Phonak Audeo?
Jan 31, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #678 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fell for some FOTM phones earlier (Mylarones, V-Modas, etc), but I'm probably partially at fault for the FOTM-like (yet not so much participation by head-fi members) attention the Phonaks get at the moment.

I never was a fan of "anemic" phones, but always liked precision. So far the Phonaks are sure to stay, since they really cater to a larger audience than the Etymotics or q-Jays, as I see it.

Guilty here too (V-Moda, mainly) of FOTM-itis. But many of the phones I bought and liked ...ER4P, er6i, Atrio, SA6, Yuins...remain some of the go-to phones in their price ranges/sound genre. Heck, we all make mistakes

I also agree, because of their outstanding value and quality, I think the pfe phones will not fade into the sunset. If Q-Jays, Etys, etc., have a market, then the pfes will have a market. If they start falling apart (V-Moda) or change their sound (V-Moda Gen 2), or something like that, maybe they will fade. But to me, for their price (and with the addition of an amp, even a FiiO), they really provide addictive impact tomy music.

In a related matter, I just had something happen connected to the pfe. I recently got to a point where I favored them over the Westone 3s. I still find they deliver more clarity. But one of the issues with the W3s, as everyone knows, is fit. I just could not get it right on the sleeve front, and the results were uneven, at best. So today, I sat down with both phones, doing more comparing, and I kept changing tips on the W3s.

Well, I ended up with a Comply P Series standard sleeve in my right ear, and a Comply T-100 small sleeve in my left. Now these two tips have an amazing size difference. But for some reason, they worked for me with the W3s. How did I decide to try the two sizes?

I have an old set of custom sleeves, made by Future Sonics, which don't seem to work very well with any of my current phones (got them for the old EM3s). I tried them with the Atrios and Westones, but no go. I did, however notice how different the insertion tubes were, hardly even close to symmetric. That gave me the idea...my ear canals are so freaking different, maybe I should mess around with the extremes. Ta-Da!

The W3s no longer deliver that touch of harshness, and they are not so bass-heavy as to bury the mids and highs (something that the flanges caused, even though they eliminated any sibilance). I do have to use the W3s mainly with my Clip/Sony/Touch, because I do need to EQ the mids/highs just a wee bit. But they do sound much better than before.

So that's good.

Even so, when I listen side by side, while the W3s are improved and I do like them, I still prefer the pfe sound (when amped with the MiniboxE+ or even a FiiO). Without an amp, it's much closer, but that pfe clarity/transparency is very, very hard to trump.

Sorry for the long post. But it was an interesting series of events with the W3.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #679 of 2,281
Here's what I've gathered through reading.

W3 = $400
IE8 = ~$300
SE530 = ~$350
PFE = $125

Verdict - PFE narrowly beats the W3 (VERY narrowly, as certain people still prefer the W3), beats the SE530, and is just barely trumped by the IE8 (after one or two hundred hours of burn-in). Also, I did not include the Ety's because the Phonak apparently does everything they do and more, therefore making them practically obsolete in comparison.

So, in order of "best to worst" by popular consensus:

IE8 = ~$300
PFE = $125
W3 = $400
SE530 = ~$350

I give you, the NEW Big 4. Which do YOU think is the better buy?

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #680 of 2,281
/me stuffs the UE11 into his ears and doesn't want to hear rational thoughts...

biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #681 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what I've gathered through reading.

W3 = $400
IE8 = ~$300
SE530 = ~$350
PFE = $125

Verdict - PFE narrowly beats the W3 (VERY narrowly, as certain people still prefer the W3), beats the SE530, and is just barely trumped by the IE8 (after one or two hundred hours of burn-in). Also, I did not include the Ety's because the Phonak apparently does everything they do and more, therefore making them practically obsolete in comparison.

So, in order of "best to worst" by popular consensus:

IE8 = ~$300
PFE = $125
W3 = $400
SE530 = ~$350

I give you, the NEW Big 4. Which do YOU think is the better buy?

That's pretty good. That's what I've gathered from this past week of reading.

At this point I'd like to buy the IE8 but my wallet laughs at me.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #682 of 2,281
Well lets hope it will push the other companies to improve on their designs and prices. The PFE appears from peoples experiences to have no microphonics, a cable that let us hope will not split like the SE530 will, good isolation unlike many find with the IE8, and a price of over 3 times less than the W3. Looks to be a serious winner. I will be ordering mine as soon as they hit my shores.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #684 of 2,281
I hope the PFE cable is similar to the old (a.k.a. not shiny silver) Skullcandy FMJ cable. That cable is the best I have ever seen or used. Soft and almost velvety to the point where you KNOW just by feeling it that it won't split, never tangles, thick, doesn't even get little kinks in it after being tightly shoved into a claustrophobic case, etc.

The only thing making me think the PFE cable might be different is because it looks shiny in the pictures. The FMJ cable was not shiny.

EDIT: Are the buttons at the bottom of posts stacked on top of each other for anyone else?

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #685 of 2,281
yep, I think the PFE will be my only universal (unless they release a multi driver one). When you have to spend at least twice as much for a tiny upgrade then its not worth it to me. I think my next will be some customs. I emailed Phonak if they have any plans for multi driver universals or a custom
tongue.gif

Also the cable on the PFE is extremely good, I've never had a problem with tangling and its quite thick.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #686 of 2,281
Does the PFE's cable have that typical "semi-stiffness", or is it soft and floppy (which I love)?

EDIT: I just read my post. That is a very awkward choice of words.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #687 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the PFE's cable have that typical "semi-stiffness", or is it soft and floppy (which I love)?

EDIT: I just read my post. That is a very awkward choice of words.

Dude!
ph34r.gif

I would rate the cable as soft and...um, yeah...it has a nice feel to it.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back