Phonak Audeo?
Feb 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #736 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have gone back and forth between filters twice now and i have similar sentiments. i have listened to music ranging from Opeth to Chopin, Alanis to Pendulum. The black filters are, i believe, the standard with these phones. I understand Audeo's intension to include different filters in the package, but IMO to ship the phones with the grey pre-installed might be misleading, especially for those who ever get to own them without tirelessly poring over this thread. Unless, of course its entirely a matter of opinion and i'm wasting your eye-ball-scans.
On the subject of source quality, i have listened to some 320 mp3s (80% of my CD's are at home, in another country - back then i knew nothing of FLAC
confused_face.gif
) and as precise as the PFEs are, with these tracks are they in no way unpleasant. the odd artifact will bother some, but if your audio collection consists mostly of mp3s, at least you can listen away to sub-perfect until you re-rip al your music
tongue_smile.gif

I have to say, after listening to a variety of tracks with the PFEs, it seems so much to be dependent on the original mastering, not the bit rate. As Average_Joe said in his IE8/PFE review, poorly sounding tracks sound just as poor at FLAC. And some rips at 192k that were mastered/produced well sound fantastic with the PFEs. Guess I am not saying anything new.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #737 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say, after listening to a variety of tracks with the PFEs, it seems so much to be dependent on the original mastering, not the bit rate. As Average_Joe said in his IE8/PFE review, poorly sounding tracks sound just as poor at FLAC. And some rips at 192k that were mastered/produced well sound fantastic with the PFEs. Guess I am not saying anything new.

Absolutely, a point which i find comes in to question with some live recordings especially.
I struggle to listen to badly produced recordings unless they're old favourites, so i assume this goes without saying
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #738 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did give the gray filters three tries. Each time I returned to the black ones. This may have to do with the type of music I'm mainly listening to and with the quality of the recordings. These days more than 75 percent of my listening is dedicated to vocal Jazz and Alternative, that is Kari Bremnes, Christie Baron, Patricia Barber, Cassandra Wilson, Sara K., Vienna Teng, and the like. These recordings tend to be of a pretty high quality. To me the black filters deliver all the details beautifully and without being overly bright, hard or cold. I love acoustic bass; the black filters render it in a marvellous and spectacular way. It's just like the real thing. Regarding Sennheiser IE8: the Phonaks are slightly more detailed even with black filters. I do like the IE8s, too, despite of the overemphasized midbass, but I'd honestly be surprised if those prefering the gray filters on the Phonaks would be happy with the IE8s.
smile.gif

OK, so I switched back to the black filters and to me, there is less detail with the PFE and the black filters than with the IE8. To me, it is really noticeable in the treble, somewhat noticeable in the bass, and slightly noticeable in the mids.

And I have been comparing the PFE w/grey and IE8 on my Fuze EQing for the PFE. When I switched back to the black filters and didn't use the EQ, wow, a big difference in bass impact and fullness. I like the PFE w/grey EQed better than with the black un-EQed, as w/grey EQed sounds much closer to my IE8. It really is a toss-up from my Fuze with certain songs sounding slightly better on each.

Now, from computer, I still prefer the IE8s, they make the music more fun, entertaining, and engaging. I need to stop obsessing over which one is better and just enjoy them more
ksc75smile.gif

Again, different people hear things differently. I found out I have large ear canal openings, so maybe the PFEs go further in my ears, changing the sound cavity dynamics. Who knows. I know if I didn't have the IE8, I would be very happy with the PFEs.

And I agree that people that use the PFE with the grey filters un-EQed probably wouldn't like the IE8s that much, I know I don't
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #739 of 2,281
Good to know that all sizes of Olives should work. Are the medium Olives the same as the medium silicones? Seems like a stupid question yes, but I would like to know before I order some. Don't want to end up with the wrong size.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #740 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely, a point which i find comes in to question with some live recordings especially.
I struggle to listen to badly produced recordings unless they're old favourites, so i assume this goes without saying
tongue.gif

Some of my old favorites are not my favorites with my IE8s or PFEs, they just sound too bad. And of course, with a worse headphone, they still sound bad
frown.gif
Good thing there is so much good music out there!

