Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Sep 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #5,236 of 10,933

Quote:
Love your flight sim tools.  I love my trackerIR5.  I have the same issues with the flight sticks.  You could benefot from an IKEA office desk setup.  they are sturdy and cheap and great quality.  www.ikea.com.   Check them out.  Oh and I dissagree.  New LCD monitors are now at 2ms.  as fast as crts nowadays and they are cheap and they are bigger! 

The TrackIR is a godsend for flight simulation. Flying without it feels like I have my head on a neck brace, and I'd have to waste a hat switch just to manage the view.

As for the "2ms LCD" figures, you'll find that if you head to the lagom.nl response time test page, response time can vary wildly depending on what's transitioning to what else, and monitor manufacturers tend to quote the best figures.

Quote:
I love monitor stats. Fun fact: They all lie. All of them. Every. Last. One. refresh rate and response time are both measured differently from model to model, not just brand to brand. There is no ISO defined standard for how you measure, what you measure, any of it. Because of that, a 5 ms screen can actually be faster and clearer than a 2 ms screen. Fun times.

The truth is an IPS display is going to be equal or higher quality to all but the very best CRTs that were available at their height. However, they have none of the tradeoffs of having a CRT (such as the cancer, power consumption and insane amounts of space required).

Oh, and another reason the gaming excuse is invalid is this: How many gamers do you think still place with CRTs? How many gaming rig companies still even offer CRTs?

Yes, there is indeed an awful lot of deception in the monitor industry. It's rather irritating. (Two words sum it all up more than most: "dynamic contrast".)

IPS panels might still lose out on contrast and input lag (NOT response time), and they still have that whole native resolution problem inherent to pretty much every display tech that isn't a CRT. (I still play a lot of older games that use varying resolutions that most certainly don't match the native resolutions of current LCDs.) Then there's higher refresh rates, which make everything noticeably smoother in motion. (You can currently only go higher than 60 Hz on TN LCDs, which ends up resulting in poor vertical viewing angles. As a TrackIR user, no thanks.)

Oh, and there's another monitor you didn't see that's in my bedroom. I use it for gaming on my old consoles in glorious 240p/480i RGB. Such signals look utterly, utterly dreadful on HDTVs without a dedicated upscaler like an XRGB-3 (and sometimes have a lot of input lag on top of that), and those upscalers tend to be incredibly expensive.

Still, many people will trade those off for better color reproduction (at least on the professional-grade monitors), no need to fiddle around with geometry and convergence, and lots more resolution, and that's their choice. CRTs just happen to work out better for me, especially with a very limited budget.

Quote:
You forget generating a chirping tone that gives me an unbearable headache.
And CRT's are pretty dated as far as I know. I remember there was a girl playing on a CRT in a ventrilo channel once. Everyone suddenly stopped what they were doing due in sheer awe; 'Who the hell still has a bubble monitor? That's ancient!'.
And that was almost two years ago, if I remember correctly.

And it's true that specs don't say much, but isn't that the same with audio equipment? There are somethings we can consider like having IPS of TN in monitors, or having a good DAC chip over a bad one.
Other than that I think we are quite used to just reading what other people have to say about it before buying (reading reviews and forum posts). And if we're lucky we get a chance to audition it before buying.

I don't really hear anything out of this particular CRT monitor when it's running. Lucky me, I guess.

Newer doesn't always mean better. I'd take this 21" behemoth of a CRT over all the cheap TN LCDs that plague the market. (IPS, though...I'd consider it somewhat. Don't know about PVA.) If anyone can't accept that I or anyone else would still use a CRT (and this isn't a little bulbous shadow mask monitor, either, but one of the last aperture-grille models), then they can put up or shut up. (Or donate me a 30" 2560x1600 IPS LCD monitor in working order.)

As for opinions on products, a big issue is that they're subjective by nature. For an example I can readily recall here on Head-Fi and some other forums, people debate what makes a good gaming headphone. For as many people that rave about the AD700 for that, some others will shoot it down because of the anemic bass, and yet some other people will say that it actually has competent bass with a bit of bass boost/EQ. Then there's the few opposing opinions on whether or not the best gaming headphones are electrostatics. It would help immensely if people could audition the headphones that have their interest before buying, but most people simply don't have immediate access to them anywhere in their area, leaving them no choice but to plunk down the cash first and gamble. (It's happened to me with both the AD700s and the Lambdas, and I think it paid off both times, but that's just me.)

