Phonak Audeo?
Feb 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #721 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, pretty neutral SQ-wise with mini to mini and E5. The LOD connection does improve the Phonak sound, but that may be more the way you are listening (bypassing the HP out) as much as anything else. I think using that approach with an amp almost has to boost SQ somewhat.

thank you very much!!
is the hp out that bad? lol

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #722 of 2,281
Depends on the iPod model. Example, I have the 5.5g with a broken HP out, so I only use the LOD/amp with it (I also Rockboxed it). I have read that others say that specific iPod is much better using the LOD vs. HP for serious listening. Funny, but I bought the replacement HP jack, but am afraid to DIY it. I may get it fixed, but no hurry. With the Touch, there is a discernible difference when using the MiniboxE+ and the LOD cable (and the PFEs).

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #723 of 2,281
Quote:

Chi2, can I ask which filters and tips you use with the PFEs? I keep going back and forth, now using black filters with silicone. But then I wonder if I am missing something without the grays. Just curious, since you also prefer them on balance to the W3s.

I did give the gray filters three tries. Each time I returned to the black ones. This may have to do with the type of music I'm mainly listening to and with the quality of the recordings. These days more than 75 percent of my listening is dedicated to vocal Jazz and Alternative, that is Kari Bremnes, Christie Baron, Patricia Barber, Cassandra Wilson, Sara K., Vienna Teng, and the like. These recordings tend to be of a pretty high quality. To me the black filters deliver all the details beautifully and without being overly bright, hard or cold. I love acoustic bass; the black filters render it in a marvellous and spectacular way. It's just like the real thing. Regarding Sennheiser IE8: the Phonaks are slightly more detailed even with black filters. I do like the IE8s, too, despite of the overemphasized midbass, but I'd honestly be surprised if those prefering the gray filters on the Phonaks would be happy with the IE8s.
smile.gif

Two tips work best for me: reversed (large) Shure black foam olives and (large) silicone hybrids, that is Comply T-500 mounted into the Phonak silicones.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #724 of 2,281
Thanks, very helpful. I may try to mod those tips (need to order some T500s first). Will T400s work? Seems their sound tube is too large. What about the OEM COmplys, the T130s. I bought a pack of them. Also, refresh my memory, did you remove the sound tube on the Comply and place them inside the silicone sleeve? Seems logical.

And I agree on the black filters, but needed a second opinion.

I listen to much the same type of music. Love Vienna Teng, someone many people never heard of. Try out Emiliana Torrini, her new CD. Very nice.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #725 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding Sennheiser IE8: the Phonaks are slightly more detailed even with black filters. I do like the IE8s, too, despite of the overemphasized midbass, but I'd honestly be surprised if those prefering the gray filters on the Phonaks would be happy with the IE8s.
smile.gif

...you know that makes my wallet happy.
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #726 of 2,281
Quote:

I did give the gray filters three tries. Each time I returned to the black ones. This may have to do with the type of music I'm mainly listening to and with the quality of the recordings. These days more than 75 percent of my listening is dedicated to vocal Jazz and Alternative, that is Kari Bremnes, Christie Baron, Patricia Barber, Cassandra Wilson, Sara K., Vienna Teng, and the like. These recordings tend to be of a pretty high quality. To me the black filters deliver all the details beautifully and without being overly bright, hard or cold. I love acoustic bass; the black filters render it in a marvellous and spectacular way. It's just like the real thing. Regarding Sennheiser IE8: the Phonaks are slightly more detailed even with black filters. I do like the IE8s, too, despite of the overemphasized midbass, but I'd honestly be surprised if those prefering the gray filters on the Phonaks would be happy with the IE8s.
smile.gif

Two tips work best for me: reversed (large) Shure black foam olives and (large) silicone hybrids, that is Comply T-500 mounted into the Phonak silicones.

how does that work/look like?

i'll probably try the olives and this hybrid when i get my hands on another pair of pfe's

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #727 of 2,281
Shure * - 9 Inch Black Extension Cable

this seems to be the shortest extension cable i can find so far (9"), which is great, but they still have a straight connector!

it seems like world+dog makes straight connectors now (e.g. ue, changed their L-connectors to a straight connector with their new cables)

damn iphones......

