Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
May 7, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #9,047 of 10,933
Multiple monitors will serve people differently.  I my desktop computer when I'm home I have 3 monitors.  I play a lot of different kinds of games, but when playing an MMORPG whatever it may be, I'll have the game up on my middle monitor, netflix/videos up on the right one, and chat/internet tabs on the left one.  

May 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #9,048 of 10,933
Oh ok.. great. Thanks.. but won't u need to exit the mmorpg in order to click on the messaging app you're using..

Won't it be a buzzkill if you play a game stretched in 3 displays.. you'll have a visible split in the actual game screen.. I'm guessing that configuration would work well for driving simulators..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

May 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #9,049 of 10,933
Oh ok.. great. Thanks.. but won't u need to exit the mmorpg in order to click on the messaging app you're using..

Won't it be a buzzkill if you play a game stretched in 3 displays.. you'll have a visible split in the actual game screen.. I'm guessing that configuration would work well for driving simulators..

That's one of the reasons a lot of people don't use multiple screens. But I've gotten so used to the bars that I don't even notice them, which is hard for some people to understand. The brain is capable of getting used to more than you think though. :)

I used to have a single 23", but I watch A LOT of movies and shows on netflix from my bed, and 23" was much too small, especially since I don't like to wear my glasses in bed and I'm really nearsighted.

So I sold the 23" and bought a 39". It was GREAT for watching movies, but up close 1920x1080 looks HORRIBLE stretched across 39". I lived with it for a couple months.

When I finally got tired of it that's when I started looking into multimonitor setups. After getting used to a 39" it would have been impossible for me to go back to a single 23" or even 27". Now this setup gives me the same amount of screen size, with a much bigger resolution, so up close games look much better and movies still look great. For desktop of course, it's nice to be able to have multiple windows open, and portrait is great for forums, coding, word documents.

Now I just need a 39" 4K monitor to replace this setup.

May 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #9,050 of 10,933

I play all MMOs in borderless windowed mode, so when I alt tab to whatever else I'm doing, it stays on the screen so I can still see what's going on.  If I have to wait for something/some one in the game, I just alt tab and do whatever till I notice they are ready. 

May 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #9,051 of 10,933
Wow, I never knew the PC community here was so strong, these are some ridiculously beautiful setups. I'll just leave this here (not shown are my two Polk R150's while I try to find an amp/T-amp/pre-amp that is compact and won't clutter my rig up) 

PS. This is an old picture I had lying around, I velcroed all the cables out of sight and made the keyboard light up properly :)

May 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #9,052 of 10,933
  Wow, I never knew the PC community here was so strong, these are some ridiculously beautiful setups. I'll just leave this here (not shown are my two Polk R150's while I try to find an amp/T-amp/pre-amp that is compact and won't clutter my rig up) 

PS. This is an old picture I had lying around, I velcroed all the cables out of sight and made the keyboard light up properly :)

Gotta love that thermaltake case. It's even got a headphone holder 
smily_headphones1.gif
 - that's a thumbs up in my books.
Looking at what you've got inside the case, I guess you're not looking to upgrade much in the near future 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #9,053 of 10,933

Microsoft WMO ftw!
My PC isn't really worth a bigger portion of this photo :p

May 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #9,054 of 10,933
Monitors need better positioning but just moved in so yeh....
Technics, Arcam and TEAC seperates underneath inside unit.
New DAC/Amp on its way soon as the DACMagic is now in the living room on main hifi duties.

May 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #9,055 of 10,933

Driving sims is a common use.  As for buzzkill while gaming, for racing I think it's just nice for that peripheral vision, and there are some monitors out these days with very thin bezels.  As for first person shooters, most of the action is likely in the middle so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I don't think it's as common for gaming as to push that resolution(1920x3 by 1080) takes a lot of power.  Another would be video editing, with all the things you might like to have open involving a video it can help to split them onto different screens.  I believe some Photographers might use it too while editing images.  A lot of just general work that revolves around PC's seems to be a reason for a multiple monitor setup.  It could help for school work instead of having to do the split windows which may not always provide enough real estate in the windows to work properly.  I don't know the use for it, but programmers might use it, System admins might too.  It's just good for general productivity, it's always nice to have more screen real estate.  Personally I've done what you had hooking up a tv for movies, and I might do it again soon. 

Edit: These are just thoughts, beyond having a TV hooked up(had to face the other way to see it), I've never done a multi monitor setup.  Though the video editing bit was something from a youtuber who did a how to for building a video editing rig, and spoke about how he uses his monitors for editing.

May 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #9,056 of 10,933
  So, here is my setup.

Borrowed one of those tiny Cherry 60% keyboards of a friend. (Low profile Cherry ML switches, more or less PCB mounted MX Browns cut in half.)

This how it actually looks when I'm not trying to keep stuff neat. This picture also shows my main keyboard, the marvelous IBM Model M.

And here is the main machine. It's based around an (now a days) ancient Intel core2quad Q8200, it gets the job done for now but it goes sweat quite a bit under a (for me) normal workload.

If anyone want more info/specs on anything just ask and I'll post.

Hey just wondering what model you have for the Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
I'm gonna be investing in a pair very soon.
What are your thoughts on them?

May 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #9,057 of 10,933

Hey just wondering what model you have for the Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
I'm gonna be investing in a pair very soon.
What are your thoughts on them?

Those are the DM685. 
Crisp highs, and they can give you a real rumble if bi-wired or with some good jumpers. They preform really well in a nearfield setup like mine but when you put them on some solid stands and get some power behind them, Man do they preform. Had them pitted against a pair of $3000 Amphions and they were very close though the setup we tried them with was more suited for the Amphions. I haven't tried the newer version the DM685 S2 though they should preform just as good an maybe a little better. Though you can't go wrong with the first revision and you may even get them for a steal since the newer version is out.

May 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #9,060 of 10,933
I recently changed my PC case from the 650D to the Define R4. In the UK the fractal is around £40 cheaper than the corsair. 
Yet I find the r4 to be of a much better build, and generally quieter (with aftermarket Noctua fans) and running cooler. 

The main issue with the 650D is that it only has one 200mm intake. The stock 200mm fan I found to be slightly lacking, and aftermarket 200mm are few and far between, and quality of which I was not entirely happy with. 

The r4 has a slightly smaller form than the corsair, but it fits more fans, and the position of the top fan vents means that the top radiator is placed slightly forward to the motherboard - meaning push-pull on the H100i is possible - Unlike in the 650D.

All in all, very happy with the r4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back