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #5,237 of 10,933
Looks very similar to my Gateway laptop (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-nv7901u/4505-3121_7-34093839.html). With those specs, what a score for $500!

Quote:
Nope, it's a cheapo MSI "laptop" (Open box version of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152252 that Newegg sold for $500). Just needed something with a fast CPU for some projects.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #5,240 of 10,933

Quote:
I think those speakers are too small for that desk....

I made them fit
cool.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #5,242 of 10,933
Cool :) Yeah big speakers for that desk but if it's convenient enough for you and sounds good to you/you enjoy it, then more power to ya! I don't see a tear in the right tweeter but I sure do see some damage in the middle-right of the right subwoofer.

Quote:

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #5,243 of 10,933
Quote:
Is that a tear I see in the tweeter of the right hand speaker?

Its the woofer (top- tweeter, middle- mid range, bottom- woofer)

Quote:
Cool :) Yeah big speakers for that desk but if it's convenient enough for you and sounds good to you/you enjoy it, then more power to ya! I don't see a tear in the right tweeter but I sure do see some damage in the middle-right of the right subwoofer.

Yup, thats right. The right woofer, i need to change that out. And possibly the right mid range because the terminal is broken.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5,244 of 10,933

Quote:
Its the woofer (top- tweeter, middle- mid range, bottom- woofer)

Yup, thats right. The right woofer, i need to change that out. And possibly the right mid range because the terminal is broken.

You may not need to replace the entire woofer. Find a speaker repair shop near you and get an estimate for having it re-coned. If the voice coil isn't blown, re-coning will probably be cheaper than replacing the entire speaker.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #5,245 of 10,933

Quote:
You may not need to replace the entire woofer. Find a speaker repair shop near you and get an estimate for having it re-coned. If the voice coil isn't blown, re-coning will probably be cheaper than replacing the entire speaker.

I totally forgot, thats why it wouldn't come out
cool.gif
Ill have a JBL expert refoam them since i have to take the ripped one out.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #5,246 of 10,933
As it stands now:

foobar2k >> WASAPI >> Headroom Total Bithead
>>Lepai LP-2020A+ (Needs to be upgraded...) >> Polk R10
>> ATH-M50

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5,248 of 10,933

Quote:
@youngandgray,

How are you liking the BitHead with the M50's? I just have the uDAC for now and am starting to think anything else would be an upgrade.

I like it a lot. Although, do take that for what it's worth given that I haven't had any other headphone/DAC/amp experience other than using my iPod and computer without one. I would say that using the Bithead from my computer does trump my iPod through the LO to the Bithead (both lossless files). It's definitely a solid part of my setup that I'm going to keep the same until I end up with significantly better/ harder to drive cans.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #5,249 of 10,933
I really want a new desk and oh so much more stuff after seeing all of everybody on head-fi's setups. I have spent the past few days going through all 350 pages of this forum lol

Now I know why my 6MP Sanyo digital camera was 75$ back in 2007.. I apologize for the horrible quality in the photos.

Here is my setup right now,

My PC Thermaltake Sopranors Case Corsair TX650W PSU Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58 1366 Motherboard i7 930 @ 3.99GHZ @ 1.25V w/ Megahalems headstink 6GB DDR3 1600 @ 1500ish Radeon 5830 @ 900/1300 2x500GB WD Drives & USB 3.0 2TB Seagate drive. I have a 22' Acer x223w LCD and a 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770HD monitor

My headphones 2x Image X10i IEM's (Long story behind why I have 2 pairs) Altec Lansing Backbeat Plus (surprisingly good) Klipsch Image one on ear headphones (a little bass heavy but after burn in and with an equalizer they can sound excellent!)

Yes I do have Bose companion 2.0 speakers, I purchased them before I joined head-fi and before I educated myself a little bit.I wish I could go back and get some swans or some other speakers. They however don't sound too bad to be honest, with some genres of music they aren't that great but with others they are enjoyable to listen to. They sure sound better then my logitech x540's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back