Phonak Audeo?
Jan 31, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #691 of 2,281
let me just say, I truly enjoyed the last two pages of this post, quite enjoyable/comical. My headphones came today, but I cant get my hands on them until Monday... Damn mailing system... I'll post my experience with the wonderful sounding (on paper) PFEs when I get to actually fondle them!

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #692 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by marshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let me just say, I truly enjoyed the last two pages of this post, quite enjoyable/comical. My headphones came today, but I cant get my hands on them until Monday... Damn mailing system... I'll post my experience with the wonderful sounding (on paper) PFEs when I get to actually fondle them!

I feel your pain. Mine were shipped Express Mail and would have made it to me the next day on a Saturday, I didn't get my greedy hands on them until Tuesday morning. My first 30 minute listen was while driving 20 miles to the Virginia Beach oceanfront from my office...not safe you say, who cares! New toy-must listen.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #693 of 2,281
Just for the record I want to log my protest about the proposed rankings in the past two pages. I haven't heard the IE8 yet but I rank the others as below (unamped), with a few tied spots here and there, and reserve the right to reconsider and re-rank them at any time:

1. Westone 3 grey silicone tips or UM56 custom tips
2. Livewires and SE530 custom livewires shell (almost a 1st place tie except for less immersion and impact)
3. Freq Show w/ Music Makers x-over
3. Phonak Audeo with grey silicone
3. Image X10 large eargels
4. SE530 stock black olive foams or UM56
4. Triple.fi 10 pro Complys T400/T500
5. NE-7M Shure E2c black silicone or T400
6. SA6 - klipsch ear gels
7. q-JAYS jays foam tips
8. Denon C700 T400 tips
9. SE310 (needs amp to move to 7th or 8th)
10. E4c (needs amp to move up to 7th or 8th)
11. depodded IM716 (needs amp to move up to 7th or 8th) grey silicone tips
11. ER6i shure black olives
11. Nuforce NE-8 nuforce bi-flange
12. Super.fi 5 Pro T400 tips
12. JVC FX-66 air cushion stock silicone
13. Marshmallows blue foam

PS: ANY OF THESE EARPHONES SOUND OKAY, BUT 5TH PLACE AND HIGHER ARE MY FAVORITES AND I WOULD BUY AGAIN IF I HAD TO.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #694 of 2,281
Are the PFE's good for hip hop and electronic?

And importantly, are they FUN? I've read that they are very accurate and analytical but I want something fun and that's why I'm still considering the Ne-7m's (and I like to have the bass 'bumping')

Also, could someone please tell me how large the Fiio E5 is?
:EDIT: wow I just saw the dimensions of the E5, is it really only a little larger than an iPod Shuffle??

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #695 of 2,281
I listened to some Drum n Bass and a Girltalk album that consist of rap mixed with other things the other night and the bass was bumping pretty good. I don't know where it comes from because the things are so tiny, pretty amazing!

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #696 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to some Drum n Bass and a Girltalk album that consist of rap mixed with other things the other night and the bass was bumping pretty good. I don't know where it comes from because the things are so tiny, pretty amazing!

Are you using an amp and LOD or are you directly plugging them into your iPod?
I want to get these but if I need an E5 and a LOD then I'd rather not spend so much money.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #698 of 2,281
My Phonaks came in yesterday, and I have to say they're great! These are my first real set of 'phones. My previous pair were JVC FX66s, so I can't compare these to other IEMs or describe the quality of these very well. Wish I could describe these like everyone else has been doing on here.
tongue.gif

My experience with the Phonaks have been quite good.

At first, I didn't think the Complys would provide much of a better seal/isolation than the medium silicone tips because I get a suction/vacuum like seal with them, but wow, I was suprised. I then tried one side with the silicone tip and the other with a Comply tip. The Complys revealed that the silicone tips didn't form a complete. I could hear my mouse clicking through the side with silicone tips while I could barely hear it with the Complys. Though I'm sure everybody here know all about this already.
tongue.gif

I know that Comply tips are supposed to have better seal and SQ, but I'm a bit sad to say that I couldn't really distinguish the SQ improvements over the silicone tips. With both on, I could only tell that the tips sounded different from each other.

Changing filters the first couple of times was a bit of a hassle before getting the hang of it. Should the filters be kind of white (I guess you could say worn) around the sides after I put them in for the first time? Every set I put in, except for a pair of greys, were like that after putting them in.

I am a bit urk'd about the frequency response only going up to 17Khz. Parts of some songs are missing because of this. While listening, I'm expecting to hear something in the next few seconds that I would normally hear, but I end up going "Hey, where is it?". I'm not exactly excited about this, but, from the looks of it, this isn't much of a problem for everybody else. Does the frequency bother anyone else, or am I alone on this?

