Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Dec 25, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #3,035 of 10,933

Quote:
Thanks bart. Nice setup btw.

Thanks. Problem is, lurking here, I feel that I need to test out more phones...

Quote:
I really dig the tweeter section on the Adams.. How do they sound?

Great midrange and highs. Treble is there, crisp and clear.I didn't get those from AE2 (admittedly for close to 1/3 the price AE2 is quite respectable). One issue with the AE is the muddy mid-high bass from those small woofers, whereas the Adam doesn't seem to "force" the bass tones that it can't handle. I auditioned a few inluding Dynaudio BM5MKII, used Adam A7 (older non-X model) and others. The Dynaudio is more expensive and with the rear port, it doesn't work for my setup. The used Adam 7 for similar price is really great but too big. If you're a bass head you may need a sub w/ the A3.

Quote:
Oh, and how exactly do you connect them? they don't seem to work the same way as a A2. You need two RCAs for each speaker?

Currently I use the included RCAs from the Burson pre-out (one each). You could make one a "master" so it controls the vol of the other, but I use the volume pot of the Burson anyway.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #3,036 of 10,933
I'm currently using a Denon DRA-CX3, which is a great, yet little known—at least little reviewed—receiver that Denon put out in a limited run two years ago.  The amp section is pretty nice: the 75+75 watt rating is pretty conservative and it doubles to 150+150 at 4 ohms.  Compared to the Rotel/NAD setup I had earlier, I guess you would describe the Denon as more polite and musical sounding.

You can find better photos if it here: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/photos-hands-on-with-denons-cx3-high-end-miniature-hi-fi-49293936/

The speakers are an old pair of Polk Audio RT25i.  I've had these forever, even when owning other more expensive brands and models.  Thanks to a generous Christmas gift, I will be receiving a pair of KEF iQ70 floor standers in a week or two (depending on delivery) and the Polks will finally be retired.  Maybe I'll give them to a friend who is currently using these crappy Onkyo HTIB monstrosities as his mains.  The guy has more money than God but thinks that spending more than $500 for a AV receiver + 7 speakers + a subwoofer is too much.  I know everyone is different, with different interests and priorities, but he constantly complains that my system sounds better (even with the Polks).  I don't get it. 

The turntable is a Technics SL-1200MK2 with a Grado Gold1 Cartridge.  I love the Technics for its ease of use, but my wife wants me to replace it with the Music Hall MMF2.2 — she loves the looks of the Ferrari red model.  I'm not too crazy about the Grado cartridge and will hopefully replace it soon with an Ortofon red, or something similar.

On the computer end of the setup, I have a MacMini (2010 model) connected to 3 1TB LaCie drives and an airport express.  This is all controlled by an iPad. 

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks.  My wife (an architect by trade) really likes minimalist scandinavian furniture (not Ikea stuff though) that juxtaposes bold primary colors with gloss white surfaces.  It's an aesthetic we picked up when living in Finland a couple years back.  It may look a little empty because we just moved into the current place and have tried to leave some floor space next to the shelves for tower speakers.   As for the simplicity of the rig... she picked the receiver out from a short list I gave her.  She absolutely hated the looks and size of my old setup (a Rotel RC1070 preamp and NAD C272 amp).  I guess it's the price you pay for being married and living in an apartment that doesn't have a man cave.  

Quote:
To vinnievidi - I really like the simplicity of your rig. Almost has a bit of a dorm room vibe to it.

Would you mind giving us a run down of the components in the pictures?

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3,037 of 10,933
what iphone is that? and i just found this googling for this stand a few minutes ago, something to consider for your iPad: http://www.myibend.com/

iBend XL would look nice with this, I believe :)

Quote:
Using my iPad to control iTunes (via the Remote app) until I can afford a second monitor.
smily_headphones1.gif

e67cf98b.jpg

And got this nifty iPhone stand today. Looks great (the silver matches my monitor stand) and is angled perfectly for use with FaceTime IMO.

a8539df1.jpg

Next purchase will be the Maverick D1. I'll be using it as a DAC/pre-amp for my Swans.

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #3,039 of 10,933
it's a razer mamba i believe, as I have one. and how dare you, yes it IS worthy to have it's own stand!!!! it's a charging stand since it's wireless. it can be wired too, bypassing the stand, need for charging, and of course, wireless functionality, but IMO wireless is necessary for quick mouse movements etc because having the wire there adds a weird feeling of resistance whenever I move pretty much, and it gets annoying. i love how it's wireless is powerful enough to be gaming grade and the same speed as wired! sorry this post turned into a mini review :p

Quote:
what razer mouse is that and why is it worthy to have it's own stand?  it looks like the deathadder i used to have, which was a fantastic mouse but i always got jacked in games because i was always staring at the blinking light on it.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #3,041 of 10,933
will be moving in a few months....first thing ill do is get a bigger table.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #3,043 of 10,933
here's mine. can't see my rig since it's on the floor. i can't post pics worth crap so if someone fixes, that's cool.don't have to,but if someone does i greatly appreciate it.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac26/RexAeterna/DSC00773.jpg

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #3,044 of 10,933

Quote:
here's mine. can't see my rig since it's on the floor. i can't post pics worth crap so if someone fixes, that's cool.don't have to,but if someone does i greatly appreciate it.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #3,045 of 10,933
I have an external HD with most all my CD's ripped in FLAC. My PC outputs USB to my an external DAC, then to a BSR EQ-3000 for fine tuning, then to my Little Dot 1+ amp. I only have 2 headphones: a pair of SONY MDR-V700 for when I listen here at my desk, and a pair of Dr. Dre Tours for my iPod on the go playback.

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back