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #728 of 2,281
Quote:

While I can see - with some effort
wink.gif
- that different preferences regarding traits of IEMs lead to a different rating of the Phonaks and the Westone 3s I wonder how the Livewires can be rated so high. The T1s of mine are able to reproduce frequencies only up to 12.5 Khz. Almost the same situation in low bass where they are recessed, too (but not as bad as in the high frequency department). Mids are quite balancend and nice but the lack in extension takes all the fun out of listening to them. I even prefer SE 310 because these at least can be equalized with regard to the high frequencies. The Livewires hit a hard wall in the high frequency range; even strong eq'ing doesn't help.

Regarding W3 and Phonaks I prefer the latter. For my ears they excel with regard to several key aspects: extension in the highs, soundstage, absence of sibilance, tone colors, and absence of mid-bass emphasis. IMHO the number 1 rival to the Phonaks among the universal IEMs are the IE8s. They are different but I like both. The more laid back, "full" and "warm" but still pretty detailed IE8s and the precise and accurate, balanced, neutral, and at the same time fun Phonaks. Both have great soundstage and extension, both are very natural sounding. The only situation where I tend to reach to the W3 is when (more) isolation is needed.

I don't have those issues with my Livewires - maybe the length of your ear canal cancels out some frequencies in there (or the length of the sound tube in your LW)?

See my public profile "about me" for links to my reviews, including livewires vs freq show, and others like Westone 3. I have also posted my thoughts of the Phonak in more detail here in this thread, and it has been positive and favorable - just not a one IEM to rule them all kinda of sound for me. Then again, I'm one of those wierdos who loves the Ultrasone Edition 9 too.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #729 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure * - 9 Inch Black Extension Cable

this seems to be the shortest extension cable i can find so far (9"), which is great, but they still have a straight connector!

it seems like world+dog makes straight connectors now (e.g. ue, changed their L-connectors to a straight connector with their new cables)

damn iphones......

Seems you have to go the DIY route and solder your own.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #730 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems you have to go the DIY route and solder your own.
wink.gif

haha...i'm definitely not confident in my soldering skills...i'll try and find one when i get back to hong kong. (currently studying in uk)

in the mean time, i bought an e5 from dealsexchange

now lets see whether the e5 or the pfe's arrive first

(off topic : my god they have weird stuff for sale, e.g. gsm signal jammers, wireless spy camera detectors..etc!)

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #731 of 2,281
Quote:

Thanks, very helpful. I may try to mod those tips (need to order some T500s first). Will T400s work? Seems their sound tube is too large. What about the OEM COmplys, the T130s. I bought a pack of them. Also, refresh my memory, did you remove the sound tube on the Comply and place them inside the silicone sleeve? Seems logical.

The advantage of using T-500 (made for UE TF10P etc.) is that they fit into the silicones as is: no need to remove the stem as their diameter is perfect for receiving the stem of the silicones. The hybrids fit the Phonaks perfectly because the inner diameter of the (Comply filled) silicones remains unchanged.

Quote:

I listen to much the same type of music. Love Vienna Teng, someone many people never heard of. Try out Emiliana Torrini, her new CD. Very nice.

Didn't know her yet, will be a pleasure to listen to. Thanks for the recommendation!

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #732 of 2,281
Quote:

I did give the gray filters three tries. Each time I returned to the black ones. This may have to do with the type of music I'm mainly listening to and with the quality of the recordings.

