Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #5,221 of 10,933

Quote:
It will sound even better without those angled foam risers.  Use something to get the entire speaker up off the desk by at least 6 inches or so if you don't want the bass and lower mids to be all muddy.  It will sound much better that way.  Lots of cheap options too, like diy wood stands or cinder block.

I don't have the bass coming from the speakers, I've got it cutting 80hz and under to the KRK sub (RP10S). I just want a couple of cheap, low profile items to angle them to my ears (like the foam ones linked).

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5,222 of 10,933

Quote:
Really? You have dense foam pads specifically engineered to absorb vibrations around the house? And they're cut at various angles to allow you to adjust from 30-60deg angle?

Must be nice to have that just lying around the house.

Oh wait..

Am I missing something? I need one that does about 30 degrees, but the Auralex one I looked at I think only said a max of 8 degree?

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #5,223 of 10,933

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #5,224 of 10,933
As of today, with my new gear, it's this:

It's a bit messy. Need to revise the cable management somehow. Better yet, build my own desk...

I definitely don't like having to keep this big receiver plopped on my desk to feed the SRD-7/SB, but I don't have any other choices that don't involve spending much more money on new speaker amps or SRM-series direct-drive amps.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5,225 of 10,933
Maybe get bigger cables for the receiver and put it on the ground. If possible you could put the PC on the ground as well.

But more importantly - what's with the ancient looking monitor?

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #5,226 of 10,933
Don't knock my Sun GDM-5410. Best $10 monitor I've had yet; it can do 1600x1200 at 95 Hz and doesn't have flyback transformer issues like the $6 Dell P1110 it replaced. Only thing that would truly surpass this is one of the legendary Sony GDM-FW900s.

While IPS and AFFS+ LCDs can be quite nice, they still have a few tradeoffs when coming from CRTs, especially for gaming.

I can't put my desktop on the floor because it blocks off a drawer you can't see off to the right. In fact, what I really need is a narrower desk without those side drawers so that I can put my desktop on the floor, and in their place, some HOTAS mounts so that I don't have to shove the keyboard off to the side and drag the flight stick in front of the monitor whenever I want to use it. (What really complicates things when running desk designs through my head is the balance between "computer desk" and "flight simulator cockpit", actually. If I had a split keyboard, things would be significantly easier, but mechanical split keyboards are uncommon and expensive.)

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #5,227 of 10,933
Here's my new DAC! The Violectric V800 DAC!

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #5,229 of 10,933

Quote:
Don't knock my Sun GDM-5410. Best $10 monitor I've had yet; it can do 1600x1200 at 95 Hz and doesn't have flyback transformer issues like the $6 Dell P1110 it replaced. Only thing that would truly surpass this is one of the legendary Sony GDM-FW900s.

While IPS and AFFS+ LCDs can be quite nice, they still have a few tradeoffs when coming from CRTs, especially for gaming.

I can't put my desktop on the floor because it blocks off a drawer you can't see off to the right. In fact, what I really need is a narrower desk without those side drawers so that I can put my desktop on the floor, and in their place, some HOTAS mounts so that I don't have to shove the keyboard off to the side and drag the flight stick in front of the monitor whenever I want to use it. (What really complicates things when running desk designs through my head is the balance between "computer desk" and "flight simulator cockpit", actually. If I had a split keyboard, things would be significantly easier, but mechanical split keyboards are uncommon and expensive.)

That's enough trade off not to have a CRT for me lol.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #5,230 of 10,933

Quote:
That's enough trade off not to have a CRT for me lol.

The GDM-FW900 (and anything else based on the FD Trinitron G1W chassis) would let me run 1920x1200 at 95-100 Hz.

Problem is, they're not exactly easy to find because other CRT enthusiasts are snagging them up every chance they get, and those that are for sale cost hundreds of dollars. They're not getting any newer, either-at least the FD Trinitron G1 chassis monitors like I'm using are far easier to find locally for rock-bottom prices if I need replacements.