And actually my Queensryche example isn't the best (but I think made my point), as I have plenty of CDs that sound much worse, even in FLAC.

Now off to re-rip my Metallica collection
L3000.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #742 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read all those pages (I'm too lazy(to search for a webshop)) so can someone tell me on which (european) webshop those phonak audeos are the cheapest

I read almost all the threads about this IEM and I searched even on the web for shops but I could find just one that is in north europe!

I would like to know if some guys here know some shops more!

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #743 of 2,281
They're cheapest on Audeo's site with the SAVE10 coupon.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #745 of 2,281
Yes. And use the SAVE10 coupon.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #746 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. And use the SAVE10 coupon.

I checked but unfortunately at present the online store is available just for US and Canada!

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #747 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so I switched back to the black filters and to me, there is less detail with the PFE and the black filters than with the IE8. To me, it is really noticeable in the treble, somewhat noticeable in the bass, and slightly noticeable in the mids.

And I have been comparing the PFE w/grey and IE8 on my Fuze EQing for the PFE. When I switched back to the black filters and didn't use the EQ, wow, a big difference in bass impact and fullness. I like the PFE w/grey EQed better than with the black un-EQed, as w/grey EQed sounds much closer to my IE8. It really is a toss-up from my Fuze with certain songs sounding slightly better on each.

Now, from computer, I still prefer the IE8s, they make the music more fun, entertaining, and engaging. I need to stop obsessing over which one is better and just enjoy them more
ksc75smile.gif

Again, different people hear things differently. I found out I have large ear canal openings, so maybe the PFEs go further in my ears, changing the sound cavity dynamics. Who knows. I know if I didn't have the IE8, I would be very happy with the PFEs.

And I agree that people that use the PFE with the grey filters un-EQed probably wouldn't like the IE8s that much, I know I don't
biggrin.gif

I agree with you about black filters. I found the lack of detail and clarity was very noticeable in vocals, that's what decided me to stay with the grey ones.
Which EQ do you use with the Fuze? Jazz mode is pretty well balanced to me, i used to custom the EQ before because there was always too much bass, but here with the Phonaks bass is tight and vocals are forward, i like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #748 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is interesting. Either my IE8s with about 60 hours of use haven't opened up fully yet or my brain hasn't burned in enough: As of now, to my ears the Phonaks with black filters, silicone hybrid tips and amped (Corda Move or Shellbrook Minihead Sig) provide more detail in the high frequency range. Low bass is +/- a tie, regarding the mids I see some advantage for the IE8s as they are really amazingly naturally sounding. The largest difference I perceive is in the midbass band where the Senns are much fuller and have stronger attack (no wonder with a plus of almost 10 dB above the level of 1 kHz
wink.gif
). With some music this is is great, with other this is too much for my gusto.

Could it be that those who perceive a lack of detail with black filters are using the Comply foamies that came with the Phonaks? I suspect that these tend to muffle the high frequencies. Reversed Shure black foam olives don't do that. They sound almost as good as the silicone T-500 composites.

Regarding the IE8s I'm curious how things (IEMs, brains
smile.gif
) develop in the days and weeks to come.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #750 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting. Either my IE8s with about 60 hours of use haven't opened up fully yet or my brain hasn't burned in enough: As of now, to my ears the Phonaks with black filters, silicone hybrid tips and amped (Corda Move or Shellbrook Minihead Sig) provide more detail in the high frequency range. Low bass is +/- a tie, regarding the mids I see some advantage for the IE8s as they are really amazingly naturally sounding. The largest difference I perceive is in the midbass band where the Senns are much fuller and have stronger attack (no wonder with a plus of almost 10 dB above the level of 1 kHz
wink.gif
). With some music this is is great, with other this is too much for my gusto.

Could it be that those who perceive a lack of detail with black filters are using the Comply foamies that came with the Phonaks? I suspect that these tend to muffle the high frequencies. Reversed Shure black foam olives don't do that. They sound almost as good as the silicone T-500 composites.

Regarding the IE8s I'm curious how things (IEMs, brains
smile.gif
) develop in the days and weeks to come.

Apparently the IE8s need at least 150 hours to burn in before they open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back