Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #9,211 of 10,933

My m50x's came today, They are better then I had imagined, perfect for the music I listen to :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #9,212 of 10,933

What do you need to store? No one stores anything anymore. It's all streaming. You can get any movie and/or song in the highest quality streaming.  I am using maybe 200 gigs on my desktop.  Also doesn't hurt having a 50/25 connection.

And for an SSD there really is no need. Outside of loading up windows 20 seconds faster they are useless. If you need games or programs to load up faster then you'd use Ramdisk. No exaggeration its 10x faster then an SSD.

Who uses storage? Is that a real question? I use tons of storage. music, photos, movies, games, hell I have 4TB just for storage in my main PC. Streaming off the web to watch and listen is fine but having it right on my HDD is even better. And streaming in my house doesn't work as well as running off a hard-wire.

I figure I can't be the only one that uses storage.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #9,213 of 10,933

Who uses storage? Is that a real question? I use tons of storage. music, photos, movies, games, hell I have 4TB just for storage in my main PC. Streaming off the web to watch and listen is fine but having it right on my HDD is even better. And streaming in my house doesn't work as well as running off a hard-wire.

I figure I can't be the only one that uses storage.

You aren't the only one. I also have a 4TB drive, and hope to build a big old NAS one day. Streaming, and being in Cali you probably understand, is utterly impossible. Internet around here is junk.

@Folex think you are making too many assumptions as to what others can afford/acquire, or what their needs are. Speaking for myself, the internet that I can get my hands on, is utter junk (as stated before), and does not support streaming very well. So setting up a NAS and stuffing as many HDDs as I can possible get into it, is the best solution. But it comes down to cost, a NAS an acquaintance of mine built... 12x4TB WD Reds, his pile of parts and a Norco 24 bay thing, cost him around five thousand dollars. That's a ton of money, and one heck of an investment. While there are cheaper solutions, they may not be as useful, and may end up costing more than intended. At the same time, in my main rig, I have no use for Ramdisk , but an SSD came in quite a bit of use for boot times and loading times of some intensive/large programs. 

Just my own experiences~

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #9,214 of 10,933
Sorry, another storage junky here...

Right now I only have around 3tb spread out over 4 drives, but it's nowhere near enough.
My internet is shocking so internal streaming or straight from drive is my only viable option,
Especially for my home cinema needs.
I would say my collection is 50/50 music to video.

I want to build a NAS but believe they're pretty pricey?! :/

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #9,215 of 10,933
Sorry, another storage junky here...

Right now I only have around 3tb spread out over 4 drives, but it's nowhere near enough.
My internet is shocking so internal streaming or straight from drive is my only viable option,
Especially for my home cinema needs.
I would say my collection is 50/50 music to video.

I want to build a NAS but believe they're pretty pricey?! :/

Not really. You can buy a NAS for like $200-300 on the cheap end. 

Edit: I have no experience with this one but its rated 4 1/2 stars out of 5. Its an empty 2 bay NAS for $163

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #9,216 of 10,933
Anyway getting back on topic....

I don't have it yet but waiting on delivery of a Sony Vaio VGX-TP1 Media Centre.

Picked it up for a pinch on eBay as I wanted a windows based machine to incorperate into my home cinema system.

Once it's installed I will be able to stream from both of my macs and this.

Actually I'm still undecided wether I'll connect the TP1 via hdmi or stream via my network.
I'll also be upgrading the ram so I can run W8.

One thing I'm interested in, Is if I can upgrade the drive to the bluray from the newer model......

I'll keep you all posted :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #9,217 of 10,933
Some people also prefer to have the movie/album etc on their own drives.
If the net goes down for whatever reason, I'm happy I have many many hours of enjoyable material
To watch or listen to without the need for an internet connection.

And I'm sure TheOtus knows how to use google. No need to be rude.
wink.gif

I've had drives fail more then my internet. My net goes down maybe once every 2 year and within my house I have atleast 1 hdd go down within that time.   For the longest time I had a backup Hdd with all my important stuff. I went to my aunt's house to install some programs since her internet at the time was terrible. She knocked it over and there went all my images, movies and music. So since then I've been doing everything streaming. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #9,218 of 10,933
Anyway getting back on topic....