I'll admit, the allure of 1920x1200 and even 2560x1600 LCDs is a very tempting one, but I simply don't have the wallet for it, especially not the latter. (And 1920x1080 needs to get out of the PC market and stay on HDTVs where it belongs. 1200 vertical lines is a MINIMUM for me.)

Oh, and before I get too caught up in a monitor discussion here: nice DAC. Well, nice, EVERYTHING in that stack.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #5,231 of 10,933
Yeah, what's with the old monitor?  Love your flight gear though.  A fellow simmer!  Hey, what you can do is get a mild crate and turn it upside down and place your receiver on that on the floor?

Quote:
Maybe get bigger cables for the receiver and put it on the ground. If possible you could put the PC on the ground as well.

But more importantly - what's with the ancient looking monitor?

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #5,232 of 10,933

Love your flight sim tools.  I love my trackerIR5.  I have the same issues with the flight sticks.  You could benefot from an IKEA office desk setup.  they are sturdy and cheap and great quality.  www.ikea.com.   Check them out.  Oh and I dissagree.  New LCD monitors are now at 2ms.  as fast as crts nowadays and they are cheap and they are bigger! 

Quote:

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #5,233 of 10,933
I love monitor stats. Fun fact: They all lie. All of them. Every. Last. One. refresh rate and response time are both measured differently from model to model, not just brand to brand. There is no ISO defined standard for how you measure, what you measure, any of it. Because of that, a 5 ms screen can actually be faster and clearer than a 2 ms screen. Fun times.

The truth is an IPS display is going to be equal or higher quality to all but the very best CRTs that were available at their height. However, they have none of the tradeoffs of having a CRT (such as the cancer, power consumption and insane amounts of space required).

Oh, and another reason the gaming excuse is invalid is this: How many gamers do you think still place with CRTs? How many gaming rig companies still even offer CRTs?

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #5,234 of 10,933
The truth is an IPS display is going to be equal or higher quality to all but the very best CRTs that were available at their height. However, they have none of the tradeoffs of having a CRT (such as the cancer, power consumption and insane amounts of space required).<

You forget generating a chirping tone that gives me an unbearable headache.
And CRT's are pretty dated as far as I know. I remember there was a girl playing on a CRT in a ventrilo channel once. Everyone suddenly stopped what they were doing due in sheer awe; 'Who the hell still has a bubble monitor? That's ancient!'.
And that was almost two years ago, if I remember correctly.

And it's true that specs don't say much, but isn't that the same with audio equipment? There are somethings we can consider like having IPS of TN in monitors, or having a good DAC chip over a bad one.
Other than that I think we are quite used to just reading what other people have to say about it before buying (reading reviews and forum posts). And if we're lucky we get a chance to audition it before buying.

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #5,235 of 10,933

Quote:
You forget generating a chirping tone that gives me an unbearable headache.

Oh yeah, I did forget. I seem to remember that being the same 16,500 Hz ringing noise you get from old TVs (my parents have one, they can't hear it).

Quote:
And it's true that specs don't say much, but isn't that the same with audio equipment? There are somethings we can consider like havingIPS of TN in monitors, or having a good DAC chip over a bad one.
Other than that I think we are quite used to just reading what other people have to say about it before buying (reading reviews and forum posts). And if we're lucky we get a chance to audition it before buying.

In theory, and I could be wrong, there are some standards on how you measure various stats on a DAC. Or, at the very least, there is an industry accepted best practice sort of situation. With displays you don't even get that. It's why you hear about companies literally using a difference process to measure the specs on different models and different product lines of their own monitors.

But to be honest a lot of it is fluff anyway. It's very hard to compare stats to how the human eye actually sees. Then there are stats that go overboard. In many cases higher refresh rates don't actually lead to a better picture. HD TVs are often 120 Hz and 240 Hz but they are now doing such true-to-life pictures that they're actually having to add blur back into the image to reduce eye strain and fatigue. Without the right amount of blurring pictures will look less real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back