Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #3,016 of 10,933
Yeah.  They hardly make any high resolution displays anymore.  All the ones that do exist are widescreen now anyways, and they're still too damn big with not enough resolution to go with their size, and they're ungodly expensive to boot.  That's why I'm still sticking to CRTs.  My main screen is a ViewSonic P225 22" CRT with 2048x1536 maximum resolution.

Its main selling point is its price.  I got it for free because people seem to be allergic to CRTs these days...

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #3,017 of 10,933
U2711 from dell has a 2650x1440 resolution :)

Aside from the obvious space required for a CRT, they also use much more power. Your ViewSonic P225 22" CRT draws 148W of power whereas my 27" draws ~60W (86W out of box).

maverickronin: do you actually use your 22" @ 2048x1536? That quite a high pixel density!

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #3,018 of 10,933
I ever said there weren't any at all.  Just not many.

That Dell has all 3 problems I listed.  Its widescreen, its expensive, and it has low pixel density.  At such a gigantic size I'd like see at least 3 times the pixel count.  The problem I have with LCDs is that you usually have to get something humongous to get a decent pixel count.  My "22 inch" CRT really only has a 19 1/2" viewable area.  The most resolution you're going to get at that size from a LCD is probably 1280x1024.  The whole bezel measures in at about 24".  There aren't even any 24" 4:3 LCDs on Newegg right now.  There are 2 NEC 21 inchers with the same resolution as my main CRT but the cheaper one is $3700!

And in case you're wondering, I can't stand widescreen monitors because they just waste desk space.  Widescreen TVs are fine because that's what most of the content is in these days, but I watch that on my TV (which is also my 3rd monitor).  I do most of my work on my main CRT and I need all the resolution I can get for many tasks.

EDIT"

It doesn't matter to me that a LCD has a smaller volume than my CRT because I can't use that extra space for anything.  I can't put anything behind it because I won't be able to reach it and I certainly can't use the extra depth saved for more monitors because I don't have X-ray vision.  You're right about the power, but we're on an audio forum where sacrificing efficiency for fidelity is already the name of the game, so I'm prepared to pay that cost.

And I do use my monitor at its maximum resolution all the time on the desktop.  It will probably be less if I'm playing a game though, since I play lots of older games that don't go that high and my video card isn't fast enough to keep up with that res on newer games.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #3,021 of 10,933

Quote:
Quote:
1920 x 1200 is I'm not mistaken

Argh, way to small of a resolution for a 28" monitor. Guess I'll keep looking. Work has me way too spoiled with a 2560x1600 30" on my desk.

You wouldn't want a TN from Hanns.G anyway if you've been using 30" IPSes.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #3,024 of 10,933
Thanks.  My wife (an architect by trade) really likes minimalist scandinavian furniture (not Ikea stuff though) that juxtaposes bold primary colors with gloss white surfaces.  It's an aesthetic we picked up when living in Finland a couple years back.  It may look a little empty because we just moved into the current place and have tried to leave some floor space next to the shelves for tower speakers.   As for the simplicity of the rig... she picked the receiver out from a short list I gave her.  She absolutely hated the looks and size of my old setup (a Rotel RC1070 preamp and NAD C272 amp).  I guess it's the price you pay for being married and living in an apartment that doesn't have a man cave.  

Quote:
To vinnievidi - I really like the simplicity of your rig. Almost has a bit of a dorm room vibe to it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #3,025 of 10,933

Quote:
Thanks.  My wife (an architect by trade) really likes minimalist scandinavian furniture (not Ikea stuff though) that juxtaposes bold primary colors with gloss white surfaces.  It's an aesthetic we picked up when living in Finland a couple years back.  It may look a little empty because we just moved into the current place and have tried to leave some floor space next to the shelves for tower speakers.   As for the simplicity of the rig... she picked the receiver out from a short list I gave her.  She absolutely hated the looks and size of my old setup (a Rotel RC1070 preamp and NAD C272 amp).  I guess it's the price you pay for being married and living in an apartment that doesn't have a man cave.  

Quote:
To vinnievidi - I really like the simplicity of your rig. Almost has a bit of a dorm room vibe to it.

Would you mind giving us a run down of the components in the pictures?

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #3,027 of 10,933
It's kind of funny that my eight year old ThinkPad A30p has a 15.1" UXGA (1600x1200) IPS screen with 170 degree wiewing angle and that my new ThinkPad W510 has a 15.6" HD+ (1600x900) TN panel with fairly limited viewing angle.
This may be kind of useless info, but I'm drunk, the x-mas dinner is served with red wine and danish people are still vikings by nature, so bare with me :-S

Edit: Marry x-mas to all of you!

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #3,028 of 10,933
^ LOL! Cheers, and Merry Christmas! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back