I don't have it yet but waiting on delivery of a Sony Vaio VGX-TP1 Media Centre.

Picked it up for a pinch on eBay as I wanted a windows based machine to incorperate into my home cinema system.

Once it's installed I will be able to stream from both of my macs and this.

Actually I'm still undecided wether I'll connect the TP1 via hdmi or stream via my network.
I'll also be upgrading the ram so I can run W8.

One thing I'm interested in, Is if I can upgrade the drive to the bluray from the newer model......

I'll keep you all posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you want 2 separate machines, 1 windows and 1 mac or would it have been easier to have both mac and windows on 1 device ?

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #9,219 of 10,933
I learned a very long time ago to store my drives in a place where they can breath but not be accidentally knocked over or have stuff spilt on them.
Having a child does that lol.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #9,220 of 10,933
Yes I could dual boot if I wanted and I do on my iMac at my parents house, but ild rather have mine home here seperate. Plus boot camp doesn't support windows 8 yet as far I know.
My other reason is I have a collection of sony portable gear that is not recognised on a mac, same goes for the sony sonic stage software.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #9,221 of 10,933
Yes I could dual boot if I wanted and I do on my iMac at my parents house, but ild rather have mine home here seperate. Plus boot camp doesn't support windows 8 yet as far I know.
My other reason is I have a collection of sony portable gear that is not recognised on a mac, same goes for the sony sonic stage software.

Boot camp is riddled with problems. I forgot the program I used on my client's computer but it works flawless with windows 8. He can do his artsy stuff on mac and then when he wants to work can log onto windows and get down to business.  When you say the sony gear isn't recognized do you mean on the mac os or the mac computer running windows ?

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #9,222 of 10,933

Boot camp is riddled with problems. I forgot the program I used on my client's computer but it works flawless with windows 8. He can do his artsy stuff on mac and then when he wants to work can log onto windows and get down to business.  When you say the sony gear isn't recognized do you mean on the mac os or the mac computer running windows ?

Bootcamp works for me flawlessly. 
Sony portable devices aren't picked up by mac running OS X, Not sure about a mac running windows.
Anyway, I love my macs but wanted to toy around with a media based windows pc that had a small form factor. 
Being a Big Sony fan helped with the decision quite a lot LOL.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #9,223 of 10,933
I used to watch 4 movies per week for 3 years and I never had an issue finding the video online @ 1080p. So my guess is you aren't very good at using google. 

Edit: And music.. don't even get me started. There is hundreds if not thousands of websites for streaming music at high quality. 

totally nonsense!

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #9,224 of 10,933
I think I'd be classified as a digital hoarder... I have a server PC next to my main gaming PC with 4 X 3tb drives in raid 5 for mass storage of things like camera raws and exported jpegs, music, movies, TV series, etc, and even then my gaming PC has 2 X 3tb drives in a windows storage pool for local storage of games and other stuff. Being in Australia and one of the lucky few to have fast cable internet I could theoretically stream all those movies and TV series yes... But the convenience of my whole family being able to share my catalogue of content over our home network just can't be beat. And yes, I could delete games I don't play and keep a lean catalogue of games on my 2 X 120gb SSD raid 0 array that I use for my OS, but it's a nice feeling to have all those games ready to play. Not sure what cloud based solution I'd use to replace the need for a dump drive for my camera raws though.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #9,225 of 10,933
I think I'd be classified as a digital hoarder... I have a server PC next to my main gaming PC with 4 X 3tb drives in raid 5 for mass storage of things like camera raws and exported jpegs, music, movies, TV series, etc, and even then my gaming PC has 2 X 3tb drives in a windows storage pool for local storage of games and other stuff. Being in Australia and one of the lucky few to have fast cable internet I could theoretically stream all those movies and TV series yes... But the convenience of my whole family being able to share my catalogue of content over our home network just can't be beat. And yes, I could delete games I don't play and keep a lean catalogue of games on my 2 X 120gb SSD raid 0 array that I use for my OS, but it's a nice feeling to have all those games ready to play. Not sure what cloud based solution I'd use to replace the need for a dump drive for my camera raws though.

And this makes total sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back