I haven't had time to sit down and just listen, but so far, these are very good! I know this seems quite minor, but I sort of want to return these due to the frequency response though I also don't want to part with the Phonaks at the same time.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #699 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phonaks came in yesterday, and I have to say they're great! These are my first real set of 'phones. My previous pair were JVC FX66s, so I can't compare these to other IEMs or describe the quality of these very well. Wish I could describe these like everyone else has been doing on here.
tongue.gif

My experience with the Phonaks have been quite good.

At first, I didn't think the Complys would provide much of a better seal/isolation than the medium silicone tips because I get a suction/vacuum like seal with them, but wow, I was suprised. I then tried one side with the silicone tip and the other with a Comply tip. The Complys revealed that the silicone tips didn't form a complete. I could hear my mouse clicking through the side with silicone tips while I could barely hear it with the Complys. Though I'm sure everybody here know all about this already.
tongue.gif

I know that Comply tips are supposed to have better seal and SQ, but I'm a bit sad to say that I couldn't really distinguish the SQ improvements over the silicone tips. With both on, I could only tell that the tips sounded different from each other.

Changing filters the first couple of times was a bit of a hassle before getting the hang of it. Should the filters be kind of white (I guess you could say worn) around the sides after I put them in for the first time? Every set I put in, except for a pair of greys, were like that after putting them in.

I am a bit urk'd about the frequency response only going up to 17Khz. Parts of some songs are missing because of this. While listening, I'm expecting to hear something in the next few seconds that I would normally hear, but I end up going "Hey, where is it?". I'm not exactly excited about this, but, from the looks of it, this isn't much of a problem for everybody else. Does the frequency bother anyone else, or am I alone on this?

I haven't had time to sit down and just listen, but so far, these are very good! I know this seems quite minor, but I sort of want to return these due to the frequency response though I also don't want to part with the Phonaks at the same time.

i think that is because the silicones are not thick enough. while they do provide very good seal, the isolation isn't good enough. this should be a problem that can be solved with a double or even triple flange silicon (phonaks?)

i personally prefer silicones as well, since the idea of changing a pair of comply foams every other week is absolutely ridiculous. the "running cost" is waaaay too high. so i'm hoping that phonaks would eventually make and sell double/triple flange silicon tips (fingers crossed.....)

in the mean time i tried the ety triple flange silicones, and they kind of work, though they may get stuck in your ear when you take the earphones of, since the earphones do not provide enough grip to hold them in place. however i think a phonak engineer (or someone) said the silicones and comply foams are specially designed for the pfe's so in theory they would not sound as nice with these other silicones.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #701 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that is because the silicones are not thick enough. while they do provide very good seal, the isolation isn't good enough. this should be a problem that can be solved with a double or even triple flange silicon (phonaks?)

i personally prefer silicones as well, since the idea of changing a pair of comply foams every other week is absolutely ridiculous. the "running cost" is waaaay too high. so i'm hoping that phonaks would eventually make and sell double/triple flange silicon tips (fingers crossed.....)

in the mean time i tried the ety triple flange silicones, and they kind of work, though they may get stuck in your ear when you take the earphones of, since the earphones do not provide enough grip to hold them in place. however i think a phonak engineer (or someone) said the silicones and comply foams are specially designed for the pfe's so in theory they would not sound as nice with these other silicones.

You're correct, I remember reading that post. I'm curious what other tips work for the PFEs. Are you takling about the Phonaks not having enough grip with the Ety tips or in general?

Although Complys are nice, I would rather save money to try another IEM than spend on tips, even if a pack of 5 could last 10-15 weeks. I read that the Shure Black Foam/Olives worked on the Phonaks from the IE8 vs. Phonak review and that Shure Olives are rewashable so they can last a year/forever. Is this true? I would spring for a pack of Olives if they could last that long.

I'm quite satisfied with the medium silicone tips, but better tips wouldn't hurt.
ksc75smile.gif

--Edit--
@Vapor

Although I've never owned the CX300 or EP-630, the Phonaks will most likely have better isolation. The Phonaks isolate much better than my old FX66s with the silicone tips, even better with the Complys.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #702 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're correct, I remember reading that post. I'm curious what other tips work for the PFEs. Are you takling about the Phonaks not having enough grip with the Ety tips or in general?

Although Complys are nice, I would rather save money to try another IEM than spend on tips, even if a pack of 5 could last 10-15 weeks. I read that the Shure Black Foam/Olives worked on the Phonaks from the IE8 vs. Phonak review and that Shure Olives are rewashable so they can last a year/forever. Is this true? I would spring for a pack of Olives if they could last that long.

