Phonak Audeo?
Feb 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #706 of 2,281
would amp-ing it with something like a fiio e5 make any difference to it with an ipod classic?

i mean the volume is loud enough, but will it improve the sq?

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #707 of 2,281
I only have the FiiO E3 - it makes them sound worse in my opinion (paired with a Sansa Clip). Sucks out the detail, sparkle, and makes the soundstage smaller. They deserve a better amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #708 of 2,281
Well, it won't hurt or degrade the sound (my experience only), and may improve for you it at very low cost. The E5 has a bass boost button on it, which can be nice on some tracks. To me, spending $20 to find out is worth it. Just seems and amp gives the PFEs a little added robustness. However, with the Touch, they sound great and plenty loud without an amp. I also use the bass boost on the Touch, and while I know the iPod EQ sucks, it adds a nice bass bump and doesn't distort (well, on 90 percent of my tracks. Some rap/hip-hop does require me to turn off the bass boost due to distortion). I just seem to prefer an amp for the Clip and Zune, cause they just have a hard time playing loud enough on those DAPs, but not the Touch or Sony. Mystery to me as to why.

I see Martin's view on the E3 counters mine (on the E5 at least), but I don't get that result from the E5. Guess you have to find out for yourself.

Now, when I use the PFEs with my high quality amp and LOD and the Touch, wow is all I can same. You could run an LOD through the E5, which also sounds better than using HP out, of course. But a quality LOD cable will probably cost more than you want to spend.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #709 of 2,281
the main reason for me to think about a cheap amp like that is, well, quite silly, actually. i don't like the straight 3.5mm connector, as i had unhappy experiences with them (connections inside break easily when i unintentionally bend the connector - exactly the reason i sent my pair can for exchange). i would like to try look for a short, say, 20-30mm extension cord, but that is terribly hard. so i was thinking, if i can clip the e5 right above my butt (sorry) , then i won't have to worry about bending the connector in my front jeans pocket

this sounds waay stupider now that i said it out loud

lol

anywhere i can get a very short extension cable online?

and also, what does LOD stand for? i guess it means a cable from ipod's socket to a 3.5mm connector?

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #710 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see Martin's view on the E3 counters mine (on the E5 at least), but I don't get that result from the E5. Guess you have to find out for yourself.

It certainly might be that the E5 is quite a bit better than the E3. Furthermore I have to say that my brain isn't "burned in" on the FiiO sound - lately I never really used it, only tested the sound for a short while. So yeah, guess I shouldn't judge the E5 by the E3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #711 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the main reason for me to think about a cheap amp like that is, well, quite silly, actually. i don't like the straight 3.5mm connector, as i had unhappy experiences with them (connections inside break easily when i unintentionally bend the connector - exactly the reason i sent my pair can for exchange). i would like to try look for a short, say, 20-30mm extension cord, but that is terribly hard. so i was thinking, if i can clip the e5 right above my butt (sorry) , then i won't have to worry about bending the connector in my front jeans pocket

this sounds waay stupider now that i said it out loud

lol

anywhere i can get a very short extension cable online?

and also, what does LOD stand for? i guess it means a cable from ipod's socket to a 3.5mm connector?

Might something like that help? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Mini_to.html

LOD means Line Out Dock.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #712 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might something like that help? Hosa Technology | GMP272 Male Mini to Female Mini | GMP-272

LOD means Line Out Dock.

similar but i don't really want such a big thing on my ipod...so sort of a last resort if i really can't find a short extension cable, but thanks a lot!

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #713 of 2,281
Since I don't use the E5 all that much, this discussion has led me to hook it up to the Clip with a Cardas mini to mini and do some listening. Cassiohui, I will let you know how it sounds by end of the day. Also, LOD is line out dock, which is a cable you can buy (Lil' Knight, a head-fi'er, made mine) to use out of an iPod (or any DAP with that capability, Zunes and Clips don't have that option) that goes into you amp, rather than using the headphone out.

With the E5, you can go either way, as is the case with any amp (except some of the cheaper CMOYs and E3, which have no volume control).

Anyway, they also make LOD docks for iPod, which require just a mini to mini cable. But I have no experience with them.

