Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #646 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly how I have my PFEs set up, and I agree 100 percent. The IE8 soundstage is apart from the pack, but I still get the yen to hear the PFEs with that same exact setup. How anyone could call the PFEs thin and/or too analytic hearing them under those conditions could only mean they are not getting a good seal. I find that I need to move the medium silicones around a bit, but once you hit the sweet spot for a good seal, the sound is fantastic.

Great thing with the T4 is that paired with the sony s639 it is a really small package to carry around. I said a while ago that i wouldnt have any more portable amps but after reading your posts on the t4 with the pfe's i couldnt resist. No regrets though!

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #647 of 3,305
I'm back to the grays with medium silicon.

The blacks are fun and have a very smooth sound overall. Definitely a warmness to them. I listened for a week and enjoyed the heck out of them. I'm now liking the grays for the detail and how open the sound is.

These little gems are simply addicting equally with both filters! I think the only upgrade to these would be the ESX and the UE11. And that is a HUGE jump in price (which I'll probably take eventually to UE11), but the PFEs do everything well and don't make me miss anything.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #648 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by McCol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thing with the T4 is that paired with the sony s639 it is a really small package to carry around. I said a while ago that i wouldnt have any more portable amps but after reading your posts on the t4 with the pfe's i couldnt resist. No regrets though!

Good to know. I have to credit GreatDane, HPAddict, dfkt and others for leading me to the T4. The size is fantastic, as it's also a good match with the tiny Clip. I wish I had the skills to mod the T4 (dfkt did some sort of added bass boost), which might get me back to the gray filters. But I like the black filters just fine. The cool thing is you can return to the grays, as Rob did with the blacks, and get a different sound. Been said before, but like having two IEMs almost.

I agree Rob. People bashing the PFEs either disliked them to be different/contrary, or just really never heard them. I'd say the evidence (based on happy users vs. unhappy ones) is pretty impressive. Now, they just need to get that driver housing cracking thing under control.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #649 of 3,305
Quote:

Good to know. I have to credit GreatDane, HPAddict, dfkt and others for leading me to the T4. The size is fantastic, as it's also a good match with the tiny Clip. I wish I had the skills to mod the T4 (dfkt did some sort of added bass boost), which might get me back to the gray filters. But I like the black filters just fine. The cool thing is you can return to the grays, as Rob did with the blacks, and get a different sound. Been said before, but like having two IEMs almost.

I agree Rob. People bashing the PFEs either disliked them to be different/contrary, or just really never heard them. I'd say the evidence (based on happy users vs. unhappy ones) is pretty impressive. Now, they just need to get that driver housing cracking thing under control.

My first pair was defective for sure, Even before the left channel went south, the sound was so weak even with the touch at full volume. With my new pair I'm getting good volume levels and bass straight out of the touch. I have the volume at about 80% and it's plenty loud and bassy. I still like what an amp does with PFK and eagerly await my t4- I should have it today.
icon10.gif

No complaints at all very impressed! I do notice you really have to get a perfect seal with these to have deep bass, which you really don't with the bass strong ie8. Primus is sounding fine!

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #650 of 3,305
At 80 percent with the the Touch (and no amp) is about the same for me, and yesterday I did a non-amp listen with the black filters and med gray sleeves and there was plenty of bass. I do use the bass boost on the Touch too, and it sounds good on most tracks, but it's not mandatory for good bass. It is about the seal, I honestly believe.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #652 of 3,305
I saw your customs. Very interesting. And that sort of proves the point (about seal and bass response), thanks. I believe people who say they are thin are not getting a good seal, even though they believe they are. Agree? Do you amp the PFEs too? Just curious.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #653 of 3,305
Unbelievably I still have all 4 original black filters and 3 of the original grey filters. Once I was closing the filter case and a grey popped out of it's socket and got crushed as I closed the case. I bought a spare 8-pack of both colors and haven't had to use any of them yet.

Right now I have the black filters with grey silicone tips back in them. It's like having two different IEM in one.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #654 of 3,305
So I think I've just got a good seal with PFE
smily_headphones1.gif
The sound is much better, and with "tutorial" above, I think i am at last gonna be amazed by these
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanx for advice, I didnt know that I had to insert them so deep :p
// edit: I wonder how to join Phonak club or what is it :p

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #655 of 3,305
That is the key in my view. I get them in there so they literally are sealing off he ear canal on the inside, so to speak. These phones do not work with the "outer" ear canal seal approach, as the W3 and the IE8s can (for some, but not all people).

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #656 of 3,305
Quote:

I saw your customs. Very interesting. And that sort of proves the point (about seal and bass response), thanks. I believe people who say they are thin are not getting a good seal, even though they believe they are. Agree? Do you amp the PFEs too? Just curious.

Hmm.. Actually, bass (quantity) boost is the most apparent increase, but there's also a less prominent increase in staging and clarity. I think by sealing the leaks, you can hear the weaker frequencies (extreme lowest and highest around the roll off points in the response graph) so you get the perception of bass boost and better clarity\staging (helped by the minute details in high frequencies I believe).

I don't think it's that hard to get a good seal on phonaks, so I don't agree 100% with that point. I think some people are just too used to a higher quantity of bass. IE8, W3, SF5P, TF10P: I've owned those IEMs and all of those clearly output a higher amount\level of bass than the phonaks.

No amping for me, because I like how the tight punchy phonak bass sounds on my current mix of music (instrumental, classical, vocal, classic rock, bits of pop).

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #658 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. Actually, bass (quantity) boost is the most apparent increase, but there's also a less prominent increase in staging and clarity. I think by sealing the leaks, you can hear the weaker frequencies (extreme lowest and highest around the roll off points in the response graph) so you get the perception of bass boost and better clarity\staging (helped by the minute details in high frequencies I believe).

I don't think it's that hard to get a good seal on phonaks, so I don't agree 100% with that point. I think some people are just too used to a higher quantity of bass. IE8, W3, SF5P, TF10P: I've owned those IEMs and all of those clearly output a higher amount\level of bass than the phonaks.

No amping for me, because I like how the tight punchy phonak bass sounds on my current mix of music (instrumental, classical, vocal, classic rock, bits of pop).

Guess so. I suppose calling them "thin" or "overly analytical" comes down to preference. I like both styles of IEM, it seems.

We did just see someone post who was not getting a good seal, and when he read about it how to improve fit, he made the adjustment and now likes them even more.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #659 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM = IN EARS Monitor.
ScRyX
Anyway, do you like PFEs?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I do
L3000.gif
. But I must confess, that even without good seal, I liked the sound more and more, now its just amazing and I feel that they're gonna improve.
Btw. What change should I expect with Fiio E5(if I bought the iBasso T4, it would be too much money :p)...only more bass ?

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #660 of 3,305
If using a HP out, as Larry said, some added warmth and bass boost, along with more volume. If using a LOD, then even more detail and an enhanced SQ on more levels, though you are limited by the E5's capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back