained to a SYS. The interface has a nice neutral DAC, however it is quite dry and the analog section is fairly noisy during certain operations (Minecraft in particular, haha no idea why)... I will be using it as an SPDIF transport later on with a Schiit DAC.

My computer mid-tower looms in the background (Fractal Design R4), while my Yamaha HS10W subwoofer takes the front.

One of my two JBL 4312A vintage control monitors.

The other JBL, a corner of my wall carpet covering the window, DJM-600 mixer (to be sold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back