Phonak Audeo?
Feb 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #766 of 2,281
I bought a 3% solution in the drug store.
smily_headphones1.gif

For soaking I used the plastic cap of a bottle of shaving cream or something, big enough to hold 4 foamies. Pushed the foamies down with a Caipirinha lemon masher until no more air bubbles were to be seen, and waited for an hour.
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #768 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of my old favorites are not my favorites with my IE8s or PFEs, they just sound too bad. And of course, with a worse headphone, they still sound bad
frown.gif
Good thing there is so much good music out there!

And actually my Queensryche example isn't the best (but I think made my point), as I have plenty of CDs that sound much worse, even in FLAC.

Now off to re-rip my Metallica collection
L3000.gif

That is the problem with high quality audio. You soon discover that a lot of music out there is very badly mastered, some highly compressed to fit more songs on a disc...etc.

FLAC and lossless codecs should give you exactly what is on the CD that's why they are called lossless, meaning no loss of quality.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #769 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T

Could it be that those who perceive a lack of detail with black filters are using the Comply foamies that came with the Phonaks? I suspect that these tend to muffle the high frequencies. Reversed Shure black foam olives don't do that. They sound almost as good as the silicone T-500 composites.

I have used both filters with the silicone tips only exclusively so far. I prefer the Grey filters by a long shot.

I started using the Comply's with the Grey filter just now. I like the isolation and the bass is more pronounced. I'll switch to the Silicones later this afternoon to see what difference I notice.

So far I prefer the Grey and Silicone combination the best. I am giving the Comply a fair shake.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #770 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used both filters with the silicone tips only exclusively so far. I prefer the Grey filters by a long shot.

I started using the Comply's with the Grey filter just now. I like the isolation and the bass is more pronounced. I'll switch to the Silicones later this afternoon to see what difference I notice.

So far I prefer the Grey and Silicone combination the best. I am giving the Comply a fair shake.

The black filters turn them into a Sennheiser, and the Grey turn them into a Grado ;P

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #771 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

For soaking I used the plastic cap of a bottle of shaving cream or something, big enough to hold 4 foamies. Pushed the foamies down with a Caipirinha lemon masher until no more air bubbles were to be seen, and waited for an hour.
tongue.gif

WIN! Gonna have to use this trick before I spend the money on more comply's...

nG

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #772 of 2,281
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif

You seem like a guy who would use a nice brush and some shaving soap.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #773 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I the only person that thinks the black filters reduce the detail level?

I tried using the grey filters, didn't like the sound sig vs. the IE8, went back to the black, and felt like something was missing (detail and sound stage), and I still like the sound sig of the IE8s better. So I tried EQing with the grey filters and still like the IE8 better, plus I don't feel the need to EQ.

Oh, and the tips, trying the silicon again made me realize I do prefer the comply tips.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #774 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem like a guy who would use a nice brush and some shaving soap.

Nope, shaving is just a hassle, not a ritual for me. Pic: Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Profile: dfkt

wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only person that thinks the black filters reduce the detail level?

Not for me... they still sound more detailed than most other phones with the black filters to my ears. (I mostly use the stock silicon tips.)

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #775 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Wondered about that 3 percent thing. Off to the drug store.

Don't forget that dfkt lives in Austria. I wonder if you'll be able to get the same 3% solution here in the USA?

If you do, please tell us where you got it, brand, etc.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #777 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget that dfkt lives in Austria. I wonder if you'll be able to get the same 3% solution here in the USA?

If you do, please tell us where you got it, brand, etc.

That solution is a common disinfectant (it can change the percentage in the solution), the "hydrogen peroxide" is just the chemical name, if you go to the supermarket you don't find it with that name!
biggrin.gif

In italy we call "oxygened water", it makes even the hairs become blonde (white blonde) so be careful!

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #778 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The black filters turn them into a Sennheiser, and the Grey turn them into a Grado ;P

Someone had to say it eventually
o2smile.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #779 of 2,281
Quote:

Not for me... they still sound more detailed than most other phones with the black filters to my ears. (I mostly use the stock silicon tips.)

I second that. Stock silicons too.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #780 of 2,281
Same here. I just can't get used to the gray ones. I use both silicone and Comply, and like both. But I am going to try out that mod from dfkt. It is pretty amazing that the filters can make such an a difference. Two phones for the price of one. I guess some folks are rankled by all the fuss over these phones, but every time I check to see if I am nuts/exaggerating, I really enjoy hearing them again (with the black filters). I just believe they will become the leading mid-priced IEM, if more people could get access to them (listening Phonak?). I know the IE8s, TF10s, etc., of the world are higher quality IEMs, but I just like the clarity and detail so much. Sorry for being repetitive.

I would love to check out the IE8s because of the comparisons being made, but just can't spend the bucks any more. Will have to be happy with these and the W3s/X10s. Not a bad deal, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back