I have gone back and forth between filters twice now and i have similar sentiments. i have listened to music ranging from Opeth to Chopin, Alanis to Pendulum. The black filters are, i believe, the standard with these phones. I understand Audeo's intension to include different filters in the package, but IMO to ship the phones with the grey pre-installed might be misleading, especially for those who ever get to own them without tirelessly poring over this thread. Unless, of course its entirely a matter of opinion and i'm wasting your eye-ball-scans.
On the subject of source quality, i have listened to some 320 mp3s (80% of my CD's are at home, in another country - back then i knew nothing of FLAC
confused_face.gif
) and as precise as the PFEs are, with these tracks are they in no way unpleasant. the odd artifact will bother some, but if your audio collection consists mostly of mp3s, at least you can listen away to sub-perfect until you re-rip al your music
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #733 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not enough grip with ety tips :p

i haven't tried the olives yet, mainly because the ones that i've seen (that are in use) looks hideous (sorry)

and i second your last sentence
normal_smile .gif

Hope I never see those pictures, but functionality over looks since the only times you'll be looking at them are when you're not listening to them.

Also, I read in the IE8 vs. Phonak thread that the Shure Olives improves the bass and isolation. I always prefer a little more bass compared to the mids and highs.

Do all sizes of Shure Olives work with the Phonaks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, congratulations! I'm still excited to begin a serious listening session with mine.

About the filters, I think I know what you mean about the "worn" look. I've changed my filters 3 times and they do have that look although I don't believe any harm has come from it.

The upper frequency limit is actually around 17kHz. I did a crude test and I can confirm this. There isn't a huge amount of energy in music above 17kHz. Fine details reveal themselves at 17kHz~20kHz but there isn't much to miss with this limitation, IMO.

Have you ever experimented with frequency tests and/or tested for your hearing limits at this end?

As for the PFE being good for bassheads, well I am a slight basshead. I enjoy being slammed by a pair of 10" drivers in a sealed enclosure pushed by 380 watt RMS in my F-350 Super Duty regular cab...so yeah, right behind my seat!

I don't listen to rap but I do like what I refer to broadly as "Electronic". I'm no expert on the genre but I do have some varying types and many tracks have strong, deep bass...which is delivered faithfully with the PFE. I honestly could not ask for more bass quantity with the PFE. Bass quality is also very good. The PFE extends solidly down to 20Hz. based on my testing.

As several listeners have stated, the PFE does improve slightly with more power but not a must have.

The filters looked worn after putting them in for the first time. I kind of freaked out thinking I just ruined most of the filters.
redface.gif
Good to know that I didn't.

Yes, the 17Khz limitation only affected some sound effects that were part of the music. I don't think they were instruments. I do miss those parts though.

I've never done frequency tests for the Phonaks or my hearing. I did hear what I thought to be very low bass. Can't describe it. I had trouble hearing it through the other instruments, but I knew it was there. I don't think I heard that part in the song with my old pair of 'phones though.

I'm surprised that 130$ IEMs are the same size as 30$ ones, but sound so much better. I thought they would be bigger.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #735 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope I never see those pictures, but functionality over looks since the only times you'll be looking at them are when you're not listening to them.

Also, I read in the IE8 vs. Phonak thread that the Shure Olives improves the bass and isolation. I always prefer a little more bass compared to the mids and highs.

Do all sizes of Shure Olives work with the Phonaks?

The filters looked worn after putting them in for the first time. I kind of freaked out thinking I just ruined most of the filters.
redface.gif
Good to know that I didn't.

Yes, the 17Khz limitation only affected some sound effects that were part of the music. I don't think they were instruments. I do miss those parts though.

I've never done frequency tests for the Phonaks or my hearing. I did hear what I thought to be very low bass. Can't describe it. I had trouble hearing it through the other instruments, but I knew it was there. I don't think I heard that part in the song with my old pair of 'phones though.

I'm surprised that 130$ IEMs are the same size as 30$ ones, but sound so much better. I thought they would be bigger.

i believe all the various sizes of olives do work on the phonaks, since the hole in the centre is the same size (i think)...and i just feel that foams are more dirty than silicones :p but yea, functionality over form, i guess i should try them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back