Update:

I did a very quick comparo, and I really feel the E5 doesn't take away from the PFEs or degrade them (listened to bits and pieces of several genres of music). I used a good quality (Cardas) mini to mini, with the Clip (at max volume) and the E5 bass boost on, and it sounded excellent. I am using the black filters and medium silicone sleeves on the PFEs. I then went straight to headphone out, and didn't find any appreciable difference in SQ, detail. But of course, that's all my ears. YMMV.

You idea isn't dumb at all, as long as the E5 doesn't degrade the PFE sound, and it doesn't for me.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #714 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phonaks came in yesterday, and I have to say they're great!...

Changing filters the first couple of times was a bit of a hassle before getting the hang of it. Should the filters be kind of white (I guess you could say worn) around the sides after I put them in for the first time? Every set I put in, except for a pair of greys, were like that after putting them in.

I am a bit urk'd about the frequency response only going up to 17Khz. Parts of some songs are missing because of this. While listening, I'm expecting to hear something in the next few seconds that I would normally hear, but I end up going "Hey, where is it?". I'm not exactly excited about this, but, from the looks of it, this isn't much of a problem for everybody else. Does the frequency bother anyone else, or am I alone on this?

First of all, congratulations! I'm still excited to begin a serious listening session with mine.

About the filters, I think I know what you mean about the "worn" look. I've changed my filters 3 times and they do have that look although I don't believe any harm has come from it.

The upper frequency limit is actually around 17kHz. I did a crude test and I can confirm this. There isn't a huge amount of energy in music above 17kHz. Fine details reveal themselves at 17kHz~20kHz but there isn't much to miss with this limitation, IMO.

Have you ever experimented with frequency tests and/or tested for your hearing limits at this end?

As for the PFE being good for bassheads, well I am a slight basshead. I enjoy being slammed by a pair of 10" drivers in a sealed enclosure pushed by 380 watt RMS in my F-350 Super Duty regular cab...so yeah, right behind my seat!

I don't listen to rap but I do like what I refer to broadly as "Electronic". I'm no expert on the genre but I do have some varying types and many tracks have strong, deep bass...which is delivered faithfully with the PFE. I honestly could not ask for more bass quantity with the PFE. Bass quality is also very good. The PFE extends solidly down to 20Hz. based on my testing.

As several listeners have stated, the PFE does improve slightly with more power but not a must have.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #715 of 2,281
Quote:

Since I don't use the E5 all that much, this discussion has led me to hook it up to the Clip with a Cardas mini to mini and do some listening. Cassiohui, I will let you know how it sounds by end of the day. Also, LOD is line out dock, which is a cable you can buy (Lil' Knight, a head-fi'er, made mine) to use out of an iPod (or any DAP with that capability, Zunes and Clips don't have that option) that goes into you amp, rather than using the headphone out.

With the E5, you can go either way, as is the case with any amp (except some of the cheaper CMOYs and E3, which have no volume control).

Anyway, they also make LOD docks for iPod, which require just a mini to mini cable. But I have no experience with them.

You idea isn't dumb at all, as long as the E5 doesn't degrade the PFE sound. I don't beluieve it does, but I will verify today.

thank you very much!

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #718 of 2,281
Quote:

Check my updated post. Did some quick listening.

thanks a lot!

so it doesn't add anything, but doesn't take anything away either (if i understood that correctly :p)

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #719 of 2,281
Quote:

similar but i don't really want such a big thing on my ipod...so sort of a last resort if i really can't find a short extension cable, but thanks a lot!

Check out this site for some extensions.

iPod and MP3 player cables, Stereo RCA mini phone plug

If you end up getting the e5, here's the Cardas cable I use. The headroom ones are cheaper. I would not use the E5 oem cable. The Cardas and Headroom cables are L shaped.

Cardas 6 inch Mini to Mini cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #720 of 2,281
Quote:

thanks a lot!

does it add anything though?

No, pretty neutral SQ-wise with mini to mini and E5. The LOD connection does improve the Phonak sound, but that may be more the way you are listening (bypassing the HP out) as much as anything else. I think using that approach with an amp almost has to boost SQ somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back