Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 31, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #5,207 of 10,933
It blows my mind that people would pay $40 for something that you could easily create with items around the house, yet I see them in almost all the desktop setups here. Oh head-fi...

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #5,208 of 10,933
Really? You have dense foam pads specifically engineered to absorb vibrations around the house? And they're cut at various angles to allow you to adjust from 30-60deg angle?

Must be nice to have that just lying around the house.

Oh wait..

Quote:
It blows my mind that people would pay $40 for something that you could easily create with items around the house, yet I see them in almost all the desktop setups here. Oh head-fi...

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #5,209 of 10,933
There are a multitude of items that will offer the same CLD characteristics.

Seriously, a couple of stacked books with something squishy between them and the speaker, or the speaker and the desk, will do just as good a job at coupling vibrations and gives you more flexibility on angling.

Buying foam blocks "specifically engineered" is tantamount to buying copper wire for excessive cash that is similarly "specifically engineered".

Quote:
Really? You have dense foam pads specifically engineered to absorb vibrations around the house? And they're cut at various angles to allow you to adjust from 30-60deg angle?

Must be nice to have that just lying around the house.

Oh wait..

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #5,210 of 10,933

Quote:
There are a multitude of items that will offer the same CLD characteristics.

Seriously, a couple of stacked books with something squishy between them and the speaker, or the speaker and the desk, will do just as good a job at coupling vibrations and gives you more flexibility on angling.

Buying foam blocks "specifically engineered" is tantamount to buying copper wire for excessive cash that is similarly "specifically engineered".

There are known specific advantages to vibration damping and speaker angle when placed on reflective surfaces. Yes, you can do the same thing cheaper, but buying the blocks isn't the same thing as buying cables and wire where the differences are generally not verifiable. I mean you're on an audiophile site where there are people who pay hundreds of dollars for cables. Spending $40 on speaker pads that achieve a goal and look decent (at least better than stacked books, and yes aesthetic appeal does have some value to people) isn't that big of a deal.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #5,212 of 10,933

There are known specific advantages to vibration damping and speaker angle when placed on reflective surfaces. Yes, you can do the same thing cheaper, but buying the blocks isn't the same thing as buying cables and wire where the differences are generally not verifiable. I mean you're on an audiophile site where there are people who pay hundreds of dollars for cables. Spending $40 on speaker pads that achieve a goal and look decent (at least better than stacked books, and yes aesthetic appeal does have some value to people) isn't that big of a deal.

True, but I would argue that it's better to go to your local hardware store and buy a block of foam, and simply cut it yourself. Could save a lot of money.
Then again, I don't know if it's something most hardware stores stock. However I do believe that there are cheaper alternatives with equivalent performance, just might take some time and effort getting them.
Don't forget that DIY is rewarding and fun.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #5,213 of 10,933

Quote:
True, but I would argue that it's better to go to your local hardware store and buy a block of foam, and simply cut it yourself. Could save a lot of money.
Then again, I don't know if it's something most hardware stores stock. However I do believe that there are cheaper alternatives with equivalent performance, just might take some time and effort getting them.
Don't forget that DIY is rewarding and fun.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that, but I don't begrudge someone wanting a simple solution for what is honestly not a lot of money. Especially considering what many people spend on their systems. Ensuring you're getting proper sound from your speakers without vibration or reflection is more important than most people realize. In the sound science forum there was a discussion going on about how far you have to go with room treatments to get flat response from a room. A couple pads are a huge benefit for a small investment regardless of whether it's pre-made or DIY. Arguing about how someone goes about it is just frivolous. If they start getting into exotic materials and some random EMF dampening with them then I'll be skeptical. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5,214 of 10,933
Lol, professional test.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #5,215 of 10,933

Quote:
On a kind of related note, can anyone point me to a place to buy those small, angled speaker raisers? Most are made of foam I think. I used to have a long raiser on my desk that raised everything, but I have removed it because it's ugly and just want something to angled my KRKs. Obviously they don't sound nearly as good without the tweeters pointing at my ears.

What would even be helpful is does anyone know what they are called? I searched "foam speaker risers" etc but found nothing.

It will sound even better without those angled foam risers.  Use something to get the entire speaker up off the desk by at least 6 inches or so if you don't want the bass and lower mids to be all muddy.  It will sound much better that way.  Lots of cheap options too, like diy wood stands or cinder block.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #5,216 of 10,933

Yeah, I don't disagree with that, but I don't begrudge someone wanting a simple solution for what is honestly not a lot of money. Especially considering what many people spend on their systems. Ensuring you're getting proper sound from your speakers without vibration or reflection is more important than most people realize. In the sound science forum there was a discussion going on about how far you have to go with room treatments to get flat response from a room. A couple pads are a huge benefit for a small investment regardless of whether it's pre-made or DIY. Arguing about how someone goes about it is just frivolous. If they start getting into exotic materials and some random EMF dampening with them then I'll be skeptical. 

Indeed, I would never expect some very expensive pad of $2000 with exotic materials to significantly outperform a sub $50 DIY solution.
But right now I don't really think it matter at all with my ~$80/pr speakers. I'm thinking of buying some new ones somewhere in the future. I know a fair bit about headphones and amps, but I'm fairly oblivious when it comes to speakers.

Would anyone know a informative forum specializing a bit more on speakers than this forum? Otherwise a book or website offering some good information would also be appreciated.

Technology is evil - I need a new computer monitor (probably Dell U2311H), new speakers, new phono amp, new portable amp (getting Mini3), new cans (want LCD-2's) and a new turntable.
Maybe I should get a part time job after all :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5,219 of 10,933

The pionner sx-1250 has always been a vintage receiver on my wishlist. It's a classic for sure :)
Quote:
The Pioneer sx-1250 and Sansui 9090db are on my wishlist...but very hard to find them here in Oz. I almost bought the minimax couple of months ago...then i heard the new version was going to come out in Sep (with better USB implementation).

I have posted my current set-up here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/397869/pictures-of-your-computer-rigs-post-them-here/4770#post_7612046

Users who are viewing this thread

Back