I'm quite satisfied with the medium silicone tips, but better tips wouldn't hurt.
ksc75smile.gif

not enough grip with ety tips :p

i haven't tried the olives yet, mainly because the ones that i've seen (that are in use) looks hideous (sorry)

and i second your last sentence
normal_smile .gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #703 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Westone 3 grey silicone tips or UM56 custom tips
2. Livewires and SE530 custom livewires shell (almost a 1st place tie except for less immersion and impact)
3. Freq Show w/ Music Makers x-over
3. Phonak Audeo with grey silicone
3. Image X10 large eargels
4. SE530 stock black olive foams or UM56
4. Triple.fi 10 pro Complys T400/T500

While I can see - with some effort
wink.gif
- that different preferences regarding traits of IEMs lead to a different rating of the Phonaks and the Westone 3s I wonder how the Livewires can be rated so high. The T1s of mine are able to reproduce frequencies only up to 12.5 Khz. Almost the same situation in low bass where they are recessed, too (but not as bad as in the high frequency department). Mids are quite balancend and nice but the lack in extension takes all the fun out of listening to them. I even prefer SE 310 because these at least can be equalized with regard to the high frequencies. The Livewires hit a hard wall in the high frequency range; even strong eq'ing doesn't help.

Regarding W3 and Phonaks I prefer the latter. For my ears they excel with regard to several key aspects: extension in the highs, soundstage, absence of sibilance, tone colors, and absence of mid-bass emphasis. IMHO the number 1 rival to the Phonaks among the universal IEMs are the IE8s. They are different but I like both. The more laid back, "full" and "warm" but still pretty detailed IE8s and the precise and accurate, balanced, neutral, and at the same time fun Phonaks. Both have great soundstage and extension, both are very natural sounding. The only situation where I tend to reach to the W3 is when (more) isolation is needed.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #704 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by KitarP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the PFE's good for hip hop and electronic?

And importantly, are they FUN? I've read that they are very accurate and analytical but I want something fun and that's why I'm still considering the Ne-7m's (and I like to have the bass 'bumping')

Also, could someone please tell me how large the Fiio E5 is?
:EDIT: wow I just saw the dimensions of the E5, is it really only a little larger than an iPod Shuffle??

Yeah they're awesome for these kinds of music, bass is tight but no at all anemic, it hits hard when it needs to (for example on a Dr. Dre beat), don't worry about that. If you're a basshead maybe you need to try them, however i thought i was a basshead until getting recently the ES7 (which is supposed to be quite bright) and the Phonaks, and i love them both now (actually the ES7 is even too bassy for me). Electronic music definitely shines with the Phonaks. I've even listened to crunk stuff like Youngbloodz and it sounds totally amazing.
Please note that i don't use any amp and i'm using grey filter
smily_headphones1.gif
The E5 is a bit larger than the Shuffle i guess, a bit more than the Clip.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #705 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I can see - with some effort
wink.gif
- that different preferences regarding traits of IEMs lead to a different rating of the Phonaks and the Westone 3s I wonder how the Livewires can be rated so high. The T1s of mine are able to reproduce frequencies only up to 12.5 Khz. Almost the same situation in low bass where they are recessed, too (but not as bad as in the high frequency department). Mids are quite balancend and nice but the lack in extension takes all the fun out of listening to them. I even prefer SE 310 because these at least can be equalized with regard to the high frequencies. The Livewires hit a hard wall in the high frequency range; even strong eq'ing doesn't help.

Regarding W3 and Phonaks I prefer the latter. For my ears they excel with regard to several key aspects: extension in the highs, soundstage, absence of sibilance, tone colors, and absence of mid-bass emphasis. IMHO the number 1 rival to the Phonaks among the universal IEMs are the IE8s. They are different but I like both. The more laid back, "full" and "warm" but still pretty detailed IE8s and the precise and accurate, balanced, neutral, and at the same time fun Phonaks. Both have great soundstage and extension, both are very natural sounding. The only situation where I tend to reach to the W3 is when (more) isolation is needed.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the pfe. Even with my W3 tip breakthrough yesterday (long story, but two different-sized Complys work for me to eliminate any harshness), I still would rather choose the Phonaks when I want to enjoy the music I have to its fullest. Just a personal preference, I guess. It would be nice to buy and burn in a pair of IE8s, but with the recession raging, my buying days are done for now. But on balance, I am very happy the PFEs came along in the wake of getting the W3s. Of course, I can't speak for the Livewires, since I don't own them.

Chi2, can I ask which filters and tips you use with the PFEs? I keep going back and forth, now using black filters with silicone. But then I wonder if I am missing something without the grays. Just curious, since you also prefer them on balance to the W3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back