Phonak Audeo?
Feb 3, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #796 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
newbie here, can anyone advise me whether how frequent filters are needed to be change?

I assume one could clean the filters by soaking them in hydrogen peroxide as well. The mesh looks like plastic, so it should hold up well.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #797 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by FightOnBoLT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in need of a new set of IEM's, and I wanna ditch the ol' crappy stock Apple ones that came with my iPod.

After much research on this website, and countless others, I have narrowed down my search to a choice of 3 IEM's, and I can only afford one!

1st: Atrio M5/M8's...I heard these were good all around, but what worries me is the size of the buds themselves, and how bulky or funny looking they will be in my ears, and EXACTLY how hard is it to get these into your ears? Is it really that hard??? Future Sonics Atrio M5 / M8 Review

2nd: Phonak Audeo PFE's...I like just about everything I hear about these, except for the weird fit in your ear can hurt a bit if they don't fit your ear perfect and can almost "dig" into parts of your ear cause their more blocky than round. Phonak Audéo PFE (Perfect Fit Earphone) Review

3rd: Jays Q-JAYS...I was originally looking at these because people said the bass and mid was better than the ER4's, but not quite as good of treble. It also intrigued me that they are small like the hf5's. Again, problems with these are I've heard is microphonic cables, and can be more sibilant than Ety's. JAYS q-JAYS Review

I mainly listen to a lot of rock, acoustic, and some R & B: Metallica, Airborne Toxic Event, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, 30 Seconds to Mars, the Beatles, Less Than Jake, Linkin Park, Sublime, etc.

I want these to be able to be used for everyday use, from sitting at home, to walking around, to exercising!

So...after my research, that's kinda what it boils down to for me. Any suggestions which way I should go? Please?????

Well, I owned the Atrios (v1, not enough mid/high focus for me), which are kinda bulby. But I had no problems with fit using the Shure yellow foamies or olives. The FS foamies are very comfy (two sizes), but not very durable. I never like the flanges, but they are very soft too, and some swear by them.
Sound-wise, it's all about the bass, as they are dynamic drivers. You can EQ the mids/highs too.

The PFEs are a different animal. Clear, clean precise mids and highs, and accurate bass (which also can be EQ'd up). No need to go into detail, since this thread is loaded with it.

As for Q-Jays, I know some owners prefer the PFEs over the Q-Jays, and with the Save10 code, the PFEs are less money and can be used with iPhone or Touch.

Also, with the PFEs, you get two phones, depending on the filter. As HPAddict describes it, you get Senns with the black filters and Grados with the gray filters.

There has been some recent chat about filters being fragile, and that might be true. But many PFE owners haven't settled on which filter they prefer, so there has been a lot of unnecessary changing (I am guilty as well), so that could be part of the problem. I've gone back and forth, and have settled on the black filters for my tastes. So once you choose, then the only time you'd be changing the filters is when you replace them.

Your musical tastes overlap with mine, and I would say if deep bass is critical, then maybe a dynamic is best for you. There is no shortage of excellent bass with the PFEs, believe me. Just not as deep and pronounced as the Atrios.

Hope this helps.

Oh, almost forgot. I believe Martin (dfkt) has some fit issues, but to me, the PFEs are very, very comfy.

Best of all, you get the 14-day money back guarantee, no hassles (I hope, but I won't be finding out).

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #798 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.... hesitating on purchase though i made an order. coz of these filter stuff and loop over ear style (i wearing glasses).

considering UE superfi 5 v2 but budget constraint. after reading pages n pages, was thinking of getting an exotic entry of IEM world for a try.

PS: never audition both b4 though.

Give them a shot first, since you already ordered them (I think that's what you are saying). Wearing glasses has no impact on the over the ear look (I wear them with both the PFEs and the Westone 3s, not a problem). The filter issue might be attributable to many new PFE owners (including me) going back and forth between the black and gray filters as they try to decide which one they like best. Doesn't mean they aren't fragile, but once you have decided (I finally chose the black filters), they stay put until they need to be replaced.

I owned the UE SF5 v2, and sent them back in a week. To me, dull/boring IEMs. Not really on par with the PFEs. And as noted, you get two phones with the PFEs, depending on the filter you choose. Nice option to have.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #799 of 2,281
I just noticed i have a better soundstage with my Vaio Pocket compared to my Sansa Clip. I guess the Fiio E5 might help the Clip
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #801 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, almost forgot. I believe Martin (dfkt) has some fit issues, but to me, the PFEs are very, very comfy.

Yeah, seems I'm really the only one that complains about certain fit issues (not the whole fit in general). I should clarify that in my review, since it seems I'm the only one nitpicking on that issue.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #802 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, seems I'm really the only one that complains about certain fit issues (not the whole fit in general). I should clarify that in my review, since it seems I'm the only one nitpicking on that issue.

Are you wearing them like it stated in the manual? When I first purchased these I wore them completly wrong I had a sort of pokey feeling from the bottom part. I pushed/forced them to go deeper in my ear for better isolation. Resulting in a uncomftable ouch feeling make sure the top were the cable emits from is sticking straight up. As stated in the manual.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #803 of 2,281
Well I ordered a pair of the black Phonaks with the microphone for next day delivery. If anyone wants to know where they can order them in the UK let me know and I can tell you the various distributors. Not in London for another week. Couldn't wait.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #804 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give them a shot first, since you already ordered them (I think that's what you are saying). Wearing glasses has no impact on the over the ear look (I wear them with both the PFEs and the Westone 3s, not a problem). The filter issue might be attributable to many new PFE owners (including me) going back and forth between the black and gray filters as they try to decide which one they like best. Doesn't mean they aren't fragile, but once you have decided (I finally chose the black filters), they stay put until they need to be replaced.

I owned the UE SF5 v2, and sent them back in a week. To me, dull/boring IEMs. Not really on par with the PFEs. And as noted, you get two phones with the PFEs, depending on the filter you choose. Nice option to have.

thanks... I ordered the Phonaks but still waiting for my order confirmation from them (kind of slow). I have to wait 2 weeks for a black one though...
frown.gif

cant wait to plunge them into my lonely ears...

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #806 of 2,281
To me the PFE are easier to insert than the Westone, and they're very comfortable with the silicon tips, you really don't feel them. With Shure olives it's less comfortable but isolation and SQ are improved, plus the fit is very secured withing using earguides. However maybe they're not so comfortable for sleeping as Martin stated, didn't really try though.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #808 of 2,281
I think PFEs are just as comfortable as SE530. I could wear them and still go to sleep without feeling uncomfortable.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #810 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think PFEs are just as comfortable as SE530. I could wear them and still go to sleep without feeling uncomfortable.

Did you do a review (mini or otherwise) of the PFEs? I will look back, but your impressive collection makes me wonder where you rank them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back